'Street View' to a park near you

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby Nuts » Sat 21 Dec, 2019 10:32 am

I guess it was inevitable that this came to Tassie parks. 'Google' (I'd like to think that should read 'Gutwein') strapped cameras to our park staff and sent them off on their duty (whatever in one's god's name that is these days): https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/65 ... nia/?cs=87
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: 'Street View' to a park near you

Postby bushwalker zane » Sat 21 Dec, 2019 12:23 pm

You can visit the top museums of the world on google, you can take a stroll through the most famous city parks on google, and now you can go bushwalking on google.

Who needs to ever leave the comfort of their arm chair now? Has anyone seen the film Idiocracy?... :lol:
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 21 Dec, 2019 1:06 pm

And there are a lot of people who would like to be a part of seeing the view who cannot for a great many reasons. I'd put money that before 2030 we have a vocal and public environmental activist who becomes that solely due to seeing photos of places they could never get to themselves, and probably without even having access to more than a city park. Sometimes it isn't about comfort, and I think the planet needs all the allies it can get right now.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Warin » Sat 21 Dec, 2019 3:28 pm

Would be nice to views of before fires... :?

And probably after at various stages of (hopeful) regrowth.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Sun 22 Dec, 2019 7:07 pm

Edit: Headline from another source (not the newspaper) 'Google strapped some Park and Wildlife staff into camera backpacks and sent them on their merry way'

Gadgetgeek wrote:And there are a lot of people who would like to be a part of seeing the view who cannot for a great many reasons. Sometimes it isn't about comfort, and I think the planet needs all the allies it can get right now.

I think these areas have all the useful allies they can reasonably take! If as part of a bigger picture, then ok, by what measure do we intend to diminish wilderness to preserve it?

It's interesting you refer to access for those who can't see these places. The author refers to being able to see places before you then go and visit. Both are becoming very popular reasons. And especially so for developers and publishers. As opposed to acceptance & responsibility. Adventure, stoicism, exploration & discovery.

bushwalker zane wrote:Who needs to ever leave the comfort of their arm chair now? Has anyone seen the film Idiocracy?... :lol:

yes! :lol: (not exactly sure why i'm laughing either...)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Mon 23 Dec, 2019 3:02 pm

OK whilst they stay on the easy walks - Cant see anyone wanting to lug the Google camera along the Western Arthurs! I also doubt they will do the "premium tracks" like Two Capes or the Overland, commercial interests might complain!

https://www.google.com/maps/@-42.576508 ... 312!8i6656
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Nuts » Mon 23 Dec, 2019 4:01 pm

I used street view on a long bike tour, it was tremendously helpful, and where it wasn't it was interesting.. if not really necessary.

We just can't stop though can we, enforced limits to our condition are the very ideal of wilderness.

Lots of harder to get at places than Western Arthurs: https://newatlas.com/mountain-tops-goog ... iew/26699/
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Mon 23 Dec, 2019 4:25 pm

tastrax wrote:OK whilst they stay on the easy walks - Cant see anyone wanting to lug the Google camera along the Western Arthurs! I also doubt they will do the "premium tracks" like Two Capes or the Overland, commercial interests might complain!

Can't see why not. They did the seven top NZ Great Walks years ago.

https://blog.doc.govt.nz/2015/11/06/the ... ogle-maps/
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Return to Tasmania