Tent and sleeping bags for snow camping

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tent and sleeping bags for snow camping

Postby robc » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 12:50 pm

Hi All,

Ive been gearing up slowly over the last year or two to get into some snow camping and after reading through all the snow camping 101 threads i'm reasonably confident i have all the suitable gear except for the tent and sleeping bag.

My current setup is:
-3 season tent - cheap and old, but does the trick if its not a gale
-Denali capsule 700 sleeping bag - the best sleeping bag you can get at Anaconda, but its not tested to the EN standard and the -10C Comfort rating is laughably optimistic. Ive taken it to -2C were it was warm enough, but i wouldn't even think about taking it near the snowline, above the snowline with this bag is asking hypothermia.
-Exped synmat winter sleeping mat - rated to -18C, R value of 5 (probably the old R value rating?)
-CCF sleeping mat for under the exped
-Sea to summit thermolite Reactor SB liner

im more or less sold on the mont Warmlite XT-R Boxfoot 750 or the Brindabella XT 850 sleeping bags, but i was hoping i could get some opinions from y'all about some tents? Ive been looking at the following
-Wilderness Equipment Second Arrow 2 UL
- One Planet Goondie 2 Snow
- Mont Sundance 2 FN (mont website says this is a 3/4 season tent, but at a recent visit to their store the sales person insisted it was 4 season and it could hold a heavy load of fresh snow and handle 80kph winds)
- Nemo Kunai

Anyone used or know someone who has used these tent? if not, i'm still keen to hear any opinions you have on them

Im aiming to be camping at the huts between guthega power station and Jagungal, as i know that area reasonably well from summer walks, and intent to only go out if the weather forecast is favorable, but i know all too well how quickly the weather can turn foul up there so i want to make sure im mimimsing the risks as much as possible.

Thanks everyone!
Rob
robc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Tent and sleeping bags for snow camping

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 2:43 pm

Do you mean the Moondance?
If so it'd discontinued and should be on clearance everywhere
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby robc » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 2:56 pm

Sorry! i meant moondance.

Mont are getting more in stock in august according to the staff
robc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnrs » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi ROBC
The WE Second (and First) Arrow are good, 2 person goes to one person in the snow,
same with the Goondie
The Mont is a little less robust but a lovely tent, check how close the walls come to the ground, from memory there maybe a version with snow vallances
and I don't know about the Nemo
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 3:21 pm

My old-model Goondie handles the snow quite well. See my old Goondie review post: viewtopic.php?t=8031

The snow just slides right off, except for at the apex of course. The vent is high, so less likely to be buried deep enough for suffocation.

In this photo I had got out during the night and dug the snow away from around the base of the fly to ensure better ventilation (and less condensation), but I don't think it was really necessary. There was no wind during the night, so no need to worry about snow blowing in under the (normal length) fly this time around.

Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby commando » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 3:59 pm

Most self standing dome tents will be just fine, just don't expect a full nights sleep in the snow.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby slparker » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 7:25 pm

I was faced with a similar conundrum a few years ago and had already sold my 4 season tent .
I ended up buying an EE quilt and adding it to my existing 0 degree sleeping bag and this keeps me toasty warm to at least -10. i figured a dedicated winter bag was overkill for the few nights of year i spend up in the snow.
I still use a 3 season tent for the snow but do take a snow shovel and build a pad, trench and walls around my site. A dedicated 4 season tent is obviously a better option though.

I am contemplating taking my x-mid for my next snow camp but need to think of a system for the poles - probably yoghurt lids to stop the poles sinking.... Anyway, my point is that sheltered site selection and preparing your site can assist greatly with camping without expending a lot of money for new gear.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment