Trekking poles that go to 142 cm?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Trekking poles that go to 142 cm?

Postby emma_melbourne » Thu 14 May, 2020 9:43 am

I've just ordered the Tarptent Double Rainbow Ali, which can be freestanding with 142 cm trekking poles (or use of shorter trekking poles with extender tube).

Does anyone have any recommendation on a brand and model of trekking poles that are long for this purpose?

I prefer aluminium as I've heard and known many whose carbon trekking poles snapped on them in combination of extreme stress taking a fall with weight. But open to all ideas.

I presently have Leki Corklite poles which go to 135 cm.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Trekking poles that go to 142 cm?

Postby lseries92 » Thu 14 May, 2020 12:28 pm

The Leki Khumbu go to 145cm

https://www.leki.com/uk/product-area/tr ... 36/khumbu/

Take care when purchasing as there is a Khumbu Lite version which is the newer incarnation of your corklites plus they also have anti-shock variants as well - I have the Lite version myself ...
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 14 May, 2020 12:40 pm

A cheaper solution would be to carry a couple of short [ 100 to 155mm] aluminium or CF tubes to slip over the end spikes and a couple of small plastic cups to stop them sinking into the ground.
Want me to send you something to trial??
I may have some spares around
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby emma_melbourne » Thu 14 May, 2020 1:04 pm

Thanks for the offer @Moondog55. I have bought already some trekking pole extenders that Tarptent sell for the purpose: https://www.tarptent.com/product/trekki ... -extender/

However I think I'd rather have trekking poles that just did the job, potentially, so that it's not an extra thing I have to remember to bring with me, and find in my pack, when I want to put the Double Rainbow Li into this freestanding mode.

But I literally didn't know what trekking poles go that large, and Tarptent didn't answer the question when I asked them. (To be fair in an email with a number of questions within it.)
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Thu 14 May, 2020 1:28 pm

And thank you also @lseries92 for your suggestion of the Leki Khumbu - I'm looking into that now, and it's surprisingly inexpensive relatively speaking as well.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Thu 14 May, 2020 5:08 pm

I use Helinox Causeway DL145 and have served me well over the past 3 years.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 14 May, 2020 7:54 pm

Black diamond egro-cork get to 140cm usable and I've set them a little taller than the marks with my tarptent Notch. They are about the same weight as the Lekis already mentioned so probably just a matter of availability and price.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment