Hammock camping vs tents

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Hammock camping vs tents

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 3:04 pm

Just looked at the price - for quite a bit less you can get a good quality hammock and tarp from Tier Gear in Tasmania.

You will still need to provide insult action - either quilts or sleeping mat / sleeping bag - as you will for the Owly.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 3:50 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:You will still need to provide insult action ...

I love spellcheck.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 3:53 pm

north-north-west wrote:
ChrisJHC wrote:You will still need to provide insult action ...

I love spellcheck.
:)
ChrisJHC

Postby WetSocks » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 4:33 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:Just looked at the price - for quite a bit less you can get a good quality hammock and tarp from Tier Gear in Tasmania.

You will still need to provide insult action - either quilts or sleeping mat / sleeping bag - as you will for the Owly.

True. I have a decent poncho/woobie combo that I use for my daily walks already for under insulation but I'm in the market for a decent matt at a reasonable price.

What sold me was how responsive David the Owly CEO has been through the process. Don't expect to see it before the end of July in any case.

I do like the pack as a whole especially for family outings as tend to be the packmule in any case.
WetSocks
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 04 May, 2020 6:29 pm

I've seen one Tentsile set up in the wild as it where. They needed to take up two campground spots to do it, and it certainly wouldn't be suited to carry.

As for tent/hammock combos, at some point someone will break the code and make it work, so far none have made the mass market as far as I know and have remained in crowd-fund-purgatory as a product category. I'm not keen on funding that sort of thing myself, but I can see the appeal. To me they seem to make too many compromises, and often seem to have taken more design features from catalogues than experience. However, there are always good ideas out there and unless someone is trying to sell a perpetual motion machine, I'll not stand in their way. Horses for courses and all that.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Happy Pirate » Fri 08 May, 2020 10:40 pm

GregG wrote:Hey Happy Pirate, thanks for the link to Aliexpress. I found that the same seller is also advertising an even better product in the form of a double hammock with net and fly which amongst its many virtues has this: "The sky can also be removed and then come to the local pad". *&%$#! brilliant, how many times have we been out in the donga looking forward to enjoying some good quality camping when the sky lets us down? - too bright, too dull, too blue, too black, too hot too wet. Well, now we can simply remove the sky completely and, viola, our troubles are over! With the added bonus that we can go to the local pad. I love it and to think you can do all of this for just $39.99 plus postage.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah I usually bring my own sky along with me incase the sky at camp is disappointing ;-)
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Aardvark » Sat 09 May, 2020 7:37 am

Hey, now i'm beginning to get what Chicken Little meant when he said, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" :D
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby GregG » Sat 09 May, 2020 5:04 pm

I suspect they took their inspiration from Neil Finn who famously said Everywhere you go, always take the weather, the weather with you.
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Equipment