What the start of the old Cape Pillar track looks like now

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

What the start of the old Cape Pillar track looks like now

Postby PeterJ » Thu 04 Oct, 2007 2:49 pm

Massive Clearfell at doorstep of Three Capes Eco-tourist venture
Over a period of more than 30 years I have regularly walked to the spectacular Cape Pillar in what is now Tasman National Park, but not so long ago the start of the track was altered. It is now so very sad to see the terrible wound that has been inflicted on the original track, in the form of massive clearfelling of the forest. Clearly the forest industry has no heart and soul.
It seems ironic that an estimated $15 million is to be invested to create a Three Capes walk to attract eco-tourists and at the same time there is wholesale destruction of the land bordering the proposal.
The mass destruction of forests is not something that rates highly as an attraction to tourists.

You can view a photo at http://bushwalks.spaces.live.com/
Last edited by PeterJ on Thu 04 Oct, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 05 Oct, 2007 7:48 am

That's right at the start of the track? Yeesh... that sure is an ugly way to present a bushwalking track! I hope the logging doesn't extend too much further into the area.

The nearest I've been to that area is walking from Tasman's Arch (I think?) to Fortescue Bay, but I was very young and can't remember it very well, apart from the smell of sea weed.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

It is start of old track - now closed

Postby PeterJ » Fri 05 Oct, 2007 11:20 am

The old track was closed a few years ago and PWS put a new one in within the park. It joins the old one further on.
It is still shown as forest on Google Earth, so that gives you some idea how recent the clearing was.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania