3p lightish tent suggestions?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

3p lightish tent suggestions?

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 9:12 am

I seem to have a gap in my gear set up. I have been using a cheaper 3p tent for the last 3-4 years. It is an earlier version of this tent, the colours and even the brand is different but essentially it is the same tent. Mine comes in at 3.7kg though as I replaced the tent pegs with something that will actually hold the tent up and perhaps the older version used heavier fabric. https://www.snowys.com.au/howqua-3-hiki ... k7EALw_wcB

I have used it on quick car camping road trips with my husband and I, camping at horse shows with the kids and even on overnight walks with the kids (hello 21kg pack pour moi :shock: ) . So you could say it has served it's purpose and would continue to do so. A few years ago a zipper got stuck on it, they replaced it with a brand new fly, so the customer service on a cheap tent was surprisingly good. However it has a few limitations and going forward it would be good to have something a little more specific to my needs.

Its limitations are -
* jerk to pitch, so many points to stake out
*can sag in the rain, it is a constant effort of tensioning and tweaking to stop pools of water forming on the fly
* getting in and out of the vestibules in a heavy dew, let alone rain, leaves you soaking wet
* vestibules are pretty small, so everything other than shoes is in the tent and no hope of cooking in the vestibule.

I have a style of tent that COULD work for all 3 of us (the kids and I - or just husband and I with room to move) if I had of had the foresight to purchase it in the 3p rather than 2p version, the weight penalty would have been minimal. It is a Marmot Fortress, I got it for when I just have one kid with me, or for camping in Winter on my own, but honestly my X-Mid does everything I want solo, so I would see no need to lug the Fortress for just myself. A 2p tent has no real use in my 'stable' of tents, a 3p however has many more applications and could also fulfill the limited role that the 2p does now. I am thinking of selling this 2p Fortress to fund something bigger seeing as its intended use has been ruled obsolete by the X-Mid....but what?

I don't want to drop a fortune on something that would see 5-7 nights use a year
Must pack reasonably compact for when I am doing the lugging for the kids or am packing it on my bike
Not weigh a tonne

Hit me with some suggestions!
Attachments
20190415_123354 - Copy.jpg
The Mum and kid palace, not bad for around $200 but time to move on...
20190415_123354 - Copy.jpg (43.66 KiB) Viewed 21203 times
Last edited by Ms_Mudd on Tue 30 Jun, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: 3p lightish tent suggestions?

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 9:19 am

Have a look at https://www.3fultralight.com/product/3f ... ing-tents/

(Might be able to find it cheaper on AliExpress)

1.6kg and is roomy enough for 3. Cons no vestibule and inner pitches first. Use two joined trekking poles as centre pole.

I own one and the quality is great.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 11:48 am

I do love me some 3f gear, was a very happy Lanshan owner. Hadn't thought about a mid. How do you join your poles?
I wish I had of thought of this a few weeks ago as have 2 x 2 nights in the next two weeks coming up in a tent and would have loved to have had my hands on something else to road test before those two trips with the kiddos.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 12:47 pm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285344 ... web201603_
2 3 and 4 person versions available
No idea what quality is like but probably OK below the snow line
Express shipping would eat up any cost saving tho
or this which I was going to buy but never got my act together

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283695 ... web201603_
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 1:50 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:I do love me some 3f gear, was a very happy Lanshan owner. Hadn't thought about a mid. How do you join your poles?
I wish I had of thought of this a few weeks ago as have 2 x 2 nights in the next two weeks coming up in a tent and would have loved to have had my hands on something else to road test before those two trips with the kiddos.

They provide a weird joiner which I had no idea how to use. So, ended up buying a trekking pole jack from this cottage manufacturer https://www.bearpawwd.com/poles_stakes/poles_stakes.php. Its just a aluminium tube and you stick the spiky end of each trekking pole through the ends.

Moondog55 wrote: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285344 ... web201603_
2 3 and 4 person versions available
No idea what quality is like but probably OK below the snow line
Express shipping would eat up any cost saving tho
or this which I was going to buy but never got my act together

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283695 ... web201603_

One of the bushwalk.com members has one and posted a review viewtopic.php?f=63&t=28852&hilit=Opalus
Good quality but they said it was almost 2.8kgs which might be bit of a haul.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 6:25 pm

If it is 2800 that is only 934g per person tho.
I have the Hellesport Expedition version of which this tent is a clone, it weighs lot more than 2800g but that is a lot less than the tent it replaces. Weight is relatively light I think for the shelter it gives 3P
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 7:51 pm

Some excellent suggestions. I love 3F ul gear, I suspect the 'mid may be a bit too squeezy for us though when I was crunching numbers on the space inside and our mats. I did look at the Naturehike 3 Cloud Up and the Opalus also in my researching. Coming in under 3kg would be the aim, seeing as I am carrying it as well as all the food, stove etc etc. The kids each weigh 40kg or less and can't carry more than their sleeping bag, mat, clothing and water typically.
I also found myself browsing the TT website earlier, but the investment is probably a bit much for an infrequently used item. Although the 4 nights in the next few weeks in a tent with my kids is not that infrequent surely? :wink:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bobcrusader » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 8:25 pm

Paddy Palin have 40% off the Nemo stuff from time to time. The Dagger is light (1.7kg), fits 3 and has 2 nicely sized vestibules, but expensive unless on sale. The Nemo Galaxi 3 is heavier at 3kg, but much cheaper and a very roomy 3 person. The scouts love the One Planet Wurley - roomy and robust, not cheap but last a long time at 3.4kg
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Warin » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 8:43 pm

An Xmid 2p combined with Xmid 1p you already have would be ~2kg.... just a thought...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 9:08 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Some excellent suggestions. I love 3F ul gear, I suspect the 'mid may be a bit too squeezy for us though when I was crunching numbers on the space inside and our mats. I did look at the Naturehike 3 Cloud Up and the Opalus also in my researching. Coming in under 3kg would be the aim, seeing as I am carrying it as well as all the food, stove etc etc. The kids each weigh 40kg or less and can't carry more than their sleeping bag, mat, clothing and water typically.
I also found myself browsing the TT website earlier, but the investment is probably a bit much for an infrequently used item. Although the 4 nights in the next few weeks in a tent with my kids is not that infrequent surely? :wink:

I have a Cloud Up 3. Its more like a 2 & a 1/2 if you're talking adults but it would be OK for an adult and two kids. The one entrance may be a bit of an issue because the tent narrows down at the front. You inevitably end up kicking your companion(s) should you require a night visit.

The other 3 man tent I have is an Oztrail Flinders. Its a cheap 3 man dome, but it will comfortably sleep 3 adults. Weighs 2.8 kg, doesn't pack very small at all but then it only cost $69. Wouldn't recommend it in winter though.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 9:15 pm

Ha ha Warin, don't encourage me. The only 2p tent I could see a use for would be an XMid 2p as it is light enough that I would carry it for my use alone as well as with small people. I really love my XMid.
The kids wouldn't sleep in a separate tent to me though, even if my tent was literally pitched in their vestibule. They argue over who gets to sleep next to me , so much so, that I usually end up sleeping in the middle of the two of them which makes getting out for a loo stop in the middle of the night tricky. I am sure in a few years that will change though.

Johnnomcjohnno, yes, the front entry looks very inconvenient in the CloudUP. I haven't had a tent like that before and I think it would be tricky, particularly for someone as unco as me. Less than $70 is quite the bargain!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 9:05 am

I keep going over and over my tent choices. I had ruled the pyramid out as I thought it would be a bit of a tight fit for all three of us, but after more online trawling, I may well be incorrect.

Wildwanderer, do you think 3x standard width mats would fit in the 3f ul/Flames Creed mid? My daughter and my mats are quite thick at 10cm each, so we sit up 'high' on them, but 10yo son just has a cheap SI mat as he can't yet be trusted with anything expensive. I am 5ft 1, my daughter is about the same and the 10yo is shorter. Clearly they will grow...I will not :lol: ...but I assume as they get older and bigger they may be happy to sleep in a separate tent to me anyway. Much like their older brother ditched me as he hit his teens.
I was really happy with my Lanshan 2, so I know the quality is excellent. I hate to pay big dollars if things can be done more cheaply. Having said that, I will drop some cash on something for it to be 'right' and actually see some use though as my rather less than well thought out purchases can end up costing me money anyway. :oops
Is the weight of the 3p mid at 1.6kg including inner accurate in your opinion?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnrs » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 9:13 am

johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby PedroArvy » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 9:25 am

I don't think the 3F UL is a three-man tent.
You'll fit, but not comfortably.
Someone will be touching the walls.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Petew » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 11:33 am

Tarptent cloudburst 3 is quite nice but I realise it's probably well beyond the budget.
Petew

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 2:27 pm

Petew wrote:Tarptent cloudburst 3 is quite nice but I realise it's probably well beyond the budget.

ahahhh that is exactly what I had been looking at on the TT website yesterday. With the liner and extra pole, would probably be quite comfortable and sturdy. Yes, probably beyond the budget, but I guess as I have a tent and I can continue to use in the meantime I could well save up and drop some extra money that way instead of the false economy of getting something cheaper that doesn't really quite fit the bill.

Thanks PedroArvy, confirms my initial thoughts re:the pyramid. Would be a good weight and price though had it been a reasonable option.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 2:36 pm

They used to do a three person one that looks a bit like the rainshadow 3 but a hoop at the back and pole/poles at the front. Can't remember the model name( very hazy memory). Quite nice too. A mate has one we use from time to time.

Maybe Franco can shed some light.

Personally I'm waiting for them to make a cloudburst out of DCF...
Petew

Postby north-north-west » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 3:46 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:My daughter and my mats are quite thick ...

She's just marching to the beat of a different drummer. Please don't be so ableist towards her.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 6:20 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:I keep going over and over my tent choices. I had ruled the pyramid out as I thought it would be a bit of a tight fit for all three of us, but after more online trawling, I may well be incorrect.

Wildwanderer, do you think 3x standard width mats would fit in the 3f ul/Flames Creed mid? My daughter and my mats are quite thick at 10cm each, so we sit up 'high' on them, but 10yo son just has a cheap SI mat as he can't yet be trusted with anything expensive. I am 5ft 1, my daughter is about the same and the 10yo is shorter. Clearly they will grow...I will not :lol: ...but I assume as they get older and bigger they may be happy to sleep in a separate tent to me anyway. Much like their older brother ditched me as he hit his teens.
I was really happy with my Lanshan 2, so I know the quality is excellent. I hate to pay big dollars if things can be done more cheaply. Having said that, I will drop some cash on something for it to be 'right' and actually see some use though as my rather less than well thought out purchases can end up costing me money anyway. :oops
Is the weight of the 3p mid at 1.6kg including inner accurate in your opinion?

I just weighed mine. Its actually lighter than the spec. 1524 grams on my scales including pegs/guys. (from memory they provided a more pegs than needed and the weird trekking pole joiner so that might explain the higher printed weight)

How many mats will fit in. I would say 3 full length adult size mats.. no (or a very tight squeeze). But one full length and 2 short mats would fit and have some space for gear. Or 2 full length mats and lots of space for gear.

If your still interested I can put mine out on the deck tomorrow. I wont be able to pitch it but can spread out the inner and put 3 mattresses inside to give you an idea?

This is what it looks like pitched. Walls are fairly steep.

One other thing to note is the floor is only 15d. Its not especialy fragile however you have to careful. I brought the footprint for it which weighs another 250 grams or so for when we are camping on rocks or sharp terrain.

1.jpg

2.jpg
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 6:35 pm

That is brilliant, thanks so much for the really thorough response Wildwanderer.
I don't want to make work for you, but yes please to laying it out on your deck when you get time. We all do have full length mats/pads but at 5ft 1 and less, have room at the end of them we normally stack gear on the ends anyway. Seeing how it may play out in real life would really assist decision making. Would be stoked to get out of it with a $200 spend and only 1.5kg weight on my back.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 6:43 pm

If you already have a solo tent, why not buy a 2 person tent?
Maybe not the best option re weight, carrying 2 tents, but trying to get to sleep with 2 teenagers can be challenging and having a bit of me space... that would be nice.
A lot more choices with a 2 person tent as well and a nice Lux option on shorter walks.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 7:30 pm

Totally agree Crollsurf. A 2p Xmid would fit the bill perfectly and would see some use from me when I was feeling like playing at Queen in a Palace on my own. Kids are just still in that super cuddly, want to snore and grind their teeth in my face all night stage
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 7:57 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Totally agree Crollsurf. A 2p Xmid would fit the bill perfectly and would see some use from me when I was feeling like playing at Queen in a Palace on my own. Kids are just still in that super cuddly, want to snore and grind their teeth in my face all night stage
Enjoy the cuddles why you can but don't forget you have to make up an appropriately scary story about where your camping before bed. :)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 8:30 pm

crollsurf wrote:Enjoy the cuddles why you can but don't forget you have to make up an appropriately scary story about where your camping before bed. :)

That's what I figure, enjoy them wanting to be close to me for now as I know this time will pass all too quickly as it did with my eldest.
Scary stories! Oh dear, I have some about my workplace (experienced first hand too) that quite honestly make the hairs on my arms stand on end, hadn't thought about scary bush stories though, thanks Crollsurf, I imagine I will be staring at the roof of my tent wiiiide awake next time I am in the bush even just thinking about making scary stories up :lol: Maybe wanting the kids in the one tent with me is more to make me feel safe :wink:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 8:50 pm

Just a warming re the scary story, once there onto you, you'll need to bring your scary A game because they'll demand it.

It was a dark night like tonight and there was this young child camping here. Just like we are tonight... LOL.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 9:10 pm

crollsurf wrote:Just a warming re the scary story, once there onto you, you'll need to bring your scary A game because they'll demand it.

It was a dark night, just like tonight and there was this young child camping here. Just like we are tonight... LOL.

And a scaredy cat mother, sitting in her fuzzy pjs, reading BW forum and wigging out.... :wink: :lol:

Hmm looking at the next price range up seeing as I was browsing Tarptent. The Cloudburst 3 is not tapered so is 157cm head and foot. Not hugely generous, but do-able.

What about Big Agnes Tigerwall UL3? 168cm head end 152cm foot end and a weight of 1.33kg. Too flimsy?
Other contenders in my 'million tabs open' researching tonight was a Copper Spur UL4 on sale. It comes in at 2.55kg though, but is epically huge. Too big probably, but anyway. The Copper Spur UL3 is about 1.7kg.

If I open up my price range a bit, does that change suggestions?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Thu 02 Jul, 2020 6:47 am

I have an older copper spur ul3. Pretty decent tent but the fabric is quite thin on the floor. Having said that, we've only managed to put a hole in the floor once in the six years we've had it.
Petew

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 02 Jul, 2020 5:15 pm

I put a few mats in. Sorry I only have one full length.

Mats are
- Thermorest neoair xlite. Regular full length. (183cm length x 51cm width)
- Nemo tensor short x 2. (122cm length x 51cm width)

Kicking myself I really should have put them side by side as well as in the tri configuration. :oops:

Note. Its a bucket floor so the end of the useable floor area is at the end of the tent. (where you see the tiles)

2.jpg

1.jpg
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 02 Jul, 2020 5:48 pm

haha so forgeting to do a side by side annoyed me so I did a quick mockup inside.

So i think two will fit side by side.. just. (both on one side of the pole). However one mat is going to be pushed against the wall and a full length mat might be raised a bit at the end as depending how close the mat is to the wall it may run out of floor length. You can see in the pic the raised bucket part of the floor is fine at the head of the mat but at the foot section the mat is encroaching on a bit of the bucket that would be raised.
The grey dot is the where the centre pole sits.

So yeah overall.. I dont know. Its not perfect for 3 people. 1 adult and two kids (using short mats) would be fine and also have storage space but 3 full length mats im not sure how comfortable it would be.

3.jpg
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 02 Jul, 2020 8:08 pm

You are wonderful, Wildwanderer! Thank you so much for taking so much time to do some mock ups for me, that is the kind of information that was just impossible to find online.
You have certainly given me food for thought. I want the Flames Creed to work both financially and in terms of its weight, but it may not be quite the ticket, it could work though, we would just be squished in. Hmmmmm.

I am about to spend the weekend crammed in our existing 3p tent with the kids, I am going to pack my tape measure and play at geometry/maths with our set up. At least with us all laying close together, we will stay warm , while I lay awake scared of spooky stories and contemplating the best move to make with my tent purchase.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Equipment