Thumbs up for TWE bushwalking transport

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Thumbs up for TWE bushwalking transport

Postby andrewp » Fri 06 Dec, 2019 1:11 pm

We recently had to abort a Franklands Range traverse ending up back at Serpentine Dam, with our transport arranged for Scotts Peak several days later. We asked a passing tourist if they could call Tasmanian Wilderness Experiences when they had mobile reception. We camped by the side of the road expecting to have to walk a very wet 13km to Strathgordon the next day to mobile coverage to find out what was happening. We were just taking down our tents at 8:00am when Kevin drove up with bus. It was a very welcome sight. He'd set off at 5:30am. Definitely above and beyond service.

If you need transport out of Hobart I can highly recommend TWE https://www.twe.travel/

I have no interest in TWE, just a satisfied customer.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Thumbs up for TWE bushwalking transport

Postby crollsurf » Fri 06 Dec, 2019 4:11 pm

I had good experience with Overland Track Transport so happy to give them a shout out for good service but what TWE did was exceptional and shows they know what they're doing. They're all very nice down down in Tassie.

Definitely consider using TWE in the future as well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewp » Fri 06 Dec, 2019 4:16 pm

TWE are based in Hobart so they're not really competitive for transport to Cradle. Better for Lake St Clair, Frenchmans, Eldons, Arthurs, Cockle Creek etc.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby coimon » Fri 06 Dec, 2019 4:48 pm

I've dealt with them in the past and had a great experience. Kevin was really nice and very helpful.
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby bernieq » Sun 08 Dec, 2019 9:49 pm

The conditions up on the range were attrocious and we were fortunate that all our tents survived. As we came back across the fully exposed slopes of Mt Sprent, we were struggling to stand at times - bursts of hail adding to the penetrating wind. Part of the route clambers over an up-sloping rock but it's now covered in ice and impassable - 30 exposed bone chilling minutes to find a route around it.

So, the next morning, although much revived, I wasn't looking forward to the 13km wet road bash to Strathgordon. I didn't anticipate Kevin being able to pick us up for a couple of days at least - but the relief when, bright and cheery, he arrives at 8am, was considerable.

Thanks, Kevin for going the extra mile - I highly recommend Tasmanian Wilderness Experience - really great service.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Don R » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 11:31 pm

I’ve just used TWE for pickup from Cockle Creek. Great service but be aware of:
1. Kevin may turn up earlier than scheduled (he turned up an hour early for-me) so be ready to move before the pickup time;
2. TWE services areas like Frenchmans Cap more infrequently, so organise well in advance. Or if going to Frenchman’s, use Tassielink ($53 for adults from Hobart one way or half that for students) Tassielink will pick up in Hobart CBD on Friday or Tuesday. The drivers, Seth and Paul, are real characters (like Kevin).
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby rangersac » Tue 21 Jan, 2020 8:07 am

Be aware that the Tassielink service to Frenchman's, which was part of the direct Hobart to Strahan route, is now no longer operating.
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania