Into the Tarkine - Huskisson Drive

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Into the Tarkine - Huskisson Drive

Postby TheOmen » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi All,

My partner and I are planning to venture into the Tarkine over the coming weeks to go chasing a little bit of the wild. We've been told of some interesting spots and are hoping to check these out. One of the issues that we're faced with is access, while we are planning to take a 4w drive to get in, access along some of these roads can from what i've been told be treacherous.

Does anyone have any specific or experience in driving along Huskisson Drive? I'm wondering if this is accessible and driveable in a basic Subaru 4w drive?

The attached images shows where I roughly want to get too.

Thanks in advance for the help :)
Attachments
Huskisson Dr.PNG
Huskisson Dr.PNG (145.36 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
TheOmen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Into the Tarkine - Huskisson Drive

Postby north-north-west » Wed 24 Apr, 2019 6:28 pm

I've done most of that road in a 2wd CRV, and it's not uncommon for ordinary sedans to go in as far as Joe Lynch. It's variable, with some wettish (but solid) bits and some rocky sections. Slow and steady and you should be OK, although there is always the possibility of a locked gate somewhere along there (if there's logging in the area) or a fallen tree.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Re: Into the Tarkine - Huskisson Drive

Postby Davo1 » Sun 12 May, 2019 7:47 am

Huskisson Drive from the highway is locked and there is no access with your vehicle on the route you have suggested. In fact you would be pretty much limited to Boco Road that way, there are a couple of roads that you could venture on for a short distance but no way you could ever reach Huskisson Drive through there.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania