Ticks while bushwalking in Tassie?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ticks while bushwalking in Tassie?

Postby Jonie » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 5:40 pm

I've done some bushwalking in Tas over the last decade, but never saw any ticks. However I read that they are there & there are some reports that come up of people getting them when I do a google search.
I've become allergic to ticks (& consequently red meat, on the northern beaches of Sydney - it's becoming more common there & in the US, though is found in many countries), so just want to get an idea of how common it is in Tassie for people to get ticks, in the country on a farm or in the 'bush'. Reason is because I thought Tassie would be where we'd buy our property & settle down. Thinking of the NW in particular.
Would really appreciate your answers. Not sure where else to get the information.
Jonie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Re: Ticks while bushwalking in Tassie?

Postby andyszollosi » Sun 12 Jul, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi Jonie,
While ticks do exist in Tassie, I have never seen one in the highlands. That's a pretty good record, considering I've spend over 150 days in the mountains in the last two years.
However, other areas that are closer to sea level usually have more insects and wildlife in general, as the conditions are more favorable.
However, I've never heard anyone mention ticks as a big problem in Tassie.
Hope that helps!
andyszollosi
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Sun 12 Jul, 2015 5:54 pm

Some coastal areas in summer can have localised infestations, but I've never come out of a scrub-bash in the higher parts of the island with ticks on either body or gear.
Keep as much as possible of your skin covered, check thoroughly and regularly, think about a repellant on clothing, stick to the mountains and you should be OK.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Jonie » Mon 13 Jul, 2015 6:25 am

Thanks for those replies.
Love walking in the mountains, so that's good to confirm, but had thought of buying some land not so close to the mountains! Like, within an hour south of Burnie perhaps - so being so close to the coast might be more there? :(
Jonie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Overlandman » Mon 13 Jul, 2015 9:27 am

Hi Jonie,
Welcome to the forum.
When I walk in Northern coastal areas looking at reptiles, I am finding an increasing number of sheep ticks on snakes & blue tongue lizards. I often pull them off the reptile & squash them in the process.
I keep my body covered and have a good look for ticks on my clothes and gear after I finish a walk.
I haven't seen any ticks on highland reptiles.
Regards Overlandman
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bernieq » Mon 13 Jul, 2015 3:17 pm

Hi Jonie,
You have my sympathies for having developed such symptoms.

Sadly, ticks are found throughout Australia (and most, if not all, of the rest of the world) - from east to west, north to south and mountains to coast.

Obviously, they are more prevalent is some areas than others. However, I flicked off a tick (and readjusted it's shape with a rock) on the Traveller Range on a recent bushwalk (just north of Lake St Clair, elevation about 1200m).

Keep in mind that's one tick from many weeks of walking in Tassie. The Tassie NW is a lot better than the NSW SE - but, if you are concerned about anaphylactic reaction to another bite, prevention is your primary option but carry an Epipen and ether-based spray (to freeze the blighter if one attaches).

Lyme-like disease in Australia is a bit of a hot topic - afaik, to date, all testing has been negative for Lyme Disease but, clearly, something is responsible for the building case histories of people like yourself. You'll find quite a bit of information about ticks in Australia and research into Lyme-like disease on the web (from reputable sources). Note that there are many species of tick - not just the paralysis tick.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Azza » Tue 14 Jul, 2015 10:42 pm

After 20 something years of bushwalking in Tassie I got my first tick this year on the inside of my thigh I didn't even notice it..
It was like a little black piece of leaf matter or dirt when I tried to brush it away it didn't budge.
I pulled on it and it popped out and immediately started to hurt..

Not even sure which walk it was. Might have picked it up down near the Gordon River - Lake Rhona way.
But didn't discover it till a few days later on the Western Arthurs.
My impressions are\ that they are around, but you don't often come across them.
In that time I know of two friends who have had tick incidents. Leeches on the other hand.....
Azza

Postby vivianne » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 4:36 am

Hello,
I'm also thinking of moving to Tassie due to a very serious tick anaphylaxsis experience. I'm waiting to see if I develop the meat allergy, which is a delayed response to a tick bite.
I love bushwalking but cannot take the risk of a tick bite. Even with my epipens and lots of protection.
I hope that others will comment on their knowledge of the paralysis tick in Tasmania (Ixodes Holocyclus).
I'd heard there were ticks in Launceston, disappointing to hear it may be more widespread.
I have started a facebook page on this topic - Jonie could you please contact me? viv2515@gmail.com
Vivianne
vivianne
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby vivianne » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 6:25 am

Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone has any further information about ticks in Tasmania. Anything at all - we are collecting information for a public health study.
Thanks, appreciate any information

Viv
viv2515@gmail.com
vivianne
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby devoswitch » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 8:36 am

I get a fair few ticks at my place and sometimes pull whole families of them off my cat. I live down in the Huon Valley at around 300m altitude and my property has a lot of bush and trees, mainly stringy bark, if that helps.
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 10:12 am

I don't live in Tas, so no input as to farmland, but I was aware of stories of ticks in the thick untracked scrubs of West Coast Tas via a student geologist mate at the mine where I did some work in 1980.

Personally - the only walk where I picked up ticks was along the Farmhouse Creek track when exiting Federation Peak.

Curiously, I am looking at a holiday in the UK next year, and have only just twigged to the fact that ticks can be quite bad over there when trekking through wild country and farmlands.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby weetbix456 » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 10:34 am

Only time I have seen them walking was on Farmhouse Creek Track like eggs..and on the South Coast (Louisa River area). I've pulled a couple off my dad though when he's got home from bashing around near Osterley & the lakes region.
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby taswegian » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 12:48 pm

Spent whole life working and playing in bush (includes 'bushwalking') and farms on a line across Tasmania north of Bothwell.
Had a few ticks (½ dozen), nothing serious in 60 odd years.
Mostly from poking around in my work. Rummaging in scrub on hands and knees so "expect" to pick up something unpleasant.
Leeches on other hand are numerous.

Our farm cats have had the odd ones but again uncommon.
Beef, cows and sheep live here.

I wonder if ticks like other insects are drawn to certain people? Never thought about it until this post.
Wife gets eaten alive by mozzies but leave me relatively unscathed.

It's not something I hear as a real issue here, but not sure what to infer from that.

I once had a tick put me down for couple weeks whilst in Canberra when young so don't for one minute doubt peoples concerns.

For me the pests in order are leeches and March flies, latter more a nuisance factor.
Remember we have snakes and spiders and for many they're far greater an issue than ticks.
However we don't have a swag of loathsome things found on the mainland, crocodiles being just one.
taswegian

Postby north-north-west » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 10:24 am

Only places I've picked them up have been Bruny Island (Labillardierre) in March and locally in summer.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby durks » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 8:18 pm

eggs wrote:Curiously, I am looking at a holiday in the UK next year, and have only just twigged to the fact that ticks can be quite bad over there when trekking through wild country and farmlands.

They are definitely becoming more of a problem in the Scottish hills; less so in England and Wales I think. The deer population gets blamed; as does changing weather patterns. In any case, if you end up walking through grass, heather or bracken in the Scottish hills outside of Winter, you should definitely check yourself for ticks at the end of each day.

So: be careful, but don't let it put you off.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Overlandman » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 11:49 am

Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby taswegian » Tue 08 Nov, 2016 6:14 pm

Well! Cat came in with a small tick on its ear.
Smothered in Pawpaw cream it soon fell off.
My earlier report obviously needs a review.
taswegian

Postby devoswitch » Tue 08 Nov, 2016 6:57 pm

My son got one inside his ear yesterday. Brought in by the cat I'm sure. After researching I decided the best option was to grab the head quickly with tweezers and pull it out so it didn't have too much time to inject much more saliva.
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Tue 08 Nov, 2016 7:10 pm

Not Tassie but ticks. Two years ago at the Bunya Mountains QLD three younger blokes camped near me, one had a big tick in his underarm and they asked me what to do. I explained first then did a quick close grab-twist-pull with tweezers and he was very grateful. That's what I've done in the past but will look into the freeze thing.
A bit over a week ago after a dusk walk (NSW) I was later wearing the same trousers, lying on the couch. Something ticklish up the leg I thought it was a black ant and did a leg shake thinking it probably got squashed. Was still there half an hour later and when I dropped them it was a tick! Strange that it hadn't latched on after a few hours.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mahju » Thu 01 Dec, 2016 1:44 pm

I saw one last week on many mates pack to Louisa Creek on the SCT in tassie - then squished it. Didn't get or see any more over the 8 days i spent down there.
mahju
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 01 Dec, 2016 4:36 pm

I would think, based on personal experience and reports from friends that ticks are quite common in Tassie - particularly in coastal scrub. I think you are more likely to encounter them if doing off track trips in scrubby country. But one friend did get on on the Overland Track on one trip.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Snowzone » Thu 01 Dec, 2016 7:58 pm

taswegian wrote:I wonder if ticks like other insects are drawn to certain people? Never thought about it until this post.
Wife gets eaten alive by mozzies but leave me relatively unscathed.
Interesting thought Taswegian. I have had two ticks over the years, both in the South West. While my walking companions on the same walks have never had any.
Snowzone

Region: Victoria

Postby climberman » Thu 01 Dec, 2016 8:04 pm

I got two or three ticks at Crest Camp on the way back from Federation a few weeks ago.
climberman

Postby dianaarcher » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 10:40 pm

In Penguin today picked up a tick back of leg wearing shorts think in my yard after a beach walk in long grass or was carried in on dog; round flat small 3mm leathery skin no reaction yet,removed completely estimate latched for an hour. Horses, sheep and wild rabbits next door and boatloads of wallabies in the area.
dianaarcher
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: DPIPWE

Return to Tasmania