The solution for good coffee drinkers

Food topics, including recipes.

Postby RonK » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 11:48 am

Nice little device - compact and quite inexpensive on the net.
Would probably make a nice coffee but it's not espresso.
Nonetheless I'm tempted to try one.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: The solution for good coffee drinkers

Postby dagsands » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 6:14 pm

RonK wrote:Nice little device - compact and quite inexpensive on the net.
Would probably make a nice coffee but it's not espresso.
Nonetheless I'm tempted to try one.

You're absolutely right of course Ronk. It's not espresso - my apologies - that's just the story I tell myself when I'm drinking it (ignoring the lack of crema or depth of flavour) and also it's my shorthand way (erroneous I guess) of describing a 'short strong shot of coffee made from real beans' and differentiating it from Dag2's Nescafé latte 'coffee milkshake' sachet. :)
Glad you like the idea. Simple, clean, fast, light, yum.
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Earth Affiliate
Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 12:08 pm

dagsands wrote:Vietnamese coffee maker is my solution

Bought it in Vietnam in 1997 - pretty confident it's aluminium.
Makes a nice little espresso shot. I make a perfect (for me) double espresso shot with 3 teaspoons of ground coffee (on our sunbeam bur grinder set to a fine 4 - there may be a more optimum grind but this is what I use and it works nicely) and 120ml of recently boiled water.
It just sits on top of my mug. weighs a meagre 21gm. 55mmx90mm with room to stuff your ground coffee in it for a few days hike.

Here's how to use it (umm but for me without the condensed milk) :arrow: https://youtu.be/SijXazsElZQ

I enjoyed the music in that video.

It looks like a variation on the pour over coffee method. One thing I noticed is that you use twice the amount of water recommended in the video (120ml vs 60ml). This will of course have an effect on the coffee strength. Since you compare it to espresso or a "short strong shot of coffee" I was curious how strong it would actually be.

It's impossible to determine the strength precisely without measuring, but we can estimate a range. Three teaspoons can be anything from about 15ml (level) to 20ml (heaped). Similarly, the ground coffee bulk density can vary from around 0.3 to 0.5g/ml depending on the coffee type and level of roasting. Extraction is usually in the neighborhood of 20%.

Putting that all together and dissolving it in 60ml of water and you get a coffee strength of 1.5-3.3%.
If you use 120ml of water it would be 0.7-1.6%.

Typical pour over coffee is 1.2-1.8%. Espresso is in the range of 5-15%.

So I would guess your method produces something that's possibly normal coffee strength but then again could perhaps be on the weak side.

If it were me I'd go with 60ml of water and plenty of that sticky white sweet condensed milk.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby LPG » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 8:16 pm

I've been using a thermos for years for coffee. Simply put the desired amounts of coffee grounds in, pour boiled water over it, seal, shake and let it sit upright for 10+ minutes for the grinds to settle (finer grinds will settle quicker). When you are ready pour it into cups with a bit of care to not pour the grinds out. Sometimes it is nice to walk for a bit after breaking camp and having a stretch and coffee once you've warmed the muscles up a bit without having to break the stove out again. Can make for nice and strong coffee.

The thermos isn't going to be much lighter than 250g for a small one but it is a multipurpose item. Good for a waterbottle that stays cool, a cup is often included on the lid and you can cook/simmer in it even while on the move. Cooking a chickpea curry, dahl or black beans and rice while walking isn't hard and doesn't weigh any more than a dehydrated quivalent using dried legumes and other dense or dehydrated ingredients.
LPG
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mutley » Sun 02 Apr, 2017 8:42 pm

Was the original poster 5 years ago.

What a journey.

Since this first post I have enjoyed the Swiss Gold coffee drip filter for years, until the dog ate it (???) Seriously, the little *&%$#! did, along with a brand new S to S sleeping mat !! Lucky he's so cute, or he would have been back to the RSPCA :-))

Anyway, I just ordered a new filter. They are now called the FRIELING 'COFFEE FOR ONE' Cost $ 40 delivered.

Better than carrying the dual boiler on my back and a really good solution for a zombie appocalypse

Enjoy.
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 6:55 am

I've been recently using a GSI drip cone. its a little messy, but does a decent brew. main thing is that its nice and compact. It also makes a decent dual use item since you could use it as a pre-filter, or if makeing larger batches of coffee, you can do the coffee cowboy style, but filter it for those who don't like crunchies in their java.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mickl » Wed 17 May, 2017 10:39 am

Just reviving an old thread. I recently went on a 5 day walk and decided to try out a new coffee device. Its definitely not UL and I mainly got it for car camping and when caravan camping off grid but wanted to try it out so took it along. It's the Wacaco Minipresso NS. I got the NS version (nespresso pods) as I have a pod machine in the van so it was easier to get something that uses the same pods and also is a lot less mess than ground coffee which is preferable when hiking.

https://www.wacaco.com/products/minipresso-ns

First impressions was its a solid and well built bit of kit. I found it very easy to use, in fact I only looked at the instructions once briefly and was able to use it easily. I found it poured a very nice shot with good crema easily and was substantially better than other methods of coffee I've had camping. Its very clean to use with the pods and makes no mess at all if you're a good aim with the shot being poured.

Overall I would definitely recommend it if the style of camping allows you to carry it or you can look past the weight of it. I'm happy to carry a bit of extra weight for good coffee!

I think for car and caravan camping this will be my go to device and might look at adding a bellpresso milk steamer to the mix....

Pic of one of the first coffees of the trip

Wacaco Coffee.jpg
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Zzoe » Tue 23 May, 2017 12:16 am

I spent a lot of time in Eastern Europe just after communism collapsed, where there was no western coffee making technology anywhere to be had (far too decadent!). Good beans were simply ground to a very fine Turkish grind (like dust), and then two heaped teaspoons would be popped into a cup and then boiling water poured over the top. This is how we drink good coffee when we're hiking. No filters or fuss. You stir the coffee a couple of times and then let all the grinds settle to the bottom of the cup- which they do. It makes a perfect cup of coffee... You just have to get used to not drinking down to the very bottom of the cup! The biggest hassle with this method is cleaning the silt out of the cup at the end. Swirling precious water around to rinse it is always hard to do.
Zzoe
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby digbyg » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:13 am

We were taught to make "cowboy coffee" when walking the Appalachian trail and we still do it in the bush as nothing more than coffee is required.
Add 1 heaped spoon of fine ground dark coffee to 21/2 cups of boiling water. Take off the boil instantly (or it will boil over) and stir. Wait 1 minute or so and the grounds should settle. Pour carefully into cup and bliss out.
digbyg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:21 am

I backed a kickstarter project for what's essentially a compact aeropress at high pressure: http://cafflano.com/product_kompresso.php?TM=2

Less than 200gm is relatively light, but can't be sure yet exactly how good it will be quality wise, or how good the coffee quality will be.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:56 am

Casual, I saw that one as well. It will probably become my base-camp coffee maker as I'm liking how my drip-cone is working. That will leave the aeropress for at home use. But of course we shall see what the end result is, although it seems those guys have a decent rep for getting things done.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 1:55 am

I don't see how you'd consistently get 9 bar out of it. With the apparent size of the piston you'd have to be cranking pretty hard on the grip pieces. Of course it doesn't have to be real espresso to taste good.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 2:13 pm

20170811_164626-2.jpg

Another good option - disposable pour over sachets that fold out and clip onto the cup. They're $23 for 10, shipped. It's simply coffee ground for pour over and sealed in sachets which are sealed in a foil sachet http://www.thelaughingpug.com.au/product/drippies/

The coffee was absolutely great but after a week doesn't taste so great. I've ordered some empty sachets on ebay ($13 for 50) so I can buy fresh coffee prior to a walk and take it fresh, so you should get at least a week out of it.

Not carrying any equipment whatsoever is certainly the main benefit.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 2:44 pm

Has anyone tried taking the Nescafe (or similar) pods out bush as a source of fresh coffee grounds?
I think these are vacuum sealed so should keep the coffee fresh for several weeks.
Plus they're measured amounts so you don't have to guesstimate how much to take.
The added weight could be a problem for some.
ChrisJHC

Postby RonK » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 9:12 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:Has anyone tried taking the Nescafe (or similar) pods out bush as a source of fresh coffee grounds?
I think these are vacuum sealed so should keep the coffee fresh for several weeks.
Plus they're measured amounts so you don't have to guesstimate how much to take.
The added weight could be a problem for some.

Yes, I think the new Nanopresso with the NS adapter could give the best of both worlds (scroll way down to the bottom).
RonK

Postby RonK » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 9:24 pm

Another interesting new device is the Staresso. It's a bit bigger and heavier than the Nanopresso, but it can make capuccini.
RonK

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 11:35 am

20170901_112625.jpg

Just picked up a Sea2Summit X-Brew it's basically an X-Mug with an embedded micro mesh filter and a stand. It's 110x20mm when folded down, 85gms, holds 480ml water. $20 at Paddy Palin Launceston, they ordered it in and they have another in the shop now for anyone looking !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Genesis » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 5:29 pm

Genesis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 28 Dec, 2017 3:51 pm

So, just a little review on the Kompresso coffee maker. Makes pretty decent coffee, single shots at a time (50ml). cleanup is fast and easy.

9-bar pressure? well, for that you need true espresso ground coffee, and since I don't have a burr, and I have yet to find that fine of grind off the woolies shelf (I'll have to stop at one of the hipster shops shortly) it doesn't feel like I'm getting that much pressure. This means I don't get as long of a pull, and not much creama, but for all that, it does taste pretty good.
It has an advantage over the Aeropress in size and weight, no paper filter, and doesn't need a hard surface to press down on.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 7:50 pm

Looked for years for one of these. Not in shops, the only one I could find online was the Freiling Coffee for One.
Then one day I was desperate so tried a cup of Gloria's coffee. On the shelf was the same device, came with a glass that I gave away, same price no postage.
You put the grounds in the middle and the other piece goes on top, fill with water and let it drip through. Add 2g for the rubber band to keep the lid on in backpack.
Attachments
IMAG5466.jpg
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Sat 03 Mar, 2018 10:52 am

Not sure if this one has been mentioned but I grabbed a V60 style brewer from Daiso recently. I’ve used it these last few days and have been quite impressed - to the point where it makes my Aeropress feel overpriced and to be honest, a bit redundant. Grand total $2.80 brewer + $2.80 packet of 90 filter papers. Weighs 69g not including filters.
Attachments
4A7FEC11-7462-4C06-937E-D57809A8A1EA.jpeg
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 4:07 am

A plastic cone filter and papers is the obvious solution in terms of simplicity, second only to cowboy coffee or Turkish.

It has some drawbacks, at least for those who want something beyond just any old black, bitter beverage. It tends to be a little more finicky and sensitive to the grind size and quality. And since it exposes the slurry to the air for several minutes you're more likely to brew below the optimal temperature in a cool, outdoor setting. Just keeping the water at the right pouring temperature can be a challenge when it's a chilly morning.

On a warm morning at low elevation, or if you're just not that picky, then it works fine. It might be the most common way to make coffee when camping. Who doesn't have one of those $3 cones and a package of filter papers in their kitchen cabinet?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby blakey_ » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 7:20 pm

I've been using one at home for a couple of years for single cup brews, and it's my current work travel brewer (vs the aeropress). I like the GSI ultralite dripper better for hiking as it's more compact/unbreakable and it doesn't need filters, but it's even more exposed to cooling while brewing (There are collabsible/foldable drippers with solid sides, but they still need filters, eg snow peak).

Disposal is worse for both compared to the aeropress if you're packing everything out (mostly dry compacted puck vs slurry/slurry&filter)
blakey_
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 6:02 pm

Is this, I posted this elsewhere on this site: If it is coffee, not that filtered imitation stuff you want-by the way takes only about 3-4 grams of gas to boil, you may have seen this but I thought if you haven't...

"This is so, so easy- this little number
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glantop-Alu ... wLbgT-fqJA
weighs about 130 grams (this is the slightly lighter aluminium but I have about 300-400 uses up and it is still like new), put your coffee inside and it is tiny. Got one for my daypack and one for my big rucksack. Sat on the beach at Point Addis this morning, 12ks into a 22km walk, drinking coffee from this- Perfetto!
If anyone wants the dimensions just ask. Ciao ciao."
Buona fortuna
Dopo scritto
1 Tazze (1 cup) =130 grammes
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby RonK » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 6:11 pm

Lamont wrote:Is this, I posted this elsewhere on this site: If it is coffee, not that filtered imitation stuff you want-by the way takes only about 3-4 grams of gas to boil, you may have seen this but I thought if you haven't...

"This is so, so easy- this little number
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glantop-Alu ... wLbgT-fqJA
weighs about 130 grams (this is the slightly lighter aluminium but I have about 300-400 uses up and it is still like new), put your coffee inside and it is tiny. Got one for my daypack and one for my big rucksack. Sat on the beach at Point Addis this morning, 12ks into a 22km walk, drinking coffee from this- Perfetto!
If anyone wants the dimensions just ask. Ciao ciao."
Buona fortuna
Dopo scritto
1 Tazze (1 cup) =130 grammes

QFT.
Tennis racquet strings would make great coffee - not. :wink:
RonK

Postby Lamont » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 7:06 pm

Waaa tennis?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 7:14 pm

I got a lemon zester... the link is broken.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 7:39 pm

Ha ha sorry, scroll down to the 15th item. I have many of these 2,4 and 8 person.

Or try this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glantop-Alu ... 2cc6e3b18b
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 8:36 pm

Lamont wrote:Ha ha sorry, scroll down to the 15th item. I have many of these 2,4 and 8 person.

Or try this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glantop-Alu ... 2cc6e3b18b

Damn you Lamont. Looks like I just added 130g to my base weight. Those expresso machines make such a great cup of coffee. So nice in fact I could just have a macchiato and save weight by not packing powdered milk.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 8:54 pm

While the pot is boiling add a pinch of milk powder to a small amount of water in your cup. Pot boils, put half the coffee in the cup and heat with milk,drink. Ten minutes later or so heat the rest of your coffee with some more milk, this is my 5.30 am or so ritual. 9.30am smoko- black. 3.30-4 arvo- black. Evening maybe.Hot weather 5.30 and smoko only.Each pot uses about 4-5 gms and makes 50 mls coffee, 2 short blacks.Better than the rubbish some shops sell.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Bush Tucker