Replacement for Mud maps 3?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Replacement for Mud maps 3?

Postby LLSC » Sat 14 Sep, 2019 4:28 pm

For the last few years, I have been using Mud maps 3 on my iPhone. The app was expensive ($100) but most maps I wanted (including Vicmaps and NSW govt 1:50,000 maps) were free. It showed precisely where I was on those maps ( off-line) which was very useful trying to find the route of a no-longer-in-existence-track; e.g. the 'track' from Cairn Creek Hut to Quartz Ridge near Mt Bogong or confirming position in off-track walking.
However, I recently changed from iPhone to android and Mud maps no longer has an android version. I am now keen to get recommendations of whether anything similar is available for android. I have had a cursory look at Avenza and OSMand+ but the maps I have seen so far, don't look as good as the Vicmaps. However, I see there may be some advantage in being able to use OSM maps and Parks maps. Ideally, it would be good to use these to augment (rather than replace) Vicmaps and the NSW equivalents. I see some enthusiasm for Oruxmaps and Pocketearth but I am not sure: are these both OSM based? My preference is to buy the app rather than a subscription, where possible.
Please help: what has worked for you?
LLSC
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Replacement for Mud maps 3?

Postby camm » Tue 17 Sep, 2019 5:52 am

I have used OsmAnd+ for the last 6-7 years, and don't have any complaints. The contour lines plugin is essential. I vastly prefer OSM to the Vicmaps, both in terms of detail and currency. Of course, the level of detail at each level is configurable, a major advantage over georeferenced PDF.

The OSM editing plugin is also quite nice, and I use it to make annotations in the field which I then edit, correct on the computer later.

For planing I use Andrew's OSM maps for garmin http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28893 combined with a set of DEM files in QMapShack. This allows me to create routes that follow (snap-to) a feature -- track, contour, etc. which can be imported into OsmAnd+ and my watch.
camm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Replacement for Mud maps 3?

Postby Warin » Tue 17 Sep, 2019 7:38 am

OSMand is constrained to only use OSM data. I have found it good enough to use.

Oruxmaps can use OSM data, or other data like a PDF map. However the learning curve is steep. The advantage of being able to swap maps is nice - so you can go back and forth. But in reality on the walk i am usually concentrating on the walk itself rather than wanting to swap from one map to another.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Techno-Babble