Hiking the Wellington Falls Track in Wellington Park

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hiking the Wellington Falls Track in Wellington Park

Postby Kruchiver » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 6:00 pm

Recently, I hiked to Wellington Falls on what would become one of the more physically demanding hikes I have done to date. That’s not to say that the track itself would be rated as super difficult from people who hike a lot. Rather, for a relative novice like myself, my body felt pretty wrecked by the end of it due to the uneven ground.

Wellington Falls is the tallest waterfall in the Wellington Park at over 50 metres high and surrounded by impressive dolerite cliffs. With a lot of rain falling in the preceding days, the waterfall was likely to be putting on a powerful display. So, the goal was to photograph the Falls, but having never been there before, nothing was guaranteed on what I might be able to capture given my lack of knowledge of the area and the rough terrain to be overcome to get a clear view.

To get to Wellington Falls you can drive up to an area called The Springs on Mt Wellington and then commence the hike by heading off in a South Westerly direction via the Milles Track. This track eventually joins the Wellington Falls track. All in all it is around a 13km round trip.

Below is a video of my efforts on that day.

Visit https://www.samkruijver.com to view my videos or photos.
Kruchiver
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hiking the Wellington Falls Track in Wellington Park

Postby CBee » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 7:16 pm

Happy rock-hopping on the potato field. Did you see the disappearing tarn?
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Hiking the Wellington Falls Track in Wellington Park

Postby Kruchiver » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 8:57 pm

No I missed it. But after doing further research after I did my walk I now have a fair idea where it is. But, I'm not 100% sure there was any water left. Can't wait to go back
Visit https://www.samkruijver.com to view my videos or photos.
Kruchiver
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania