Needwonnee Creek

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Needwonnee Creek

Postby YELLOWDREAM » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 12:32 pm

Hello to all of you! This is my first post. I am an avid reader of the Tasmania forums. I live in Melbourne and spend lots of time walking solo off-trails in Gariwerd/Grampians. I am particularly interested by creeks and water systems. I love wading and following creeks and spend lots of time camping and living next to them. I am preparing a long trip to New River Lagoon late November for my 50th birthday. I am interested to base camp for around 10 days at Cavern camp and explore the surrounding creeks and rivers. Limestone creek interests me very much. I am also very interested to reach the Needwonnee Creek on the Salisbury River by 'walking' along New River. Few accounts (Chapman & Louis-Philippe) mention that it takes approx 2 full days from the lagoon to reach the Salisbury River. Is is realistic? I will be walking solo as this is my preferred way to do and be in the world. Many thanks to all of you for sharing your trips and walks which i am so fond of reading. I ll reach (and leave) New River Lagoon via the South Coast track which is my preferred way.
YELLOWDREAM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Needwonnee Creek

Postby Mark F » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 6:32 pm

I can't help with info but you are heading into some pretty hard terrain. I hope you have some experience especially as you are planning to solo it. I believe Limestone Creek was a very early route off Precipitous Bluff to New River Lagoon.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby YELLOWDREAM » Sun 04 Aug, 2019 6:55 pm

Mark F, Many thanks for your words and particularly highlighting hard terrain and experience needed. Yes the terrain/experience/gear/time/weather conditions are elements I think about all the time when preparing and doing walks. I have read about the band between the lagoon and the Salisbury. I have also seen mentions of the Limestone creek route to PB. I think I have already in some ways accounted for the very difficult terrains as I have decided to base camp at Cavern camp and not do a circuit. This allows me to discover an area as I can do multiple explorations (the forests, The Lagoon, PB, The surrounding creeks, etc..). It also offers me the possibility to backtrack and come back to Cavern if moving through a particular area becomes too hard and demanding. I usually do this kind of base-camp-walking when there are big unknowns as to a route - particularly when going up/down via creeks. I sometimes try again the following day or the following week. Regarding the very dense bit between the Lagoon and the Salisbury I have mostly read accounts for parties of several people (1.5-2 days). I will not have the luxury of having a rotating lead there and I keep believing that I am way underestimating ... Many thanks again.
YELLOWDREAM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Sun 04 Aug, 2019 8:55 pm

For getting up New River and the lagoon perhaps a very lightweight pack raft like this Klymit http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16474 with a collapsible paddle would be the go. I noticed that Drop currently have it available for US $119 including freight for the next couple of days. https://drop.com/buy/klymit-lwd-packraft but also at a couple of AU retailers but more expensive. I have found mine quite useful for crossing coastal inlets and exploring a few waterways.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Tino B » Sun 04 Aug, 2019 9:56 pm

I believe that you might have some Stoor (Hobbit) blood in you.

Your planned Tassie adventures sound interesting, and I look forward to the trip report.

On a side note, I'd also love to hear about some of your trips to the Grampians. I'm going there next weekend with a mate to traverse as much as we can of the Serra Range from Rosea-> Dalton North-> South-> Middleton and as far as we can get along in 2 days before dropping down to the Ingleton Track and heading back to Borough Huts. We're planning on this being a prelude to an almost complete traverse, and I have already dumped water near several peaks over the past few months.

Sorry to highjack the thread :D
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby YELLOWDREAM » Mon 05 Aug, 2019 11:21 am

Tino B wrote:I believe that you might have some Stoor (Hobbit) blood in you.

Your planned Tassie adventures sound interesting, and I look forward to the trip report.

On a side note, I'd also love to hear about some of your trips to the Grampians. I'm going there next weekend with a mate to traverse as much as we can of the Serra Range from Rosea-> Dalton North-> South-> Middleton and as far as we can get along in 2 days before dropping down to the Ingleton Track and heading back to Borough Huts. We're planning on this being a prelude to an almost complete traverse, and I have already dumped water near several peaks over the past few months.

Sorry to highjack the thread :D

I have messaged you re Dalton Peaks
YELLOWDREAM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby YELLOWDREAM » Mon 05 Aug, 2019 11:27 am

Mark F wrote:For getting up New River and the lagoon perhaps a very lightweight pack raft like this Klymit http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16474 with a collapsible paddle would be the go. I noticed that Drop currently have it available for US $119 including freight for the next couple of days. https://drop.com/buy/klymit-lwd-packraft but also at a couple of AU retailers but more expensive. I have found mine quite useful for crossing coastal inlets and exploring a few waterways.

The klymit is on my purchase list! I ll pack one to Lake Rhona just before my 50th birthday walk. I want to paddle on that lake. As to carry it and use it down New River (at least past the log jams)...I don't know...I have to spend a bit of time with full pack on it and see...Thank you for the link. Might quickly use the offer.
YELLOWDREAM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby pazzar » Tue 06 Aug, 2019 11:25 am

YELLOWDREAM wrote:The klymit is on my purchase list! I ll pack one to Lake Rhona just before my 50th birthday walk. I want to paddle on that lake. As to carry it and use it down New River (at least past the log jams)...I don't know...I have to spend a bit of time with full pack on it and see...Thank you for the link. Might quickly use the offer.

If only your 50th was a couple of years away. I can't see the Lake Rhona region being open to visitors until the summer of 2020/21 at the absolute earliest.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby YELLOWDREAM » Thu 08 Aug, 2019 11:06 am

pazzar wrote:
YELLOWDREAM wrote:The klymit is on my purchase list! I ll pack one to Lake Rhona just before my 50th birthday walk. I want to paddle on that lake. As to carry it and use it down New River (at least past the log jams)...I don't know...I have to spend a bit of time with full pack on it and see...Thank you for the link. Might quickly use the offer.

If only your 50th was a couple of years away. I can't see the Lake Rhona region being open to visitors until the summer of 2020/21 at the absolute earliest.

Many thanks for advising.
YELLOWDREAM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania