Clothing advice for day hikes Victoria

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Clothing advice for day hikes Victoria

Postby gregley » Tue 19 May, 2020 5:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to hiking. I have done quite a few walks and hikes in the past, but now I'm looking to do them more often and would like to invest in some appropriate gear.

I have spent several days trying to decipher all of the advice, research and options - mainly to do with clothing - and I think it's left me more confused than when I started.

For some brief context, I am not looking at multi-day hikes at this stage. I mainly walk/hike in dry weather, but I do most during the colder months as there are fewer people (and snakes) around. The places that I hike are mainly in mountains and hills in Victoria, such as the Central Highlands, Otways and Dandenong Ranges (so cold, but not snowy).

With this in mind, I am after any advice on both the type of clothing that I should be seeking for these sorts of activities and any specific brands or products.

The whole softshell/hardshell thing is particularly confusing to me - I'm unclear as to what is an appropriate level of warmth to aim for in clothing for a Victorian winter. Almost all of the advice and reviews that I can find relates to non-Australian contexts.

Happy to clarify anything and thanks very much in advance :)
gregley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Clothing advice for day hikes Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 19 May, 2020 8:20 pm

You don't actually need all that much clothing when walking. A baselayer of some description. A light warm layer and something to keep the wind and rain off. What is important is to have a small pack in which to keep the important extras plus lunch and a water bottle.
Those important extras are a hat/beanie/balaclava, an extra warm layer and a decent raincoat/rain pants, gloves and maybe over-mittens if going up high.
I work on the assumption that I might get stuck and have to spend a nite out, in which case that raincoat might be a big poncho even if I have a Goretex or similar jacket with me.
I like to have a small pot/billy or big cup with me all the time and the means of making a fire even in the worst conditions but I admit to being a bit of a dinosaur.
Apart from that a decent small headlamp and some navigational basics apart from the smart phone. If you feel cold you walk faster or put on another layer or both but for me; even above the snowline a base layer, light jumper and a windshirt do it most of the time. Cant help with the soft shell query I don't own own, although the Macpac Pisa might be close in effect it works on a different principle and currently is replacing the LW fleece and the windshirt in a single garment.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Tue 19 May, 2020 8:56 pm

Welcome to the forum, gregley. My advice is not to overthink it and the general principle is not to wear cotton and walk in lighter clothes than you might think as you'll stay warm when walking. Carry layers to put on if it gets colder, wetter or for when you stop (you will cool down rapidly). Walking in too much gear just makes you sweat which makes you colder in the long run.

I echo what Moondog stated, most walkers in the conditions you describe would wear nylon pants or shorts, a baselayer (such as polyester or merino wool), a lightweight fleece or windbreaker if it gets windy and a waterproof jacket (hardshell) and warm layer (fleece or down) in your pack. Like Moondog this is what I wear in most conditions and it leaves a safety margin if it gets colder or you are forced to stop with an injury.

I don't recommend a softshell as they are heavy for their warmth; not very warm when static and usually too hot and sweaty to walk in. You're better off investing in a quality hardshell (which you will need to carry anyway) and a fleece. As Moondog wrote, gloves and beanie are a good idea.

Don't forget good quality wool socks and non-cotton jocks - bonds synthetic undies will do you - don't need $40+ merino jocks.

As a guide, if I am daywalking below the snowline in Vic in winter I wear trail runners, wool socks, synthetic jocks (nothing special just bonds polyester boxers), nylon hiking trousers, long sleeved polyester base layer and a baseball cap. In my pack I carry a windlayer (thin nylon wind resistant jacket to wear walking if it gets windy), a down jacket for when I stop for a break (I never wear this walking) a hardshell rain jacket (which is an essential safety item) and a beanie. That's it. The only specialty items are the waterproof hardshell, trail runners and socks, everything else you can get at a camping shop or uniqlo. You could carry an old woolly jumper or any thick fleece instead of a down jacket. If yu already have sports or work clothes (running t-shirts or polyester/nylon/fleece workwear) these will work fine. Some of the fancy layers from bushwalking shops do have some slightly better properties for wicking sweat and whatnot but they aren't necessary.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 20 May, 2020 8:46 am

I personally think that soft shells are really only good for more urban environments. Where having to hang up 2 or 3 jackets when going indoors becomes annoying.
In reality, softshells are pretty hopeless especially as they just lack versatility and most have a membrane layer which causes the insulation to get wet from your body vapours and stay wet for the rest of the trip.
A hard-shell is really the go too. Get one that is a size big and you can use it from a windy day on its own and also with a fleece or down jacket underneath on colder days when you are not moving. It becomes modular and adaptable. But it's also easier to keep stuff dry.
I.e if you get rained on with a hard-shell while your walking. Your insulative layer stays dry and when you stop and get out of the weather. You have something dry to put on. And it's a lot easier to dry your jackets if they get wet.
If you mainly plan on doing day trips, as already mentioned you don't need that much fancy clothing.
Get a good hard shell, good shoes and some armaskins (epic blister protection) and then as for shirts and pants you can pick up cheap sports clothes from kmart just read the tags and don't buy anything with cotton. Stay with wool, polyester and nylon. Even a cheap fleece works well. Although splurging on a down jacket is always nice. Lol. Often the DFOs have down jackets for pretty decent prices. When they are open that is.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Kott » Wed 20 May, 2020 9:33 am

Gregley - you already have all the clothing required to go for a day hike...socks, sneakers, shorts, pants, shirts, jumpers, sweaters and probably jackets too.

Hiking/walking is one of those things that you dont need anything special unless you are going for a longer or higher in the altitude.

The best you can take is good attitude.

If you want to splash out on new gear then sure, a good rainshell makes a good difference when its raining, a good windshirt/jacket will help to keep the breeze off.

I think the best thing for day hikes is thermos - good to have a good warm drinks when you stop :)
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mark F » Wed 20 May, 2020 11:26 am

There is heaps of information about layering on the web - well worth reading. The concept is simple, remarkably versatile and does not have to be expensive.

For me in cool to cold conditions I use a light base layer (polypropylene or similar) under a very light fleece pullover with a light wind shirt if it windy or cold. Add a rain jacket for rain. Just add/remove layers as conditions change. For cold conditions I use a long sleeve merino zip neck as the base layer. For cold conditions when stopped for lunch or in camp a light down jacket like the Uniqlo (about $100).

I have become a fan of Decathlon for cheap technical clothing. Currently using poly t shirt ($12, 120g), 100 weight 1/4 zip fleece ($18, 230g) and wind shirt with hood ($29, 120g)

For the legs synthetic (not cottton) undies - I like Uniqlo Airism. and either shorts or nylon long pants with zip-off legs.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 20 May, 2020 11:28 am

At the risk of being branded a heretic, I hiked in cotton t-shirts for years.
I always carried a spare shirt to change into once reaching camp.

I've now moved on to merino t-shirts and, while they are definitely better, the cost while starting out can be an issue.
Note that the Icebreaker outlet in Smith St sometimes has flash sales - brings the price down from nose-bleed to only eye-watering.

And, if you're not fashion-conscious, consider a pair of "zip-off leg" trousers. That way you can wear either shorts or trousers as desired.

Apart from that, fully agree with the comments above.

My usual winter rig (from the top down):
    Hat / beanie
    Buff
    Merino t-shirt, light merino mid-layer, non-insulated rain jacket
    Gloves
    Shorts or trousers
    Toe socks, boots/shoes
    Optional: down jacket if it is going to be really cold, non-insulated rain pants if it's going to be wet
ChrisJHC

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 20 May, 2020 2:36 pm

Aldi generally has a hiking clothes sale each winter. If it is on this year it should come up soon.
CraigVIC

Postby Lamont » Wed 20 May, 2020 4:07 pm

Opp shop if you haven't already got what you need. Fleeces are gold-especially light ones you can layer. Opp shops are full of the things.
Recently gave away a Patagonia 200 weight hooded grid fleece my daughter bought me from the Ocean Grove Opp shop-$3.
Would have sent it over to Moondog but only a XL and too small.
Mate loves it. There are bargains galore.
I'm with Mark on the layers -read up -then trial-Andrew Skurka has some good layering ideas which are useable for everyday use and treks.
Cheers
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby gregley » Wed 20 May, 2020 4:34 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice, really appreciate it :)
gregley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Eremophila » Wed 20 May, 2020 5:19 pm

CraigVIC wrote:Aldi generally has a hiking clothes sale each winter. If it is on this year it should come up soon.

Craig, if you're talking the Aldi ski gear, they are not having it this year :cry: Their ski socks are epic, I live in them in the colder months.

Greg - don't forget a cap in your list of spare bits & pieces. Most hoods on the more basic rain jackets don't actually keep rain off your face - until you get up in price a bit, to purchase one with a proper peaked hood. You can wear the cap under or over the rain jacket hood.

As per the above advice, just take plenty of backup layers. You'll quickly see what gets used and what can eventually be left at home.
Eremophila

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 20 May, 2020 5:58 pm

CraigVIC wrote:Aldi generally has a hiking clothes sale each winter. If it is on this year it should come up soon.
Women's merino shirts about to come on. No men's yet. Id say next couple specials.
Huntsman247

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 21 May, 2020 9:58 am

Eremophila wrote:
Craig, if you're talking the Aldi ski gear, they are not having it this year :cry: Their ski socks are epic, I live in them in the colder months.

There is a hiking gear sale separate to the snow clothes. In the past it has included packs, stoves, duck feather sleeping bags but I think it was just boots and clothes last year.

There is a lot of minor variations on a theme at Aldi. E.g., if you want an Aldi fleece you could get it from a fitness, snow, hiking, winter fashion or camping sale and they all seem similar.
CraigVIC

Postby Warin » Thu 21 May, 2020 10:24 am

There is an Aldi fleece sale ('winter essentials') coming up wed 27 May.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment