How to turn this Blue Mountains route into 4 days?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

How to turn this Blue Mountains route into 4 days?

Postby PedroArvy » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 11:55 am

I asked for recommended Blue Mountains hikes a while ago and was given this route.

Day 1 - start at Kanangra Walls, take the Gingra track down to the Kowmung River (rough footpad most of the way)
Day 2 - stockyard spur/ ti Willa ridge / Compagnoni pass (a scramble assisted by metal spikes) / Ti Willa plateau / 100 man cave
Day 3 - Mt Cloudmaker - back to Kanangra Walls (rough track - patchy in places)

Can someone please suggest how to turn this into a 4-day hike?
I am ok with route finding and off-track hiking and am flexible on where to go.
Just not sure what the best areas are.

Thanks!
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: How to turn this Blue Mountains route into 4 days?

Postby kanangra » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 2:50 pm

Go really slow? :?
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Wollemi » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 3:07 pm

Go fishing for trout on day 2? Go on a cave tour at Jenolan Caves on the fourth day? Take your bicycle and go cycling on back country lanes near Oberon - good quality quiet dirt roads + there is a 5km rail-trail from Oberon to Hazelgrove.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby jonnosan » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 3:56 pm

Keep day 1 and 2 as is, on day 3 relocate to Dex's Creek and leave bags there while you go explore Gangerang Plateau (Karrung Top/Cara Top/Mount Moorilla). Day 4 would be as your original day 3.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Mark F » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 4:01 pm

If feeling fit, from Cloudmaker head out to Mt Stormbreaker or Mt Marooba Karoo and drop into Kanangra Creek and up Mt Paralyser. Then back along Thurat Ridge & FT.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 7:23 pm

A few other options.

4 day route.

Day 1 - start at Kanangra Walls, take the Gingra track. Right at first Top, Brumby ridge to KowmungR. Camp Orange bluff.
Day 2 - Start early, big day. Walk down Kowmung R to Roots ridge. Back up to Gingra Track and then down to Kowmung and camp.
Day 3 - stockyard spur/ ti Willa ridge / Compagnoni pass (a scramble assisted by metal spikes) / Ti Willa plateau / 100 man cave
Day 4 - Mt Cloudmaker - back to Kanangra Walls (rough track - patchy in places)

or

5 day route :twisted:

Day 1 - start at Kanangra Walls, coal seam track to bullhead ridge, negotiate Cambage spire (the easier pass is from memory near the first gully on the right, walk down stone slabs angling back on to the 'route/ middle of the spire), sullen tor, Camp Christy Crk/KowmungR.
Day 2 - Off track. Walk down the Kowmung R. Will be some wading and possibly swims required depending on water levels. But if levels are low then shin high wading is preferable to battling river scrub. Watch out for snakes :P Camp Orange bluff.
Day 3 - Start Early, big day. Up Brumby Ridge. Gingra Track and then down to Kowmung and camp.
Day 4 - stockyard spur/ ti Willa ridge / Compagnoni pass (a scramble assisted by metal spikes) / Ti Willa plateau / Camp 100 man cave
Day 5 - Mt Cloudmaker - back to Kanangra Walls

Note I wouldn’t do the 5 day route alone or without a PLB etc. Actually, I wouldn’t walk in Kanangra-Boyd NP at all without a PLB and detailed route plan given to friend/family kin. Both options require very good fitness and navigation/off track experience
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 9:38 pm

jonnosan wrote:Keep day 1 and 2 as is, on day 3 relocate to Dex's Creek and leave bags there while you go explore Gangerang Plateau (Karrung Top/Cara Top/Mount Moorilla). Day 4 would be as your original day 3.
^^^ Good suggestion... Could head out to Moorilla deck for lunch. A variation might be to leave the pack at Cloudmaker on day three and do the above suggestion as a day walk, collecting water at dexs on the way back and camping at one of the campsites between Cloudmaker and stormbreaker (or on stormbreaker itself subject to conditions... Good campsite). Would shorten the last day by a couple of hours.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PedroArvy » Thu 29 Aug, 2019 9:16 am

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:^^^ Good suggestion... Could head out to Moorilla deck for lunch. A variation might be to leave the pack at Cloudmaker on day three and do the above suggestion as a day walk, collecting water at dexs on the way back and camping at one of the campsites between Cloudmaker and stormbreaker (or on stormbreaker itself subject to conditions... Good campsite). Would shorten the last day by a couple of hours.

Sounds good.

Just wondering if you camp in the 100 man cave?
And can you get water at Ti Willa Creek to the northeast for this campsite?
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 29 Aug, 2019 10:27 am

PedroArvy wrote:
Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:^^^ Good suggestion... Could head out to Moorilla deck for lunch. A variation might be to leave the pack at Cloudmaker on day three and do the above suggestion as a day walk, collecting water at dexs on the way back and camping at one of the campsites between Cloudmaker and stormbreaker (or on stormbreaker itself subject to conditions... Good campsite). Would shorten the last day by a couple of hours.

Sounds good.

Just wondering if you camp in the 100 man cave?
And can you get water at Ti Willa Creek to the northeast for this campsite?
100 man cave is one of the best camps in the mountains IMO. Re water in Ti Willa it's highly variable and I don't have any recent beta. Wouldn't be surprised if it was dry at the moment but don't know. Can always carry extra up from the Kowmung knowing you'll be at dexs the following morning

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Thu 29 Aug, 2019 6:53 pm

Your original plan is the perfect 3-day trip. No need to mess with it.

I'm sure you could mow the lawn or something on Day 4.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 29 Aug, 2019 11:01 pm

ribuck wrote:Your original plan is the perfect 3-day trip. No need to mess with it.

I'm sure you could mow the lawn or something on Day 4.

if given the choice between mowing the lawn or having an extra days bushwalking I know what I'd choose. :D
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 7:01 am

OK, then.

Take one of the faintly-tracked ridges from the Gingra Track down to the Kowmung on Day 1. Hughes Ridge, Roots Ridge, Brumby Spur, etc. Camp on the Kowmung.

Day 2 proceed down the Kowmung to camp at the Gingra Creek junction. Then up Compagnoni Pass and complete your original itinerary.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 8:25 am

Interesting ribuck. What's the walking like down the kowmung from orange bluff to gingra track junction? I quite like the idea of this as a four day route, good combo of river and ridges.

Might be best to camp at the bottom hughes ridge the first night. From Christy creek to orange bluff 7km it took me about 6-7 hours. The distance from Hughes to the junction is slightly more than that.

Is there a decent flat spot to camp at Hughes?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tom_brennan » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 1:15 pm

wildwanderer wrote:What's the walking like down the kowmung from orange bluff to gingra track junction?

From Orange Bluff to Hughes is reasonable going - a half day's walk or so. Haven't been downstream of Hughes.

wildwanderer wrote:Is there a decent flat spot to camp at Hughes?

Ferny Flat is just near the bottom of Hughes Ridge, so decent camping.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby corker » Fri 11 Oct, 2019 3:26 pm

I have walked from Hughes down to the Gingra Creek junction. The going is quite good (except for pig disturbed areas) and there is no need to cross the river at all if you don't want to. I did the walk a few years ago, in the middle of winter, so river crossing was something to be avoided.
corker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT