South West Cape

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South West Cape

Postby Mowser » Sun 12 Aug, 2007 6:51 pm

I am flying in with a few mates to do a South West Cape circuit in November. While i have been in before i am thinking that this trip we will return via Ketchum Bay and then head north over Mt. Melaleuca and then down to Melaleuca. Has any one been up Mt. Melaleuca and if so what's the walking like?
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby chapman » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 1:31 pm

Ketcham Bay to Mt Melaleuca was part of the original recut by Fletcher of the South Coast Track in the 1960s (it went right through to Window Pane Bay and Noyhener Beach). If you use the 1:25,000 you will find the ridge is fairly obvious although it is actually more pleasant to start it from just west of New Harbour. Its a nice ridge and you will see the odd steel stake along it. To go to Melaleuca, navigate carefully, basically its the second ridge to the north is the one to take - it leads down onto the plains. You can head east across the plains to join the main track (one deep wet creek crossing) or just follow the western side of the buttongrass north into the mine workings.

Regards
John
chapman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Tue 16 Oct, 2007 10:28 pm

So when exactly are you flying in?
We are leaving Cockle creek (6 of us) and taking a week to walk to Melaleuca, arriving there by Saturday 3rd Nov as 2 of us have to fly out. 4 will stay longer & maybe do SW Cape or Mt Rugby, depending on weather, time, fitness...
See you there?

EDIT 26 November.
Update on my previous post -
My wife did the walk from Cockle Creek to Melaleuca with two other people as planned, unfortunately due to an injury I was unable to go.
Last edited by tasadam on Mon 26 Nov, 2007 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

South West Cape Circuit/Opposite Direction

Postby RazzleDazzle » Tue 06 Nov, 2007 7:00 am

Hello,

my wife and I are planning to do the SW Cape over New Years Eve, we plan to take about a full week. Since the longest section seems to be from Melaleuca to the West coast (Nayhener Beach), I have a few questions:

1) Is there anything speaking against doing the Cape tour the 'opposite' way, i.e. counter-clockwise via Nayhener Beach to Wilsons Bight? Is navigation more difficult this way?

2) Are the swamps just south of the Horseshoe inlet very muddy (e.g. compared to some muddy sections of the south coast track)?

3) Does anybody have GPS coordinates to share for critical waypoints along the track, that might be useful like a recommended creek crossing for Horseshoe creek or entry/exit points to the ridges ?

Any thoughts highly appreciated!

Cheers: Razzle
RazzleDazzle
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

South West Cape

Postby chapman » Sun 25 Nov, 2007 1:21 pm

Razzle

Going the other way is fine as well - most go clockwise as they then have very light packs for the hardest walking section.

It is easiest to now follow the shore of Horseshoe Inlet (the scrub on the swamp has grown and not been burnt for some time - now very scrubby)- requires one short swim or sometimes a chest deep wade well out in thee lagoon if lucky. Once across the bggest creek follow the obvious ridge onto the South West Cape Range - as for GPS - we only take spot points as I dont want to carry a pack full of batteries as leaving the GPS on it lasts just 2 days for each set of betteries. I provide grid references for critical spots in our guides but they are not needed for creek crossings etc as all are easy enough if not flooded. Also if you cant navigate and set your own GPS points off the 1:25,000 maps then maybe it might be better not to walk in an area as this is an area for experienced walkers.

Have a great walk, the new edition of South West Tas will have all the above and more updated information but will not be in print until well into summer.

Regards
John
chapman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dplanet » Tue 27 Nov, 2007 2:17 pm

John,

Would the new edition "South West Tasmania" be available before 10 December?

Thanks,
Dzung
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby tasadam » Tue 27 Nov, 2007 6:55 pm

dplanet wrote:John,

Would the new edition "South West Tasmania" be available before 10 December?

Thanks,
Dzung

Hello Dzung.
To answer your question, PM sent.
Regards.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Tasmania