Tarkine Coast phone reception

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tarkine Coast phone reception

Postby tigercat » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 8:28 am

Anyone know if there is any phone reception between Temma and Pieman Heads?
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tarkine Coast phone reception

Postby Biggles » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 10:39 am

My last trip to Arthur River (last October) gave me a 4-bar (strongest) 3G / 4G signal and this continued as far as Temma (where I camped, not proceeding any further). I think there will be reasonably good reception south from Temma close to the coast, but I would not guarantee it. In many isolated places you may be surprised to receive an SMS from Telstra advising that you are in a Small Cell Area, a sort of pared-down facility that provides basic communication ability (but generally not data).

See Telstra'a 4G coverage map of Tasmania and zoom to Temma on the west coast. —>https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/our-coverage

Move the map down and you will find that there is nothing at all at Pieman River so your only link with civilisation, if needed, if via the Arcadia II that chugs down the Pieman to the Heads and back. Carry a satellite phone if staying in comms is needed.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Tarkine Coast phone reception

Postby Splinter » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 6:24 pm

Last summer I got a phone call out from the tip of Sandy Cape, but had no signal from anywhere further south.
Splinter
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania