2.5mm Guy Rope/Line/Cord

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

2.5mm Guy Rope/Line/Cord

Postby FNM » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 10:39 am

Hi guys,

I’m wanting to replace the cord on my X-Mid from 1.5mm to 2.5mm but I’m struggling to find anything online. Z-packs offer a 2.3mm which looks good but postage is expensive and I’d prefer sooner than shipping from US. Other than that, the closest I’m finding is 2mm. eBay has some 2.5mm direct from China but it’s Nylon and I’d prefer something that won’t stretch.

Bogong has 2.75mm and wondering if anyone has any idea how that would go?

If you know where I might be able to find 2.5mm (ideally reflective), be great if you could let me know. I’ve checked pretty much all the outdoors places I can think of, plus Bunnings and the like. Amazon offers a good one (recommended by Dan Durston), but interestingly the comments say that it is often sold out.

Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: 2.5mm Guy Rope/Line/Cord

Postby Zapruda » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 11:35 am

Simon has some 2mm glowire in stock - https://www.tiergear.com.au/shop/tarp-a ... ve-glowire

He might also have some recommendations if you shoot him an email.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnw » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 11:40 am

In the past I've bought similar cord from Mountain Designs (old MD physical store), Mountain Equipment and Paddys.
MD online (now owned by Anaconda) still sells 2mm and 3mm climbing cord by the metre if that helps, but $10 postage, so depends whether the economics stack up:
https://www.mountaindesigns.com/search?q=cordelette%3Aprice-asc
Looks like Paddys also do 2mm and 3mm. If it as to be 2.5 OS might be the only option.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby FNM » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 11:58 am

Yeah, thanks guys. I’ve had a look at Tier Gear but like the suggestion of shooting off an email so will try that. If I’m going to do it, I’d prefer to take it to the 2.5mm limit. Am waiting on a response to triple-check that 2.5mm is the max size these line locs are designed for. Be handy if they are lineloc 3s, as that then allows for the readily available 3mm or 2.75mm. If not, might just have to make-do for now and wait for the one on Amazon to become available again. Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewp » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 2:32 pm

andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby commando » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 3:15 pm

Bunnings has good camo nylon cord $10 a roll
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby FatCanyoner » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 4:55 pm

Most thin accessory cord is Nylon, including most reflective lines (which is crap because Nylon gets even stretchier when wet, causing tents / flys to sag in the rain).

Have you considered Dyneema? Most marine shops will sell 2.5mm 8 braid. Go for one with a polyurethane coating, as it handles better and snags less, among other benefits. You can make it into adjustable whoopie slings too.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby CraigVIC » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 5:50 pm

Durston said this in the other thread, "Yeah the same applies. The stock cords are 2.5mm which is at the lower end of the range that LineLoc3's are designed for, so the stock cords will slip under lower loads than 3mm"
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Petew » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 8:04 pm

Whitworth a sell spectraspeed cord in 2mm and 3mm if that's any help.

Also found this 2.5mm dyneema cord in Qld

https://altongoods.com/collections/fron ... QgQAvD_BwE
Petew

Postby FNM » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 8:54 pm

Thanks guys!

Andrew - thanks for the link. I had a look at that one but I don’t think it has a poly cover, so my understanding is that it can be quite slippery..
Commando - cheers for the tip. For this purpose, I’m avoiding nylon due to its tendency to stretch when wet.
FatC - I was hoping for something like that but couldn’t find it to begin with. But PeteW has found one for me now.
Craig - I’m confused by it. I think when he did the first run of 2p there was a miscommunication and 1.5mm was used instead of 2.5mm. So my understanding is the 1p all have 2.5mm and the next release of 2p will all have 2.5mm but the initial 2p is 1.5mm.
Pete - thank you! Am going to give this a crack :)
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baka Dasai » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 10:07 pm

2 mm cord doesn't really slip with lineloc 3s in my experience. Especially if it's got a grippy sheath.

And if you're in a blizzard and fear the line slipping, taking 5 seconds to tie a slippery loop with the tail of the cord immediately underneath each lineloc will make it 100% secure.

I'd recommend the 2 mm Lawson Glowire from Tier Gear.
Baka Dasai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby FNM » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 2:44 pm

Baka Dasai wrote:2 mm cord doesn't really slip with lineloc 3s in my experience. Especially if it's got a grippy sheath.

And if you're in a blizzard and fear the line slipping, taking 5 seconds to tie a slippery loop with the tail of the cord immediately underneath each lineloc will make it 100% secure.

I'd recommend the 2 mm Lawson Glowire from Tier Gear.

Thanks mate.

I’ve got confirmation from the man himself that they are not lineloc3s and that the first batch of 2p did ship with 1.5mm. The next shipment will be 2.5mm. The parts are suited to 1.5mm - 2.5mm. I’m going to go ahead and order the 2.5mm from the link above. I enquired as to whether they offered any colours other than black, but black is all there is for now.

Edit: I just found that there was one orange left in stock elsewhere online so I grabbed that - 2.5mm.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 7:29 pm

I use this with Lineloc's successfully.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/202987836561
Huntsman247