Tranquil Tarn

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tranquil Tarn

Postby bonn_94 » Thu 28 Feb, 2019 8:13 pm

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on where to start this walk from? And how long the hike would be? Any directions would be greatly appreciated!
bonn_94
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tranquil Tarn

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 28 Feb, 2019 8:23 pm

The track to Stack's Bluff goes very close to Tranquil tarn, there's probably a well walked pad at the closest point.

https://www.brodieemery.com/blog/2017/1 ... acks-bluff From memory that first photo is Tranquil Tarn from the Stack's Bluff Track. (not my blog)

I had a quick look and the track isn't showing on ListMap though
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 28 Feb, 2019 8:52 pm

If you have the time, and are OK walking off-Track, it’s a nice walk from the ski village across the plateau to camp near Lake Youl. Then spend a day walking to Tranquil Tarn and Stacks Bluff. Then a third day walking back out to the village via another route, to make it a circuit.

I’m sure it would be a day walk from the other end, but I’ve not been in that way.
Attachments
3DD150C8-4A97-404B-971C-41393DA56F31.jpeg
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Fri 01 Mar, 2019 6:40 am

This is the road that leads to the start of the track https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/-41. ... m2!4m1!3e0

There are some blue signs that can be followed.

The road is a bit rough but should be ok in a 2wd if you have enough clearance. If not then it is probably only an extra 5 minutes of road walking.

I took us around an hour and twenty to reach tranquil tarn before heading up to the plateau for the night, an hour is probably more likely if you are only doing it as a day walk. I agree with SOAB that exploring the plateau is well worth it if you have the time. https://bogholesandbuckethats.com/2018/ ... d-circuit/
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby bonn_94 » Fri 01 Mar, 2019 9:54 am

Thank you!
I’ll be doing it as a day walk only, so it would only be about 3hours return roughly from the carpark you think?
bonn_94
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania