3p lightish tent suggestions?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: 3p lightish tent suggestions?

Postby Petew » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 8:23 am

Did you end up selling your fortress? There is a guy maybe looking to buy a decent tent for the OT if it's still for sale.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 8:27 am

Petew wrote:Did you end up selling your fortress? There is a guy maybe looking to buy a decent tent for the OT if it's still for sale.

It would have been a perfect tent for him and easy to pitch on the platforms on the OT.
I did end up selling it via Gumtree yesterday and posted it off to...Tasmania! It was destined to be there.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nezumi » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 1:33 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
Petew wrote:Did you end up selling your fortress? There is a guy maybe looking to buy a decent tent for the OT if it's still for sale.

It would have been a perfect tent for him and easy to pitch on the platforms on the OT.
I did end up selling it via Gumtree yesterday and posted it off to...Tasmania! It was destined to be there.

I saw that it sold, which happily made my decision for me, which I was grateful for.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 2:21 pm

nezumi wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:

I saw that it sold, which happily made my decision for me, which I was grateful for.

Glad the Tasmanian man solved your dilemma for you, Nezumi :lol:

I ended up pulling the trigger on the 3F UL pyramid. Nearly went the TT Clouburst3 and also had a BA Copper Spur UL4 sat in a shopping cart.

My rationale was that the CB3 has small dimensions for a 3p, although did have two vestibules. It was a single skin so would have to add liner to the purchase price and increase the weight of it and it already sat at 1.7kg, not to mention the squishy fit meaning the two people on the edges would likely make contact with the tent wall.

The BA Copper Spur was HUGE and a good weight for a 4p at 2.5kg,but wasn't really tickling my fancy as I just don't like the set up of a hubbed pole tent, fly etc. Also,as some of you have pointed out, my kids will get to a point where they don't want to share a tent with me in the future, so it would be a lot of tent to carry for just them and my XMid for me.

I think we will squish in the pyramid too, to be fair, but the cash outlay was not colossal and the weight is where I am happy with. I think after seeing Wildwanderers pics that Master 10yo with his low profile , short SI mat would fit alongside me with the edge of his mat tucked under mine- he practically sleeps on my head anyway. Then my daughter can enjoy space and luxury on the other side of the pole with our gear. Then when they are wanting to sleep on their own in a year or two or five, it is not too huge of an investment to have made to need to onsell it or even just retain it for when I do quick random road trips and stealth camping with my husband.

I reckon I will get an Xmid 2p once they can sleep on their own consistently though. At that point I will either retain or onsell the 'mid. I think the suggestions of the 1p and 2p XMid combo will be absolute perfection for us in due course, just not quite ready for it yet. Until then, I will enjoy the teeth gnashing, snoring and arguing that goes on in our tent sharing adventures. Wish me luck for this coming weekend!!!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 2:44 pm

Nah. Get another 'mid exactly the same and stretch an UL tarp between them
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 2:52 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Nah. Get another 'mid exactly the same and stretch an UL tarp between them

We could make our own Native American-esque village when we camp.

Can't really go wrong for the price eh? I was so impressed with the Lanshan 2 I owned and used extensively, surprisingly good gear at an el budgo price bracket. The XMid only won out over it as it is lighter and can be pitched closer to the ground. I expect the quality on the 'mid to be up to the same standard. Pretty stoked and I have a little cash in my pocket left over from selling the Marmot tent too.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 3:03 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:We could make our own Native American-esque village when we camp.

You would need to paint them with all the spiritual signs if you want that, what paints over silnylon?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 3:37 pm

Moondog55 wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:We could make our own Native American-esque village when we camp.

You would need to paint them with all the spiritual signs if you want that, what paints over silnylon?

You can get coloured silicon ...
https://www.allfasteners.com.au/sikafle ... d-caulking - white, clear, black, grey, dark amber, brick red, sandstone...

And more colours .. but I'm not certain if it will stick long term to silnylon
https://www.allfasteners.com.au/formoa- ... ve-sealant

Note .. the supplier is bulk .. so you'd need another source.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 3:47 pm

Meant to take a pic earlier but only thought of it as I was pulling the tent down this morning and had deflated mats. This is my current tent I am hoping the 'mid will replace. Can't imagine the mid would be any squeezier than this! Despite frost this morning, I was warm sardined in between my kids.
Will set up mats in mid when it com rd and update.
Attachments
20200706_091419.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 5:31 pm

Hopefully the mid works out for you.

Looking forward to the set-up pics. What's the shipping time from china these days? (Covid impact etc)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 5:48 pm

Shipping is estimated at 13-20 days. I just checked and it hasn't been shipped yet.
I was being overly optimistic and hoping it may surprise me and be faster than expected so I could take it on a 3 day walk with the kids week after next. No chance though :roll: :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 5:00 pm

The 3FUL mid arrived last week, had a chance to put it up very quickly after night duty Fri to make sure it was all good. Took it away Sat/Sun with the kiddos.

I did order a pole extender from MLD, which cost a fortune in shipping and hasn't arrived yet. My husband reminded me I had the offcuts from the Zpacks Carbon pole jacks I bought for my X-Mid- turns out they are the perfect fit.

Decided to go around the pole configuration so that each of us could have our own little area of maximum height to sit up in, worked well. The only point where there were feet on the inner, touching the fly was at the door. My daughters and my feet were at that end, I was aware of how close the fly was sitting to the inner, so avoided it, but she had her sleeping bag against it. The other panels had points you could add lineloc or shockcord to pull that panel out even further and have it super taut. The door doesn't. Probably fiddling with the fly pitch would have fixed it, the soil was sandy so it was a tad tricky. The weather was fine and it was only one night so a damp footbox on one sleeping bag was neither here nor there. All other walls were well clear of the fly by a large margin.
Pics taken of interior before our packs etc were added in and things got messy, but still plenty of room, my pack fit between my mat and the side wall, so there was still plenty of space in the middle.

It goes up and down quickly- although I need to work out how to pitch a bit better to avoid door/inner contact, and easily fit back in the stuff sack. Total weight with the supplied pegs, extra linelock and my Zpacks pole jack was 1530g. Pretty good weight to fit the three of us in.
Attachments
20200801_155403.jpg
20200801_155403.jpg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 17718 times
20200801_140633.jpg
20200801_140633.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 17718 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 6:40 pm

Looks good. A couple of questions if I may.
1. How secure is the centre pole? No chance of the kids kicking it over?
2. Was there enough room under the fly for the boots/shoes?
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 7:59 pm

Awesome! Im glad you all fit! :D

I wonder if you stack your shoes or some other object at the door in front of the inner that will create the clearance between inner and fly you need?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 8:42 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:Looks good. A couple of questions if I may.
1. How secure is the centre pole? No chance of the kids kicking it over?
2. Was there enough room under the fly for the boots/shoes?

1. The kids knocked into it 50 billion times, okay, maybe only a dozen times and it held solid :lol: . I had it up at the full height though so it was all nice and taut. Perhaps if the pole wasn't extended as far as it needed to be, it would be less of a snug set up though.

2. When we went to bed, we lined the shoes up single file around the fly and they were not soggy this morning from dew. We left our sandals and thongs totally outside and they were really damp this morning.
I wouldn't leave shoes under the fly in the rain though, good chance of getting a puddle in them for sure.

wildwanderer wrote:Awesome! Im glad you all fit! :D

I wonder if you stack your shoes or some other object at the door in front of the inner that will create the clearance between inner and fly you need?

Thanks so much for your help Wildwanderer, being able to bounce my questions off you and see your pics really helped my decision. Shoes probably would solve the issue. I also thought about adding some shockcord to the tie out on the door and attaching it to a peg once in the tent for the night.
I was just relying on the zip to hold it taut, hooking to a peg would be annoying, but would probably help the slack that I had in that panel too. There was oodles of clearance around every other side, so I figured it was definitely user error on my behalf.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Al M » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 9:27 pm

Perhaps you should get another current model Howqa as it’s priced well and later and newer ones may have less sag in them. Nearly all tents need pegging and the Howqa doesn’t seem worse than the ones suggested above.

Anaconda has some well priced ones with 3 pole design so should be sturdy

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... BP90035738

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... BP90098919
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 8:11 am

The Howqua 3p has done a grand job for the price I paid a few years ago, but definitely time for it to just be used for car camping, bulkier and heavier than I am willing to shoulder anymore.

Hopefully the 3ful mid will do the trick until we move to 2x tents. The kids will be able to split the weight of the mid easily between themselves.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 31 Aug, 2020 1:11 pm

Should update this in case anyone is reading it through and looking for tent suggestions themselves.

The inner of the pyramid ripped this weekend just gone. The ground was hard, so once pegged out, there was no give. Not sure what my daughter was doing in there as she was supposed to be getting changed but it seemed to entail a whole lot of giggling followed by a tent tearing sound. Whatever it was clearly applied pressure to the floor and instead of the peg pulling loose, the tent floor shredded at a corner. This could be remedied with a less taut pitch or by adding shock cord to the tie outs which is what I would do in future.

I have contacted the seller, but don't imagine they will give a rats as I have already marked it as received over 15 days ago. I have decided to send it to Venus repairs in Sydney and have also bought some 2mm shock cord on ebay to add to it upon its return.

Pretty amusing that the old Howqua 3p was also on that trip (no ground sheet or molly coddling) and it came through unscathed :roll: In retrospect I should have put the nearly teenaged girls in that shelter and occupied the Mid with my son, to avoid any silliness in the more delicate tent. I did have to carry the two shelters myself though for a combined weight of 5.5kg. Eeeep.
Attachments
IMG_20200830_074219.jpg
IMG_20200830_074219.jpg (47.3 KiB) Viewed 16640 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 02 Sep, 2020 1:58 pm

Quick update- been repaired at Venus Repair Workshop already. $90 incl return post to me, very fast service and reasonable. Could have perhaps bought another inner, but there were none listed on Aliexpress currently anyway and I need the tent for lots of upcoming adventures.
Against all expectation, I just heard back from the Aliexpress seller an hour ago asking if they could see a picture. I really didn't expect that to happen, will be interesting to see what they say to the image I sent.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Equipment