Warrumbungle NP: Mt Exmouth vs Bluff Mtn, which is better?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Warrumbungle NP: Mt Exmouth vs Bluff Mtn, which is better?

Postby mandragara » Wed 01 Apr, 2020 9:42 pm

Hi,

I'm in the midst of a debate with my walking friends as to which mountain in the Warrumbungle NP is the better of the two, Mt Exmouth or Bluff Mountain?

Some arguments offered for Bluff Mountain:

1) It's easier to integrate into a day walk that includes Grand High Tops
2) It has lusher vegetation on the way up, with more grass trees of greater height.
3) It looks more impressive from below, so it feels like more of an accomplishment to have climbed it.
4) A circuit which includes Mt Exmouth requires a less scenic firetrail descent and then a road bash to complete the loop.

Some arguments offered for Mt Exmouth:

1) The peak is sharper and therefore the views are more impressive, more of a 'top of the world' feeling.
2) Eagles appear to ride the thermals there more often, so you're more likely to see an eagle up close
3) If you do Bluff Mountain+Grand High Tops, you miss out on Cathedral arch etc. which is not a point in favour of Bluff Mountain.
4) The ascent is easier from a terrain point of view, easier on the knees.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to weigh in on this hotly debated topic. We're currently 4:3 in favour of Mt Exmouth, so the matter is not settled!
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Warrumbungle NP: Mt Exmouth vs Bluff Mtn, which is bette

Postby johnw » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 7:34 am

I've done the Grand High Tops circuit and some of the shorter walks but neither Bluff or Exmouth.
Noticing the knee comment, for me whatever descent is easiest is the one I'd likely go with.
Climbing actually doesn't bother me at all, but really steep downhill can be excruciating these days.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paul8 » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 5:33 am

mandragara,
You can climb both Mt Exmouth and Bluff Mtn as a day trip :D
I did that ... trip report is in: http://mntviews.blogspot.com/2015/10/mt-exmouth-bluff-mtn-warrumbungle-np.html
paul8
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mandragara » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 10:21 pm

paul8 wrote:mandragara,
You can climb both Mt Exmouth and Bluff Mtn as a day trip :D
I did that ... trip report is in: http://mntviews.blogspot.com/2015/10/mt-exmouth-bluff-mtn-warrumbungle-np.html

You can, but getting out of your comfy Warrumbungle Mountain Motel bed early enough to do it all in daylight is a bit of an ask.

I have an 'aim to leave at 7am, actually leave at 8am, decide to get breakfast and effectively leave at 9am sort of attitude. Plus a good torch!
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT