Tiger Road.

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tiger Road.

Postby Buddy » Wed 17 May, 2017 4:34 pm

Apparently the southern access to Tiger Road, which provides access to Gordonvale, Denisons and Wyld's Craig is closed due to bridge collapse. The northern access has been closed for some years due to unsafe bridge also. FT have no plans to remedy this situation.
Buddy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tiger Road.

Postby stepbystep » Wed 17 May, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks Buddy, this is all that's on the FT page. I've been in via Eleven Rd a while back, is your info different to this?

Tiger Road - The bridge over Florentine River on Tiger Road ( two kilometres in from the intersection with Florentine Road) is closed due to bridge failure. Access to the west side of the Florentine River is via Eleven Road. (Posted 16/12/16).

Florentine Road - The bridge on Florentine Road which crosses the Florentine River near Wayatinah is closed, (Posted 07/06/16).
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 17 May, 2017 10:24 pm

In mid Feb Eleven road was open, and parks had put up signs to direct traffic looking for the lake Rhona track.

There were a few small trees down but recently some legend cleared two-thirds of the last spur to Wyld's crag track head.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Buddy » Wed 17 May, 2017 11:25 pm

Good to hear there is alternative access. I fear there will be more of this over time due to FT's financial position.
Buddy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby danman » Sat 25 Jul, 2020 10:45 am

Just looking for updated info if possible. Is there no access over the Florentine River from the north (Wayatinah)?

Keen to do Wyld's Crag but Gordon River Rd makes it an awfully long way around if coming from the West Coast. Is the Florentine Rd even open? I find STT info is not usually particularly accurate or up to date..
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Azza » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 12:52 pm

The northern Bridge got burnt down some years ago, unlikely to ever be replaced unless it's needed for logging.

Its always a bit of a mission getting in there.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby L_Cham_67 » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 3:37 pm

I've heard of people using the forestry roads west of Lake Repulse to get in to the Florentine valley, but haven't done it myself.

The northern bridge on Tiger Road is also closed, so you would have to road walk from there, or use Eleven Road and try your luck with driving up the western side of the river on Tiger Road.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Azza » Wed 29 Jul, 2020 10:03 am

L_Cham_67 wrote:I've heard of people using the forestry roads west of Lake Repulse to get in to the Florentine valley, but haven't done it myself.

Actually now you've mentioned it, I've driven out that way from Mt Dawson we took a punt and decided to go for an explore as we had plenty of time. (It was a long time ago though)
From memory the road was okay in a 2WD and we were able to follow the main route on a Garmin GPS maps.
There was a lot going on. I don't actually remember their being a gate or anything, just a maze of roads.
Azza

Return to Tasmania