Thermarest Neo Air Xlite

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Thermarest Neo Air Xlite

Postby Staceykate » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi,

My husband and I have just started getting into the idea of overnight hikes - we've done day ones for a while now.
He bought Thermrest Neo Air Xlite sleeping mats for us - I opened one up and we inflated it and I slept on it for a night on the floorboards.
I haven't slept so bad in a LONG Time. And I normally sleep anywhere with no problems.

Any tips? inflate it less? It was just uncomfortable!
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Thermarest Neo Air Xlite

Postby Lamont » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 4:00 pm

Hi,
traditionally people deflate them to a degree so your hips sink in a wee bit (or a lot) according to your needs. Just be aware that at this time of year the closer you (hips) are to the ground the colder you may be/feel.
Lay on it fully inflated and let a bit of air out slowly until you get the level you want.
This can work really well. I sleep on mine quite firmly inflated. So hourses for courses.
Sometimes it's also just the different experience and fatigue from a days walking can make all the difference too!
Just keep trialling.
You may even find you need a different mat but it's hard to beat the weight to warmth ratio the XLItes/Therms provide.
Also the width can be an issue- too narrow can be a problem for back sleepers.
Some people hate the Xlites and the vertical baffles.
I like mine.
Good sleeping.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby GregG » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 6:51 pm

Lamont wrote:
Sometimes it's also just the different experience and fatigue from a days walking can make all the difference too!
Just keep trialling.

You're not kidding Lamont! Tired enough and you can sleep on a slab of rock (speaking from personal experience), under those circumstances a piece of closed cell foam becimes five star luxury.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 10:46 am

Inflate less is common but I always go for maximum inflation. The Xlite sucks. I hated it and couldn't deal with the shape and its tendency to kind of "buck you off". Over time, like a year, I learned how to sleep on one. I kind of wish I hadn't as they develop leaks oh so easily. In a way they are a scam except for the fact that they are so light and compact.

My advice is to compare one to the alternatives. Not just sleeping comfort but packing, carrying, cost, fragility. Then decide.

I use them, grudgingly.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Staceykate » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 1:42 pm

I had no problems rolling off, even the size I don't think was the issue. It was just uncomfortable - not sure if "hard" is the correct word, but definately not comfortable at all.
I remember sleeping on a cheap self inflatable mat when I went to Fraser Island with the family as a teenager... you could feel any undulations in the ground beneath you... and I still slept fine. So it's wierd that this is causing me issues.
I'll try it again a bit less inflated - but I'm glad I'm trying it at home first!!
Thanks for the tips :D :D
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 5:40 pm

Are you using the full length mats? If the shorter then that could be a reason. I've just moved from short length mats to a long length xlite. I sleep much better on a full length.

It could be it's as Lamont and Greg were saying. After a good days walk your tired and your body is less likely to grumble about the lack of proper bed. Going directly from comfy and wide bed to relatively narrow matt is a bit of a shock for the body and it's sleep routine.

Also consider the pillow. A pillow at the right shape and height for you and the mat can make a big difference.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Staceykate » Sat 11 Jul, 2020 3:18 pm

I think he did buy the shorter mat - however I'm not tall - only 163cm so I don't think that's an issue.
Hubby is 6 foot 2 so he's going to have to size up - it was definately too small for him. However budget won't stretch to the large one for him - he will have to get something heavier (though hopefully my small & light one will make up for it!)

For a pillow... I honestly just used a jumper. My sleeping bag has a hood. Halfway through the night I ditched the jumper as it wasn't comfortable.

Hubby is keen to go as light as possible (fair enough, since he will be carrying alot more than me, and he is a very slim build)
Any recommendations on the pillow front?
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Neo » Sat 11 Jul, 2020 8:49 pm

An Exped or STS pillow seems a bit pricey but they are tiny and very worthwhile for me.
A trick I got here is to put a buff/tube scarf over the pillow.
I go about 3/4 inflated. Trap it in the sleeping bag hood.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aushiker » Thu 16 Jul, 2020 10:55 am

I have a Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Pillow. Works a treat for me after years of just using what spare clothes I had.

On the mat front, another possible option to consider a Sea to Summit mat. They have women-specific models. Keep in mind their R-values (warmth rating) are likely to be lower than your Thermarest mat but.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Nuts » Thu 16 Jul, 2020 12:25 pm

Orion wrote:Inflate less is common but I always go for maximum inflation. The Xlite sucks. I hated it and couldn't deal with the shape and its tendency to kind of "buck you off". Over time, like a year, I learned how to sleep on one. I kind of wish I hadn't as they develop leaks oh so easily. In a way they are a scam except for the fact that they are so light and compact.

My advice is to compare one to the alternatives. Not just sleeping comfort but packing, carrying, cost, fragility. Then decide.

I use them, grudgingly.

I've had the same experience, kept rolling off! I could only stay on by deflating till almost touching the floor.
Have you tried your Klymit mats? The design gives a far more 'planted' feel.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Al M » Sun 19 Jul, 2020 3:23 pm

Me too I don’t really like mine either like trying to sleep on a latex squeak noisy beach ball, have short version and in cold weather the ground insulation is not enough. The only thing going for them is extremely light weight.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Staceykate » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 9:30 am

Just an update... had a night in the backyard (in lockdown here in Melb) and the mat was fine! I think I had it overinflated last time... stayed on it no issues.

My neck was another issue. I ended up going into the house and getting my pillow :lol: Has anyone ever just cut up and sewn a cheap pillow into a mini pillow? It couldn't be that heavy shorely... Just thinking thats probably going to be more comfortable (and way cheaper) than a good inflatable.

Size probably won't be an issue in our packs, the weight more an issue...
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 10:00 am

Staceykate wrote:Any recommendations on the pillow front?

I own the sea to summit pillow that other have mentioned, but also bought a Naturehike pillow that looked identical to it a year ago for one of my kids and have just purchased another NH one for the other kid, as he was jealous of his sisters pillow. The NH is almost identical to the STS and has lasted well.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 9:06 am

I have the Nemo Tensor pad which I find more comfortable than the Thermarest NeoAir XLite which is too chippy packet crunchy for me. But if you can get it working for you then great!

Re pillow, I use the Thermarest trekker pillow case, and stuff it with my fleece hoodie and my down puffie jacket. The combination of the fleece hoodie base and the down puffy jacket top within the soft fleecy pillow case which makes it into a perfect pillow shape - is virtually identical to my at home pillow.

http://www.bogong.com.au/thermarest-pillow-case.html

I've tried all kinds of inflatable pillows, Nemo pillows, Exped pillows, but the best system in the world in my opinion is that Theramrest Trekker fleece fabric pillow case. It has a big overlap to stop the clothes from leaking out of it. It's the perfect size to be just the right size to be a decent pillow and not take too many clothes to fill it.

It weighs about 68 grams, and folds up tiny small.

You can see it on this video at about 3 mins 17 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5K0ZB8N9Bc

I don't put one of those Selfinflating camp seats in mine, just the fleece hoody base and a puffy jacket to get it perfect combination of support / elevation plus puffiness.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matagi » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 10:40 am

I use an Exped Air Pillow. Mine is a size L but it does come in other sizes and an UL version.

When inflated, it has what they call an anatomical shape - basically a bit curved and thicker at one end, which I find provides great neck support. You can adjust the level of inflation to deal with whether you are a side or back sleeper.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Staceykate » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 2:39 pm

So I'm back looking at my mat again... 2 nights at the Prom after a full day of walking and the thermarest wasn't great on my side (I have to sleep on my side... I snore on my back and hubby will kill me if I snore... one of the few girls who is the snorer!!)

I'm looking at the sea to summit ether light, it looks liek it would be thicker and therefore I think better to sleep on my side?

Anyone slept on their side on one?
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby stry » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 5:00 pm

I am a side sleeper and I use an X Therm, but not the weird shaped one, just a plain rectangle, which I much prefer.

I have had a few different mats, and pillow height has been critical to comfort with all of them. This may be far more of an issue for side sleepers. Our heads are a very heavy part of our bodies, and if the head hangs a little low discomfort and stiffness are very likely.

I now prefer a purpose built pillow with some tweaking. I don't want to use all my spare clothing for a pillow as I may well need some of it for night attire. Plus I have always found such inevitably lumpy pillows bad for my sleep.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Staceykate » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 8:27 pm

Yes I have a real pillow... a nemo fillo luxury. Could never sleep on my side without it!!
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tazz81 » Sun 07 Mar, 2021 8:38 am

I got rid of my NeoAir and bought a Nemo Tensor - it’s a seriously good mat for side sleeping. The pump thingy that came with it is brilliant too! For pillows I’ve tried everything under the sun - from polar fleece wrapped around a goon bag to using my pack. Now after 25 odd years of experimenting I think I’ve finally nailed it. I use the exped REM pillow put into a pillow slip (then you get a nice clean smell - not funky old inflatable pillow smell). Into this I also stuff my clean clothes and puffer. All in all it’s almost like a normal pillow at home!
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment