Barrington Tops 3 day hikes

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Barrington Tops 3 day hikes

Postby sarah7986 » Sat 16 Aug, 2014 7:55 am

I'm looking for suggestions for 3 day hikes in Barrington Tops (or another park in the area) for a trip in September. Any help appreciated as I haven't visited the area before. Thanks.
sarah7986
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Barrington Tops 3 day hikes

Postby kevster » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 11:30 pm

To answer this question will depend on whether you are going in a group, whether you have access to multiple vehicles, where you are coming from and whether endless driving to setup cars is not going to burn a friendship, whether you like to do climbs and happy with 20km+ days or happy to do car camping.
Three days (2 nights) in a loop could mean you could i) start at Gloucester Tops and head to Carey's Peak (night 1) via the Link Trail and explore the plateau (night 2) before returning the same way. These are 25km plus days but relatively minor ascents and descents.
Another option ii) is to start at Lagoon Pinch and take the Corker Trail to Carey's Peak (about 12km) but ascending 900m and stay night 1. Explore the plateau (minding the Phytophthora area) and stay a night 2 before heading back down the Corker Trail. You could also spend Night 2 at Selby Alley hut before resuming the Corker Trail descent.
Option iii) and there are too many options is maybe start at Gloucester River and take the Mountaineer path which winds up to Gloucester Tops. This is a tight single night hike but could be spread out over 2 nights as exploring the Gloucester Tops area can be fun and to take it all in. The western area of the NP also offers numerous walks onto the high plateau as well. Hope this all helps!
kevster
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby forest » Thu 21 Aug, 2014 8:16 am

Lots of options for three nights.
Kevster has suggested some good ones.
Careys Peak and the Junction Pools area would me my main tip, really nice spots. There is some nice little loops around that area, Aeroplane Hill, Edwards Swamp Track, Barrington Trail etc.
The National Parks website is a lot more helpful than it was, looks to have had a recent upgrade. Edwards Swamp track doesn't show up but it loops from Carey's Peak back around to Junction Pools, it's nice walking.
How you get there, well that's half the fun in planning that. I'm a Corker Trail fan but do enjoy a good climb, it's a bit of a buster though but well worth it.
IMO best way into Barringtoon Tops, you really get to see all the different forest types change as you gain elevation.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby kjbeath » Sat 23 Aug, 2014 1:17 pm

My suggestions would be the same as kevsters, except after the link trail from Gloucester Tops camp at Wombat Creek. It has easier access to water, although it doesn't give the option to watch the sunrise. For the daywalk a side trip to Selby Alley hut is very worthwhile although the track off the Corker is not marked, then Careys Peak, Edwards Swamp, Junction Pools, Aeroplane Hill and back to Wombat Creek makes a nice day.

With a Car shuffle it is possible to go up the corker to Wombat creek with a side trip to Careys Peak, across the Link trail to Gloucester Tops, and then down the Mountaineer and the Mt Nelson Trail.

Another way in is from Polblue, walking along the Barrington Trail. Problem is the 4WD and would probably not want to camp with them a Junction Pools. Could go just to Little Murray, a very short day and have a loop walking around the Tops for a relaxed 3 day walk. I wouldn't bother walking to Mt Barrington.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidmorr » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 10:53 pm

kevster wrote:To answer this question will depend on whether you are going in a group, whether you have access to multiple vehicles, where you are coming from and whether endless driving to setup cars is not going to burn a friendship, whether you like to do climbs and happy with 20km+ days or happy to do car camping.
Three days (2 nights) in a loop could mean you could i) start at Gloucester Tops and head to Carey's Peak (night 1) via the Link Trail and explore the plateau (night 2) before returning the same way. These are 25km plus days but relatively minor ascents and descents.
I think you are being a bit pessimistic. Gloucester Tops to Carey's Peak is only 19km according to NPWS. Knock about 3 off that if you camp at Wombat Creek. Wombat Creek - Carey's Peak - Edwards Swamp Trail - Junction Pools - Aeroplane Hill - Black Swamp - Wombat Creek would not be any more than 19km, probably less.

I did both of these walks at Easter. Really lovely three days of walking. Even better is if you can get someone to drop you off and pick you up is to go down the Corker to Lagoon Pinch instead of back to Gloucester Tops. Do not try to do a car shuffle - it is a very long way. I would guess about two hours from one end to the other by road.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 22 May, 2020 12:34 pm

To revive this thread I'm curious about this area. I've never been here before but looking to plan a trip to get away for 3 days once where allowed too.
Whats the walking in Barrington NP like? A bit of research seems to indicate that its all 4wd tracks everywhere. Is this right? Are there walking tracks up there? Looking to stay away from wide roads.
Also what we be the recommendations for a bit of a circuit in this park over 3 days?

Cheers in advance.
Huntsman247

Postby davidmorr » Fri 22 May, 2020 1:00 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:Whats the walking in Barrington NP like? A bit of research seems to indicate that its all 4wd tracks everywhere. Is this right? Are there walking tracks up there? Looking to stay away from wide roads.
Also what we be the recommendations for a bit of a circuit in this park over 3 days?

Most of the tracks are on closed and largely unused roads (Corker, Link Trail) and are very pleasant walking. Most of the active roads are closed over winter too.

And ofc at present the park is closed for any camping.

Note also the Phytophthera quarantine area covering the Watergauge Trail, the Big Hole and Beean Beean. Please keep out of it. Already there are other areas showing signs of phytophtera infestation :-(
Last edited by davidmorr on Fri 22 May, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Fri 22 May, 2020 6:50 pm

All I know about the place is that pig hunters love it. Must have a pretty reliable feral population for people to travel from everywhere to hunt it? Besides distance that’s one of the reasons I’ve never been in a hurry to get there, although it does look spectacular and wild!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 22 May, 2020 7:37 pm

The 4wd off shoot tracks are all gated due to COVID at the moment as davidmorr said above, with restrictions set to ease June 1st- which conveniently for us walkers, coincides with the dates that NPWS routinely LOCK the vehicle gates for the Winter season. :D Best time to walk when you can have your pick of the campsites with no 4wders with associated noise and activity.

The main 4wd access point that goes along the top (through Polblue area and out through the Dingo Gate down to Moonan Brook) stays open all year though- plenty of people up there trying to see the snow through Winter. Avoid that section and you are sweet.

Perfectly possible to get a nice 3 day walk in, but planning it so that you don't need a car shuffle is the thing to consider. Access points for the NP are located quite some distance from each other, so better to go in and out via the one way ie. Gloucester Tops , or alternatively Williams River (lovely singletrack walk along Rocky Crossing Track then onto the Corker from there) and explore in a loop of some sort once up the top. Yes, most of the tracks up on the plateau are wide and although closed to vehicles are wide enough to accommodate them. Such a special place though, huts to find and explore, if going in via Rocky Crossing, you start your day in beautiful rainforest surrounds and end up in a sub alpine environment. Pretty amazing shift in a single days walking.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 23 May, 2020 8:33 am

Plenty of options for 3 days and lots of info on Barrington tops to be found. I would concur the walk up from where the old guest house was via Rocky creek is worthwhile. Lots of leaches though. Then the corker which is steep but not too difficult. If you can find Selby Alley hut then it would be a great place to camp and base or there are the other places such as Wombat creek. I have done some off track navigation to Junction Pools which avoids the roads and would be a day excursion which could include the peak. The link road is also a nice walk in and an easier grade. I wonder if NPWS has changed the sign at the start which has the distance well exaggerated. Good views when it is clear and great vegetation. Keep an eye out for the strangling figs along the Rocky Creek walk.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 23 May, 2020 11:13 am

Xplora wrote: I wonder if NPWS has changed the sign at the start which has the distance well exaggerated.

Nope, still there :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 25 May, 2020 2:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and info! Much food for thought.
Don't worry I'm well aware of the restrictions atm and have exercised great self control to obey them.
But like many here on the forum I plan to do a bit more serious self isolation when the restrictions allow for it.
Huntsman247

Postby Ant71 » Mon 25 May, 2020 7:53 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
Xplora wrote: I wonder if NPWS has changed the sign at the start which has the distance well exaggerated.

How long is the Link trail? And how long would it take to walk approximately?
Ant71
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Neo » Mon 25 May, 2020 9:45 pm

A couple of January's ago I parked at the end of Kerripit Trail and walked the Link Trail, camping by the trail near Wombat Creek campground. It was an overgrown fire trail and pretty nice walking. One night out, think I got water at Wombat.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 25 May, 2020 11:40 pm

Ant71 wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:

How long is the Link trail?

It's about 20km. Neos description trail description is accurate, not sure how long it would take you. No big ascent like coming in from the Corker
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 26 May, 2020 6:07 am

Old thread here with more info. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3667
My recollection is about half day to or from Wombat. I can recall doing the Corker and the Link trail in a day (summer) pretty easy. Found lots of Tiger snakes on the link trail that year. Can't remember the distance on the sign but remember thinking the first time we did it that we must have walked very fast.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby davidmorr » Tue 26 May, 2020 3:39 pm

Ant71 wrote:How long is the Link trail? And how long would it take to walk approximately?

It is about 14 km each way, Gloucester Tops to Wombat Creek. Add a couple of km to get to Carey's Peak. Easy walking, very pleasant rainforest. Water at Wombat Creek or behind Darby Munro Hut near the start. Not much elsewhere as it is along a ridge top.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby 25766 » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 7:44 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote: or alternatively Williams River (lovely singletrack walk along Rocky Crossing Track then onto the Corker from there) and explore in a loop of some sort once up the top.

Would a loop from Williams River via Rocky Crossing Track, The Corker Trail, Link Trail and Mt Nelson Trail work as a two night walk?

I'm unsure if one can leave the car at the Williams River Day Use Area and how to get from the Mt. Nelson Trail back to the Williams River Day Use Area (without having to walk down Chichester Rd and back up Sailsbury Rd).
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 1:19 pm

Yes, you can leave the car at the day use area, but getting back to it from your route would be very difficult. I haven't been on the Mount Nelson trail but from talking to others, I believe then trail goes onto/through private property, although looking at a topo it doesn't appear so.
Another option is if you park at Gloucester Tops (near the Antartic Beech Walk/River loop etc) you could walk the Link Trail across, overnight somewhere do a bit of a loop/explore up on the plateau, returning to your car via the Link Trail the next day. Depends on how far you like to comfortably walk.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zebrofski » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 7:37 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Yes, you can leave the car at the day use area, but getting back to it from your route would be very difficult. I haven't been on the Mount Nelson trail but from talking to others, I believe then trail goes onto/through private property, although looking at a topo it doesn't appear so.
Another option is if you park at Gloucester Tops (near the Antartic Beech Walk/River loop etc) you could walk the Link Trail across, overnight somewhere do a bit of a loop/explore up on the plateau, returning to your car via the Link Trail the next day. Depends on how far you like to comfortably walk.

Hello. I am pretty new to the Hunter Valley and looking to get my feet wet in the hiking/camping scene. I would like to do a 1 night camping trip on the following trial.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/th ... areys-peak

Is that the same as what you suggested above, I imagine not because you suggested doing a loop of some sort? Also I assume Wombat Camp Ground is at the end of the 19km trail (one-way), or is it somewhere else along the trail?
Zebrofski
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Warin » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 9:44 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Yes, you can leave the car at the day use area, but getting back to it from your route would be very difficult. I haven't been on the Mount Nelson trail but from talking to others, I believe then trail goes onto/through private property, although looking at a topo it doesn't appear so.

NSW NP boundaries are in OSM and are shown as a dark green line. See
https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?qu ... 7/151.6100

The lighter green colured area should be trees ... the boundary is shown as coinciding with the park boundary in this area.

In any case the above link shows the Mount Nelson trail does go outside the NP in the south, and that area is probably private property. The LPI Base Map could have some more detail.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 09 Jun, 2020 9:04 am

Bingo! Thanks Warin, you were more motivated than I am and actually pulled the map out. Thank you, that fits with the local account of the trail.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zebrofski » Sun 28 Jun, 2020 6:54 pm

I did the link trail last weekend and camped at Black Swamp. Was quite a pleasant experience. I am curious why the NSW website says it is 38km return on the link trail (thus 19km oneway), when google earth says the trail is only 13 or so km.

I was very impressed with myself on the way out walking the trail in 4 hours and 15 minutes (taking into account the extra 3-4km to black swamp campground), but when I thought about it some more I realized noway that could be right. Seems like a pretty silly thing to get so wrong.
Zebrofski
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby davidmorr » Sun 28 Jun, 2020 7:23 pm

The distance has been wrong for 30 years. Probably not going to be fixed any time soon.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zebrofski » Mon 29 Jun, 2020 6:07 pm

davidmorr wrote:The distance has been wrong for 30 years. Probably not going to be fixed any time soon.

Well I am going to call National Parks NSW tomorrow and give them a piece of my mind. I do not take such foolishness lightly.
Zebrofski
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby davidmorr » Mon 29 Jun, 2020 7:37 pm

Mostly nowadays they give estimates as time rather than distance. And usually the time they give is for the general public, ie, someone dawdling along with a small child.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bush_walker » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 11:13 am

Hi All,
I am also wiling to walk in Barrington top area, living in Sydney and planning drive to Newcastle Friday night and start walk Saturday morning.
I need suggestion of two days one night walk route, but will be solo walk so need a loop or return type walk.
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby davidmorr » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 12:04 pm

There are probably lots of options, but if you have not been there before, the classic Barrington Tops walk starts from Lagoon Pinch and goes up the Corker to camp at Wombat Creek. From there you could go up to Carey's Peak for sunset. Return to Lagoon Pinch the next day.

Alternatively, if you are up to walking further, you could carry on past Wombat Creek to Black Swamp and over Aeroplane Hill to Junction Pools. The next day head out on Edwards Swamp track which will take you around to Carey's Peak, then back to the car.

The other approach is to drive up on to the plateau, and do the loop above starting from Polblue or Murray's Swamp.

Beware that this time of year, snow is possible, and the gates may be closed on the road that goes across the tops.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT