Smart phone navigation in cold/ bright conditions

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Smart phone navigation in cold/ bright conditions

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 10 Nov, 2018 7:49 pm

Im a avid navigation app user. I use an app (orux maps) for all my bush navigation. I don’t use the gps or track my route so I usually get 2-3 days solid navigation use out of a single charge. (Im mainly using the digital map/compass). I also use the phone for taking photos, reading at night. Phone is always in flight mode and turned off at night.

However, I was in Kosciusko NP recently with temps in the low single digits. Full sunlight/no tree coverage ment my phone display brightness needed to be maxed in order to see it enough for nav. The battery lost 50% in the space of a few hours. I was taking a lot of photos at the time so I’m sure that was a contributor.

How do other users cope with very cold/bright sunlight conditions? Is there anything you do to keep your phone warm while not in use? Eg put in a (close to body) jacket pocket etc? I currently have it in a pouch. Do you generally bring a bring a larger battery pack to top up your phone when in alpine conditions? For a 5 day trip how big is the battery pack?

Yes I know I could use a paper map… :lol:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Smart phone navigation in cold/ bright conditions

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 10 Nov, 2018 11:37 pm

Was in Harbin 2 yrs ago, -20C during the day. My iPhone died even when kept in my pants pocket. Pockets are not warm enough when it gets really cold. Try a battery bank kept inside your cloths and next to the body, then a short cord to connect to the device.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Smart phone navigation in cold/ bright conditions

Postby Wazza12 » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 5:40 am

I take an old fashion map and compass as well
A prudent navigator always has more than one arrow in his quiver
Wazza12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii