Tarp Hardware

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tarp Hardware

Postby Temple » Thu 07 May, 2020 10:28 pm

Hi all,
Does anyone have experience with the Dutchware Wasps and Hook style hardware or similar things?

I'm looking at moving to something like that for ease of use and I'd like some feedback or other local options available.

Currently I just use Paracord, VERY tempted to look at moving to the US style Lash-it or Zing-it setups they use.
Temple
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Tarp Hardware

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 07 May, 2020 11:07 pm

I use a Lash-it / Dutch Flea combination to hang my tarp.

Very simple to use and really light.

I got mine from Tier Gear in Tasmania. Not sure if they’re still selling them.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Temple » Thu 07 May, 2020 11:19 pm

Only the end hooks from what I can see - Keen for an Aussie supplier if there is anything.
Temple
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Fri 08 May, 2020 9:55 am

Temple wrote:Keen for an Aussie supplier if there is anything.

Temple - read Chris's post and type tiergear.com.au in your browser. As far as I am aware Tasmania is still part of Australia.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Petew » Fri 08 May, 2020 11:08 am

Teir Gear sell Dutch hooks and Nama claws which look pretty nifty.

Might get some myself
Petew

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 08 May, 2020 2:54 pm

First up, yes, switch to zing-it. The slow stretch of paracord make it good for some things, but zingit does a better job for most ridgelines. The only added consideration is the total movement of the anchor trees, but its easy enough to deal with. I've got one tarp set with a dutch tarpflyz (only on one end) and a short ajustable Whoopie. My little tarp has just a long whoopie for tension. Zing-it is great on its own if you have the patients for splicing. But the flyz make short work of doing adjustments. The coating on zingit make it take knots, but if they get really loaded, its a pig to pick them out. Tiergear is the place to look. Right now with the dollar being tanked it might be a while before they restock some things, but you never know.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Watertank » Fri 08 May, 2020 6:27 pm

Mark - I think Temple probably knows that Tasmania is part of Australia and had already looked at tier gear- what he means is that it appears that tier gear only sells the end hooks and he wants more than end hooks from an Aussie supplier.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Temple » Fri 08 May, 2020 10:00 pm

Bingo! Reading is the easy bit, and if Mark went to tiergear.com.au he'd see they only have the end hooks, but who am I to judge other's competency with reading lol

That setup they have with the Nama claws looks like a pretty simple option to try - AUD is in the toilet, so lack of other options may make that choice for me
Temple
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Baka Dasai » Fri 08 May, 2020 10:15 pm

I use Dutch hookworms for my tarp guy lines, and they're very simple, very reliable, and very small and light.
They'll take any cord narrower than about 2mm.
Baka Dasai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment