Snowies Iconic Walk review

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Snowies Iconic Walk review

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 08 Aug, 2019 3:43 pm

The Snowies Iconic Walk and the Review of Environmental Factors has been released for public comment. The documents are available for viewing on the DPIE website at
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/consult
and at the following locations:
NPWS Snowy Region Visitor Centre, 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne
NPWS Tumut Region Visitor Centre, The Old Butter Factory, 5 Adelong Road, Tumut
NPWS office, 11 Farrer Place, Queanbeyan

You are invited to make a written submission on the Review of Environmental Factors and associated documents by 2 September 2019.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Snowies Iconic Walk review

Postby rcaffin » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 7:28 pm

I have read through ONE of the Reports on that web site, prepared by an environmental company called Biosys. I suspect they were paid according to the number of kilograms the report weighed.

The original route seems to have been shot down by all the environmental threats, but they continue. Amazing persistence.
What I would like to know is just which senior politician is pushing this concept.

I have some real doubts as to whether the project is affordable, or whether many people would use it. I note there is a big final-day stage walking down the mountainside from Perisher to Bullocks Flat (a rather large height change): I wonder just how many tourists might walk this stage, compared to how many might take the train down.

Hum....
Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 7:31 pm

rcaffin wrote:I have some real doubts as to whether the project is affordable, or whether many people would use it. I note there is a big final-day stage walking down the mountainside from Perisher to Bullocks Flat (a rather large height change): I wonder just how many tourists might walk this stage, compared to how many might take the train down.

I like trains. Not so much when they are in tunnels.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby crollsurf » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 10:21 pm

I kind of like the idea of a Bullocks Flat escape route. ATM you only have Thredbo and Charlottes.

The place is already being loved to death so the more you can keep people on track, the better. And the population is booming.

I'd like to take a closer look next week but if it's the same plan that was put forward a couple on months ago, I'm basically in favour of it. Government seems hell bent on mass immigrating. If you can't stop it, best you prepare for it and be grateful you enjoyed the way it was, much like those before us.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LachlanB » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 12:05 pm

Is there actually a map of the walk available anywhere? Maybe I was just digging thru the wrong docs, but I couldn't find anything official..
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rcaffin » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 1:04 pm

If you go to the government web site in the first posting, click on the Snowies Iconic walk URL, and scroll down until you find some URLs, the first one 'Snowies Iconic Walk ...' (35 MB) has full maps. Nice hi-res maps too.

URL is: https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/-/me ... 979241553D
which is a ridiculous length for a URL.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 2:36 pm

That doc is the same but different to what I read a short while back, fills in the gaps and paints a bigger picture.

I still like the idea of an iconic walk but as I'm reading and looking at the maps, I'm thinking why would you send the track down to Bullocks Flat? Why not traverse back across to Thredbo. Then it dawned on me, this isn't an Iconic Walk, this is just a way for the resorts (Crackenback in the case of Bullocks Flat) to get the public to pay for tourism infrastructure so they can make more money. Whats the bet they'll then ban camping from that whole area.

Happy the resorts pay for it but not sure why we, the taxpayers should have to stump up even 1 cent for it.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Wed 21 Aug, 2019 5:40 pm

Happy the resorts pay for it but not sure why we, the taxpayers should have to stump up even 1 cent for it.
IF true, doesn't that violate the ban on any further commercial development in any Park?
But then, since when did any politician pay any attention to any Laws when there is profit in view?

Whats the bet they'll then ban camping from that whole area.
Chuckle: they could try ... and fail very publicly.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 15 Jun, 2020 2:51 pm

This afternoon I received an email about KNP.
Snowies Iconic Walk project update - June 2020

We're happy to share progress of work on the Snowies Iconic Walk (working title) in this newsletter update. Spring 2019 saw many of the planning elements completed and approved. Summer provided an opportunity to commence construction on new sections of walking track, until the New Year brought the NSW bushfires to the mountains resulting in widespread evacuations from Kosciuszko National Park and surrounding towns. Fortunately, the project area was spared the worst impacts of the bushfires and work soon resumed on a number of fronts. We hope you enjoy this update.

Contents:
* Plan of Management Amendments
* Environmental assessment
* New walking track from Charlotte Pass to Guthega
* Mt Lee walkway
* Seamans Hut toilet

There are links to the amendments and a Review of the environmental factors.
https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/rese ... provements
http://s2.bl-1.com/h/cSKld0zo?url=https ... al-factors

The new steel mesh elevated walkways are good, but in exposed areas, especially on slopes, there is a risk of being blown off in strong winds. This happened to be on the Mount Lee walkway six months ago, with others on the the walkway stopping and crouching. A rail is needed. The AAWT may go on the new track from Charlotte Pass to Guthega Village, much better than 40 kilometres of mainly busy roads. From Guthega Village it's possible to go north to Mount Tate.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 8:50 am

I've walked the original alignment for the Perisher - Guthega section. Glad they didn't go for that, because it crosses a lot of very sensitive ground. I quite like the route, but not the idea of another over fancy, facilities up the wazoo, reservation-only money-spinner.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT