Western Arthurs - Junction Creek crossing after rain

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western Arthurs - Junction Creek crossing after rain

Postby Xastorm » Mon 16 Mar, 2020 9:35 pm

Was looking at walking in this Saturday afternoon as Friday’s rain looks pretty serious.

https://www.yr.no/place/Australia/Tasma ... /long.html

However, is Junction Creek likely to be too high to cross safely by Saturday afternoon?
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Western Arthurs - Junction Creek crossing after rain

Postby pazzar » Mon 16 Mar, 2020 9:56 pm

Hard to say without having knowledge of the current levels. At low water the creek is barely boot height, so 10mm won't make it impassable. It really depends what you are comfortable with. I have crossed in very high water (over chest deep) by walking upstream until I have found a fallen log to cross on, but usually I wouldn't cross if it is above thigh deep.

You can get an idea of what it might be like by checking the Huon River levels - http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDT60152.html
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 6:25 am

There is a log crossing at Junction currently. I crossed it in flood in Dec. without getting wet feet. The next creek just before Morraine A however was a different story.

As Pazzar says it's hard to know until it happens. Most creeks can be crossed safely somehow unless it's really poured.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xastorm » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 6:50 am

Thanks both. Friday looks like significant rainfall but given you’re alerted me to potentially difficult crossing after JC, there seems no benefit in heading in Thursday to sit it out the other side of JC. No heroics from me so if it looks risky, I’ll abort mission!
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 7:19 am

Well you could camp on the plains. Or just below morraine a. If you have the choice to leave Thursday id be giving that some consideration.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xastorm » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 7:29 am

Okay excellent suggestion, thankyou. Looks like there’s a good weather window M-T-W so I’d like to take advantage of that and be on the ridgeline then.
Cheers :)
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Azza » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 8:37 am

The other thing is that the creeks don't necessarily rise immediately.

Having just been in SW and experienced a day of significant rain, the creeks actually went down.
Turns out they were all up from significant rainfall the week prior, and we thought they were going to rise further but they actually fell.

There is no certainty here. I'd tend to think you're best to walk in the rain on Friday and get through before the full amount of rain has fallen.
Saturday is probably going to be when the creeks are peaking... but who knows.
Speaking from experience sitting around in sunny weather waiting for creeks to go down sucks.
But also speaking from experience crossing flooded rivers is even worse.
Its certainly up in my top 5 really bad, could have ended is disaster things I've done.
Luckily these are creeks..
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby CBee » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 1:18 pm

Of all the creeks we crossed two or three weeks ago on the plains, after 1 and half days of decent rain, Junction was the easiest (rope and many logs across). Just make sure you camp further up and away from the creek. Two Mile creek was a tough customer to cross and Wullyawa creek campsite is to avoid because the creek has many close bends and can quickly flood, trapping you in the middle. Seven mile creek also had a decent amount of water but is easier to wade closer to the range (south of campsite). I found the flooded plains the hardest part of the Arthur's trip by far.
CBee

Region: Queensland

Postby Rai » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 6:27 pm

In case it helps, here is a picture of junction creek about a week and a half ago during the long weekend. Rope and logs made it quite easy to cross.

Site won't let me attach an image :roll:
Rai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xastorm » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 9:19 pm

Thanks all, appreciate it. I am now planning to walk in Thursday to avoid any potential flooding and sit out Friday's weather if necessary.
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wander » Wed 18 Mar, 2020 6:44 am

We have crossed Junction when it's waist deep without issue.

We did sit and watch for a while to ascertain how much stuff was moving down the creek and likely to knock us down. Quick trip across and back without pack to check what we could not see. Took a lot of care and time with packs. All good.

It did help we were planning to stop on the other side and so could take our time with the crossing and be able to dry out before moving on.

We expected the creek to rise further overnight hence troubling to cross it upon arrival in lieu of stopping and waiting.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby Xastorm » Tue 24 Mar, 2020 9:01 pm

River crossings were not an issue but the WAfers kicked my a*s somewhat! I chose poorly leaving when I did, as the ‘weather window’ ended up being 5 days of rain.

Having never been to the WA before I’m not sure whether this degree of runoff is to be expected.. the track was mostly under water and resembled a stream.
This is the scramble out of Oberon.
https://youtu.be/yaa-2Qw41sQ

I chose to turn back instead of going on as visibility was about 50-100m in general, so I wasn’t getting many views. Another time hopefully! This hike would be amazing in good weather, as the bit I did was pretty good in poor! :)
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 6:42 am

It's rock. When it rains, the water has to go somewhere. It can't soak in through rock so it runs down instead. Very normal in Tassie.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Xastorm » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 11:42 am

Fair call, thanks.
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby CBee » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 2:33 pm

Descending Mt. Capricorn in heavy rain/wind with a heavy pack, is something it should be taken seriously by bushwalkers. Most of the rock is grippy on the Arthurs, but you find a fair amount covered in lichen and very slippery.
CBee

Region: Queensland

Return to Tasmania