Port Davey & South Coast track radio reception

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Port Davey & South Coast track radio reception

Postby wombat4787 » Sat 31 Aug, 2019 10:21 am

Hi all,

I'm doing the Port Davey & South Coast tracks next year. I've seen a couple of people recommend a small radio for regular weather updates. Seems sensible to me. I've wandered over to http://reception.abc.net.au/ to check for frequencies in the area. Chapman recommends Hobart 936 AM. Can someone confirm I can get reception in these areas with this, or an alternative, frequency? Also, is there a regular time slot for "bushwalker weather" or are we just talking about the usual weather forecast?

thanks
wombat4787
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Port Davey & South Coast track radio reception

Postby peregrinator » Sat 31 Aug, 2019 2:03 pm

I walk in mainly in Vic, sometimes SA and NSW, so here's some limited advice. (I'd also walk in Tas, if someone knows where I can get free plane and ferry tickets.)

Portables vary in sensitivity. I read good reports about a Sony model which does seem better than other brands I've used. It has been discontinued, but the replacement model (Sony ICFP26) seems as though it might be very similar if not identical in performance.

The ABC local AM Hobart station's coverage map doesn't appear to be great for the SW, but note that it's based on daytime broadcasts. Expect much wider coverage nocturnally.

But there's the rub. The best weather reports are during the day. If Hobart has the same format as the states I mentioned, the Country Hour program has a cross to a BoM forecaster at c. 12:35 Monday to Friday. You'd normally get a five or six day forecast. Not a "bushwalker forecast", but being addressed to farmers and rural workers, it doesn't assume all listeners are sitting on a couch or in an office. So you might get anticipated rainfall tallies, wind warnings, etc. In other states there are also reports from the BoM on regional stations at c.17:35, and at varying times in the morning, e.g. 06:35. But so far as I can see from the ABC's website, there are no regional stations in Tasmania. That makes sense given the geographical size of the state. So I wouldn't be surprised if all you'd get at those times from the Hobart station is Hobart weather.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Hot073 » Sun 01 Sep, 2019 8:53 am

I use mountain-forecast.com before I go with a 7 day forecast for each mountain.Have found it fairly accurate for each mountain area I go into.
Hot073
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sun 01 Sep, 2019 9:39 am

If your starting from the Scotts Peak end you will only need the forecast for the next few days for the walk to Melaleuca. When you get there you will be able to get a 7 day update from the Rangers station ( I think they post one on the wall of the airstrip shelter too ). These are BOM reports and should be accurate enough over 7 days to alert you to anything particularly evil that is brewing. Personally I would be leaving the radio at home. The less you have to carry the more likely your going to enjoy yourself.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby bumpingbill » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 6:41 am

From memory when I did it years ago, we had a radio but could never ever get any reception.

Then there's the issue that you don't know what time any weather update will occur. And it probably won't be specific enough anyway (except maybe the 12:35pm update during Country Hour)

These days, I get weather updates beamed to my satellite communicator via text message, but I realise not everyone has one of those so that's not all that helpful to those who don't.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby vagrom » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 3:23 pm

These little ones are quite reliable. A single AAA battery. AM by night and FM on higher points by day. Or anywhere the further north you go in Tas.
You're paying extra for a signal that doesn't drift or considerably less anyway. Great for rainy day tent-bound.
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-09-01-11-45-06-1.png
Screenshot_2019-09-01-11-45-06-1.png (90.62 KiB) Viewed 6375 times
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 10:45 pm

Over the years, it seems that the ABC have added more regional FM transmitters and perhaps reduced the power of the AM stations. So many places in Tasmania where in the past you struggled to get AM reception, you can now get very good FM reception - eg Pine Valley. Higher places like the ranges (eg Western Arthurs or Central Plateau) - very good FM reception. BUT - I think the South Coast may be one area where there would not be any FM reception, and only very poor AM reception.

I have not used a radio on the South Coast Track, but I have used one for weather forecasts along the Old River - and the signal to noise ration was very poor.... but we did get forecasts.

At night - you should get excellent AM reception - but probably Melbourne, Adelaide or Sydney stations.

The Norwegian Weather forecasts have a good long term forecasts. I have found them quite accurate for remote pasts of Tasmania. Eg -

https://www.yr.no/place/Australia/Tasmania/New_River_Lagoon/long.html
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wombat4787 » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 7:02 am

Thanks to all, looks like I'll be leaving the radio at home. I will obviously get the forecast before leaving Scotts Peak. It's good to know I can get an update at Melaleuca.
wombat4787
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Tasmania