Water on south coast track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water on south coast track

Postby Sasha444 » Thu 02 Jan, 2020 7:24 pm

Could anyone who has done this walk recently advise on the availability of water at the campsites. I’ve heard from Par Avion that some camp sites now have no water . Setting out on Saturday so would appreciate info .
Sasha444
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Water on south coast track

Postby Azza » Fri 03 Jan, 2020 9:46 am

That is a bit of a vague statement by Par Avion.
Its probably fairly dry down there, but you would expect the major creeks to still have something.
e.g.
Faraway Creek / Louisa River near the campsite.

Prion Campsite I seem to remember there was water from a creek back in the forest behind the camp, or the book says 5 minutes up the lagoon.

Surprise Rivulet

I would suggest loading up on water and carrying a few litres whenever you can, until you get a sense of the water situation and you'll probably run into people going the other direction and you can quiz them on the water situation ahead.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 03 Jan, 2020 11:31 am

Yeh I agree with Azza. I'd imagine the only problem areas might be osmiridium, surprise bay and the South cape rivulet. Everywhere else has good creeks.
Prion can be a bit brackish but plenty there.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Don R » Sat 04 Jan, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi , I just finished in the last two days walking the South Coast Track. It is drier than usual. It is still boggy, ie near osmiridium Beach, and after Granite Beach heading to Cockle. Water is a little restricted. There is good supplies at Louisa River, Deadman's, Granite Beach, the creek at the western end of Prion Beach, the creeks between Deadman’s and the next beach. Water is also available at the creek crossing on the seaward side of the Ironbounds near the top of the range, and at the little creek crossing on the Ironbound descent about 2 kms from Deadman’s. There is a suitable trickle at Tyler’s Creek above Osmiridium but nothing at Lithograph Creek. There is good water on the way to Louisa River. Plenty of water on the beaches around Eric Point. It is definitely drier after the Ironbound Range on the way to Cockle Creek. You will need to carry water from Covkle to the rivulet (plenty of water there). New River Lagoon and the creek between New River and the next campsite is brackish.
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby hungryhiker » Tue 14 Jan, 2020 2:43 pm

Don R wrote:Hi , I just finished in the last two days walking the South Coast Track. It is drier than usual. It is still boggy, ie near osmiridium Beach, and after Granite Beach heading to Cockle. Water is a little restricted. There is good supplies at Louisa River, Deadman's, Granite Beach, the creek at the western end of Prion Beach, the creeks between Deadman’s and the next beach. Water is also available at the creek crossing on the seaward side of the Ironbounds near the top of the range, and at the little creek crossing on the Ironbound descent about 2 kms from Deadman’s. There is a suitable trickle at Tyler’s Creek above Osmiridium but nothing at Lithograph Creek. There is good water on the way to Louisa River. Plenty of water on the beaches around Eric Point. It is definitely drier after the Ironbound Range on the way to Cockle Creek. You will need to carry water from Covkle to the rivulet (plenty of water there). New River Lagoon and the creek between New River and the next campsite is brackish.

Hi Don,

Thanks for the water update. I'm not heading out until mid Feb but water advise and what to keep an eye out or ask passing hikers is always useful.

Do you recall what the water was like at Milford Creek and whether this was accessible from the track?

It is before Lithograph Creek and thought it may be an option to stock up before Osmirdium if its dry as the trickle from Tyler's may not be there later in summer. I've attached a little map for reference.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 3.38.49 pm.png
hungryhiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby philm » Wed 15 Jan, 2020 7:09 am

We filled up water after the row boat crossing. It was very dry and little drinkable water in the creek near Osmiridium
We walked into the camp but then walked out as it was very dry will stagnant water only
We walked on to Surprise Bay one of the best camps on the track
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Don R » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 11:20 pm

Hi, Milford Creek was very brackish below the bridge. It might be ok if you wade upstream a fair way. I ended up carrying over three litres of water per day. Sorry about the late reply, I’ve just got back from Frenchman’s and Tas. I would consider treating the water as well. Where there are major watercourses crossing beaches it is generally ok, the Rivulet to Cockle Creek for example is amply supplied.
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Return to Tasmania