Aarn input and experiences please

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Aarn input and experiences please

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 8:04 pm

Yes, another Aarn thread. Have searched and reaad through the forum and learned lots. As we are all at a bit of a loose end at the moment thought no harm in making a fresh thread. I have been in iso the last few days awaiting CoVID19 swab results, so have had some time to ponder gear.

I tried an AARN Featherlite Freedom on a walk the year before last and liked it, just never pulled the trigger as I am a total cheapskate. I will say that although it felt great on, I thought the pockets were a bit too bulky on the front. Not sure which pockets they were though.

I used and loved my older Osprey Aura 65, even though I never needed to fully load it or even use the lid, I sold it to a forum member in 2019 as I had lost 20kg since buying it years before, so it no longer fitted.
When in Melbourne last year I tried on a stack of packs at BPL, Paddy Pallin, One Planet etc etc. Nothing really tickled ma fancy, expensive or otherwise. I didn't see a whole lot of Aarns on that trip though, worse luck. The new Auras didn't feel as good to me and I wanted to get away from lots of mesh, so just went for the cheaper Osprey Renn 50lt for the sake of having a pack to use. It is fine, it feels okay on, but not 'ooo la laa laaaaa' good.

I was planning an epic walking holiday in France this year for my 40th- that is clearly off so I am exploring perhaps finally pulling the trigger on an Aarn as I have some savings that were for the holiday and ideally I will also be able to recoup my airfares via travel insurance, which I took out before the pandemic was a thing. I am short and petite so don;t want 'mega pockets' in my face and also don't like mesh, because I rip it. So I am thinking a Peak Aspiration??? Thoughts? What about pockets? It would be for multiday walks, my gear is pretty dialed in these days so I don't need anything huge, but prefer to pack everything inside my pack rather than shoved in pockets on the outside.

I am at a loose end, so let's chat packs.

Btw my swab came back negative this afternoon, yippeyiyayyy, although am still excluded from work (in a hospital) until I am over whatever other respiratory virus I have.
Last edited by Ms_Mudd on Mon 13 Apr, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Aarn input and experiences please

Postby peregrinator » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 9:54 pm

My experience with an Aarn is that the whole point of the design is that you are balancing your load back and front: the front pockets are an essential component. Note that most of the weight of this combination is carried on your hip. Do not fear about the pockets being in ya face. Tops of the pockets are at upper chest level. From where you can take out and put back stuff very easily without having to stop walking, take the pack off and put it on again. So simple.

I haven't been enmeshed in any kind of mesh problems. Are you referring to the mesh (if that is the correct term) on the outside of the pockets? No ripping of any kind has happened or seems likely to happen for me.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 10:32 pm

:lol: like what you did there, enmeshed
Yes, the pockets with the mesh, glad that you haven't snared yours on anything.

I imagine there is a bit of a period of learning to ignore the pockets, having not used that system before I imagine I would be acutely aware of them initially.
I think from my thread trawling you have a peak aspiration with sport balance pockets? Are they the standard or short length?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 11:09 pm

I first used mine (Expedition pockets and Effortless Rhythm pack -- very stupid names but don't let that put you off) in late 2013. There was no acute, oblique, tangential or any other kind of issue in adapting to the pockets. No, I did not 'learn to ignore' them, I relished them from the start. Like I said, the whole system is so simple; plus so elegant, so well designed.

I think my pack is size L and the pockets are Regular and the hipbelt is Small. Not entirely sure of those details right now, but this is another of the beauties of the overall system. A combination of items of varying sizes can be found to match one's anatomy. That's the only bit that might take a few fit-outs at the retailer. Once this is established, you can't go wrong.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 8:23 am

I think I would rather like having all my 'stuff' handy. It usually gives me the shizzits to have to rummage in hip pockets for the things I need and I will keep walking rather than stopping for lunch as I don;t want to do a full scale pack down break scenario.

The retailer thing is a tricky one, I am in rural NSW and no retailers or opportunity to travel to one in this pandemic.
Historically speaking, I research, purchase and then hope for the best. If the best doesn't happen, someone gets a bargain here on marketplace. Which makes me being a tightwad silly, as I should just buy what I want straight up rather than trying to make do as it probably costs me more in the long run.
At this point I was thinking Peak Aspiration as the materials look more rugged or the featherlite freedom.

What do you typically stash in your pockets? Is it hard to keep them close to evenly weighted or does it not matter so much? I have done pack saddling with my horses in the past and more recently my goats (yes, I am insane) and weighting each side of their packs evenly is a big deal.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby PedroArvy » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 1:05 pm

By far the most comfortable pack I have used because it balances me. I'd am guessing here but I'd put the effect at a 3kg weight reduction. What I mean by this is:

- 13kg in an Aaran
- About as comfortable as 10kg in a non-Aarn.

That's a guess.
Need to carry out this experiment actually.

I have the Featherlite Freedom and with the standard front pockets, I can't get as much weight as I want into the front pockets. So I bought the larger pockets and use them with this pack at all times. I also feel a lot less guilty carrying things I would avoid like apples, carrots, scotch whiskey which I put in the front pockets and feel the weight is somehow invisible. Sounds crazy but that's how I feel about it.

Is there bulk at the front?
Yes but it makes no practical difference unless you stare at them an obsess.

The biggest weakness of the pack is the durability I think but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again even if it fell apart.
Last edited by PedroArvy on Tue 14 Apr, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 1:07 pm

I run the previous model of natural balance (I think) and absolutely love it. My use is probably a bit different to the average hiker as we tend to have pretty heavy loads on our hikes in and base camp for however long it takes to fish the waters within about 5 km. I carry up to 27 -28 kg and it handles it pretty well and hiking with that amount is easier than the 23 kg I have in my old macpac which I use as a training pack.
The pockets never really seem in the way but it does take a bit longer to clip up and adjust all the straps.
It is important to carry all the heavy items in the front pockets. I generally have water,beer,gas canisters etc in them.
Will add more later when I have a chance
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 1:08 pm

I'm on my second Load Limo. To my mind, there are only two negative aspects to the Aarn packs. One is that 'Small' is the smallest hipbelt and it is marginal on me when I lose what little natural padding I have over the top of the hips. That is easy enough to fix with padding inside the clothing.
A more important problem for me - and it won't bother the majority of users, who don't tend to do so much rough, off-track walking (and who generally treat their equipment more gently)- is that some bits of the harness/suspension system are a little fragile. The pack fabrics, even the external mesh on the front pockets, are pretty robust.

The packs can be fiddly to set up properly but, once adjusted to your body, they are brilliant. Tim at BPL has a video that shows exactly how to fit them and he used to (probably still does) do skype/zoom fittings as well.

It took me exactly zero time to get used to walking with the front pockets. The first LL's shakedown trip was a ten-day ramble in KNP, its second outing was a full traverse of the Western Arthurs. The pockets can get in the way with serious scrambling, but I only had to remove them twice on that traverse. And having snack foods, GPS, PLB and, most importantly, the camera gear (which is most of what goes in them) right there like that is just so convenient (although it slows you down because you take so many more photos . . . )
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby peregrinator » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 2:07 pm

Mrs Mudd, you’ve raised a good point I hadn’t considered. That of needing to travel to a distant retailer in order to get an appropriately sized product. Given that I’ve been ranting on like I’m a salesperson for Aarn, I was going to send a private message. But I’m pleased to read that others have joined in, so no longer feel so exposed on this matter.

Further, as north-north-west mentioned Tim Campbell at Backpacking Light (in Melbourne), I think it’s worth phoning Tim to ask for advice. He has been very helpful to me on questions about Aarn packs as well as other gear. (Not via the phone in my case, but I doubt that would make any difference.) My guess is that if you can provide him with accurate measurements of your body size (see Aarn website for details on that), he’d be able to confirm what you need. He may well have already sold something to a similarly sized person. Combine that with the detailed setup information on Aarn’s website and it’s more than likely you’ll be a happy customer.

To answer your question, I put heavier things in the front pockets, with the aim of getting the optimum balance of the load front and back. At the start of a trip, these things are in pockets:

Water (6 L was the most carried).
Locator beacon.
Camera.
Batteries.
Probably some food.

On the final section of a trip, the pocket’s contents will change. Usually a limited amount of water, then things such as cooking utensil and stove, gas canister, perhaps some clothing, etc. Of course that’s in addition to the things I still want to access quickly.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 2:37 pm

I really appreciate your input Perigrinator. Oh yes, the tyranny of distance ;-) I was like a kid in a candy store when we stayed at Southbank last year and could get into all the retailers in the city. Had I known my trip was going to be off this year, I would have more seriously played around with the Aarns at BPL...I probably should have anyway as I should know by now that scrimping on important bits of gear is false economy.

Ahah, good to know you store water, I had wondered whether using the pockets for items that would most likely stay the same weight would be the go, but that defeats having your consumables conveniently at hand.

Northnorthwest- your comments re: robustness of the fabrics are very encouraging indeed. What you do in Tas would probably test out gear far more than my bumblings around in NSW. I also like that the pockets took no time to get used to. Probably the idea of them is more distracting than the reality of them from what I am hearing from you experienced Aarn owners.

Meanderingflyfisher, that is quite a load. Super impressive. I know I have said it before, but I envy your skills. I like to fish, but fresh water, let alone fly fishing are skills far beyond my own scope.

I think I shall give BPL a call. I don't need to rush the purchase, any other year now would be a prime time for walking and I would want something yesterday...but time is something we all have plenty of at the moment. The money for my trip is sat there in my account, so can sit there until my exciting research is complete and reaches a conclusion. Keep any comments or pics coming, I love it!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 3:01 pm

PM incoming MsMudd
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 5:07 pm

I am enjoying this thread as well learning of similiar observations to my own.
Interesting to see PedroArvy's thoughts on weight reduction and could not put a figure on it but does seem significant.
I move heavier objects to the pockets as well when initial contents get used.I have found the more weight in the front pockets the better and have even been loaded up with extra beer just to help me out.
The only problem I have had with the front mesh pockets is losing a half empty Katadyn Befree (collapsible soft water bottle) out of one of them whilst hiking recently.This is my fault/error and have rectified the problem by making a lanyard/noose for the new one I purchased recently.So if anybody found one somewhere near Ada Lagoon in Tassie around 4-5 weeks ago it would be mine.
I sympathise with not being able to get to a shop as that is how I have bought some of my gear.I was fortunate enough that a work mate's wife had an Aarn natural balance(albeit a bit small for me) that she let me use on a local training hike and I immediately appreciated the whole concept.Coincedently when one came up on Gumtree a few weeks later(how lucky was I?) that was the same model but in my size according to their website in as new condition I jumped at it and have never looked back.
Adjusting the hip belt correctly and having the correct size is critically important in my opinion.I adjusted all the other straps,bars etc from the instructions on website and youtube.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 7:09 pm

The problem with the Aarns is that they look different.
Most people are reluctant in trying something new even if logically it makes sense.
In this case the logical bit is that having a balanced load is the way that people have used for thousands of years except for backpacks.
We all do that with shopping bags.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 9:04 pm

Franco, your comment is spot on. For millions of people around the world, the most logical way to transport things was and is to balance them on top of the skull. Which is just another way of distributing the weight over both back and front.

As for 'looking different' being a 'problem', it's only a 'problem' for people who are challenged by paradigm shifts.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joynz » Tue 14 Apr, 2020 9:09 pm

There is really no point in buying a multi-day Aarn pack without using the front balance pockets.

The pockets come in different sizes - but need to be big enough so you can put some weight in them to balance out the rear pack.

Definitely read the Aarn website about the philosophy and design. They also explain how to measure the distance between your hip and shoulder which determines your pack length.

I love my Aarn pack. Got it second hand.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 15 Apr, 2020 7:42 am

People in any sphere seem to be resistant to change, not just bushwalking. I have found across my various hobbies there seems an unfaltering adherence to tradition that does not want to explore other ideas that may work better.
I am not a traditionalist by any means, yet I still find myself (incorrectly it seems) hung up on the idea of balance pockets being a distraction.
I am ready to move into the new century though ;-)

I spoke to a lovely young man at BPL yesterday. He was explaining the various merits of each pack I was considering. I ended up liking the idea of the Peak Aspiration as the removeable lid appealed to me for some bizarre reason.

I coughed up the funds from my refunded French accomodation and bought one. Short back length, small hipbelt BUT I didn't realise there were two models on the website and I wonder whether I bought the right one. I purchased an older model, not realising, and it's capacity is 44lt vs 50lt of the 2019 model. I shall link them here.

Thoughts? I can switch to the newer model before they ship it out, so have today to decide. I believe the 2019 harness is updated too.

https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/aar ... short.html

https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/aar ... 77501.html

On 5-7 days with food, fuel and water, I never needed the lid on my Osprey 65lt, but I am aware that Osprey calculates their capacity a bit differently. I could also pack out my Montane 55lt pack for a few days okay too. I would just want enough room to be able to go up to a week without a resupply needed. I have an XMId, sub 1kg (just) down bag, 400g mat and I think pack fairly minimally for a laydeeeee
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby PedroArvy » Wed 15 Apr, 2020 11:56 am

I have found the more weight in the front pockets the better and have even been loaded up with extra beer just to help me out.

Correct, the front pockets seem to absorb luxuries at a minor penalty. I would never carry some of the luxuries I do without them as a non Aarn pack would feel too heavy.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Wed 15 Apr, 2020 12:59 pm

My own take on Aarn's packs are that they are good for carrying a heavy load. I have no experience with them but many people like them. As the weight of your load decreases the benefits of the Aarn decreases and soon becomes an annoying additional 1 to 2 kg if one is walking with ul weights. This is a bit like having a 200g drink bottle to carry a litre of water when a 30g pet bottle works perfectly well.

For me, I never carry more than 10kg starting an 7 or 8 day trip and this weight drops to 5kg or less over the duration so I wouldn't buy an Aarn or any pack over 1kg. If you have a base weight of 10+ kg then they may be worth considering.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby bernieq » Wed 15 Apr, 2020 2:05 pm

1st Aarn pack 2009 Natural Balance, 2nd NB in 2016 (a lot of off-track) - wouldn't go back to traditional design.
I'd go for the 2019 pack - weighs less but has a larger capacity. With each new release, the pack design is tweaked - usually an improvement.

In the pockets, I carry cooking gear, gas canister, camera, PLB, GPS, 1st aid, scroggin, water. Dehy dinner in container so I can start rehydration from lunchtime. Depending on conditions, also gloves, balaclava etc.

Only time the pockets have been 'in the way' is on a narrow ledge, edging around a rock outcrop. Just unclipped the top clip and let them swing out of the way.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Wed 15 Apr, 2020 3:00 pm

Mark F wrote:For me, I never carry more than 10kg starting an 7 or 8 day trip and this weight drops to 5kg or less over the duration so I wouldn't buy an Aarn or any pack over 1kg. If you have a base weight of 10+ kg then they may be worth considering.

I agree with Mark here. I have a 2015 Peak Aspiration, firstly purchased with large Exploration (9L?) and then coupled with small Sport balance pockets. This pack now comes out only in the snow sloshing season as I take a bit more gear on those hikes. And even then I'm only using the smaller pockets.

But if you are carrying 15kg + I'd certainly recommend the Aarn pack system - use the balance pockets to carry 1/3 of the total pack weight.
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris » Wed 15 Apr, 2020 5:21 pm

Mark F wrote:My own take on Aarn's packs are that they are good for carrying a heavy load.

Yes they are, but I also use mine for most day walks. On the rare occasions when I use a different pack, almost always find myself wishing I had the Aarn for 2 reasons - easy access to camera gear and lunch, and it's also more comfortable.

Of course a few people do think it looks silly, but I've been around long enough not to care :D
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Joynz » Fri 17 Apr, 2020 4:35 am

Mark F wrote:My own take on Aarn's packs are that they are good for carrying a heavy load. I have no experience with them but many people like them. As the weight of your load decreases the benefits of the Aarn decreases and soon becomes an annoying additional 1 to 2 kg if one is walking with ul weights. This is a bit like having a 200g drink bottle to carry a litre of water when a 30g pet bottle works perfectly well.

My experience with Aarn packs is that they are still great even with a lighter load (I usually start a walk with around 12kg) because their design makes the pack weight ’invisible’.

And they put no weight on the shoulders. Which is a selling point in itself.

The other great feature of my hipbelt is the stretchy soft section in the hip belt that sits over the frontal ‘pointy’ bit of your hip bone. No more bruises,

The only thing I’d change is making the small hipbelt a tiny bit smaller.
Last edited by Joynz on Fri 17 Apr, 2020 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joynz » Fri 17 Apr, 2020 4:52 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:People in any sphere seem to be resistant to change, not just bushwalking. I have found across my various hobbies there seems an unfaltering adherence to tradition that does not want to explore other ideas that may work better.
I am not a traditionalist by any means, yet I still find myself (incorrectly it seems) hung up on the idea of balance pockets being a distraction.
I am ready to move into the new century though ;-)

I spoke to a lovely young man at BPL yesterday. He was explaining the various merits of each pack I was considering. I ended up liking the idea of the Peak Aspiration as the removeable lid appealed to me for some bizarre reason.

I coughed up the funds from my refunded French accomodation and bought one. Short back length, small hipbelt BUT I didn't realise there were two models on the website and I wonder whether I bought the right one. I purchased an older model, not realising, and it's capacity is 44lt vs 50lt of the 2019 model. I shall link them here.

Thoughts? I can switch to the newer model before they ship it out, so have today to decide. I believe the 2019 harness is updated too.

https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/aar ... short.html

https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/aar ... 77501.html

On 5-7 days with food, fuel and water, I never needed the lid on my Osprey 65lt, but I am aware that Osprey calculates their capacity a bit differently. I could also pack out my Montane 55lt pack for a few days okay too. I would just want enough room to be able to go up to a week without a resupply needed. I have an XMId, sub 1kg (just) down bag, 400g mat and I think pack fairly minimally for a laydeeeee

Can you buy both and return one?
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Fri 17 Apr, 2020 8:35 am

Never had an Aarn, but have looked closely at them several times, and like the thinking.

Someone (MrsMudd?) mentioned tradition and change. Balance pockets were in use by ski tourers in Australia at least 90 years ago.

Almost certainly with the weight on the shoulders given the A Frame packs of the day, but the idea of getting some weight on the front was well understood. I asked a user what went in the front pockets, and the answer was "mainly potatoes" so the value of putting heavy compact items in the pockets was also already understood. :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Fri 17 Apr, 2020 8:44 am

I agree with MarkF. Personally I have moved away from weightier, more complex gear and towards light and simple. The Alarm packs look great for heavy loads but I just don't carry heavy loads anymore.
Petew

Postby Lamont » Fri 17 Apr, 2020 9:14 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Yes, another Aarn thread. Have searched and reaad through the forum and learned lots. As we are all at a bit of a loose end at the moment thought no harm in making a fresh thread. I have been in iso the last few days awaiting CoVID19 swab results, so have had some time to ponder gear.

I tried an AARN Featherlite Freedom on a walk the year before last and liked it, just never pulled the trigger as I am a total cheapskate. I will say that although it felt great on, I thought the pockets were a bit too bulky on the front. Not sure which pockets they were though.

I used and loved my older Osprey Aura 65, even though I never needed to fully load it or even use the lid, I sold it to a forum member in 2019 as I had lost 20kg since buying it years before, so it no longer fitted.
When in Melbourne last year I tried on a stack of packs at BPL, Paddy Pallin, One Planet etc etc. Nothing really tickled ma fancy, expensive or otherwise. I didn't see a whole lot of Aarns on that trip though, worse luck. The new Auras didn't feel as good to me and I wanted to get away from lots of mesh, so just went for the cheaper Osprey Renn 50lt for the sake of having a pack to use. It is fine, it feels okay on, but not 'ooo la laa laaaaa' good.

I was planning an epic walking holiday in France this year for my 40th- that is clearly off so I am exploring perhaps finally pulling the trigger on an Aarn as I have some savings that were for the holiday and ideally I will also be able to recoup my airfares via travel insurance, which I took out before the pandemic was a thing. I am short and petite so don;t want 'mega pockets' in my face and also don't like mesh, because I rip it. So I am thinking a Peak Aspiration??? Thoughts? What about pockets? It would be for multiday walks, my gear is pretty dialed in these days so I don't need anything huge, but prefer to pack everything inside my pack rather than shoved in pockets on the outside.

I am at a loose end, so let's chat packs.

Btw my swab came back negative this afternoon, yippeyiyayyy, although am still excluded from work (in a hospital) until I am over whatever other respiratory virus I have.

Just wondering...what's in the cup muddy?
Milo with a drop of Pa's cough medicine?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby lachmac » Fri 17 Apr, 2020 10:55 am

Hi there
Last year I resurrected my ancient 2004 Natural Balance with expedition pockets. It was in remarkably good shape and remains the most comfortable pack I've used for heavy loads.
I checked out the newest models and am envious of simplified strapping, addressing the only annoying aspect in the one I have - particularly late in the day! The separation of abrasion layer from waterproof layer is done well. Front pockets remain great for balancing heavy loads, making gear more accessible (cooking gear, snacks, camera/fishing gear etc.), and in day pack mode for side trips and exploration. If I was buying again I would seek a smaller main sack (40 ltr?) with small pockets for light loads, and extra expedition or camera pockets for longer walks and where other activities requiring more gear were the walk focus.
Regards
Lachlan
lachmac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 17 Apr, 2020 11:08 am

Lamont wrote:

Just wondering...what's in the cup muddy?
Milo with a drop of Pa's cough medicine?[/quote]

Instant Coffee and coconut milk powder...maybe a dash of something-something for the sake of palatability ;-)
I have an aeropress and travel grinder that I take on daywalks, when weight is not a consideration, I even get all fancy and take a UHT container of cream to have with it too- ooo la laaaaaa. I am a caffeine addict, total crack head for the stuff. I even bought some caffeine energy gels for multiday outings as my instant coffee doesn't give me enough of a 'hit'.

I have an Aarn Peak Aspiration enroute, I ended up going the 2019 model as suggested and paid the difference. The waist buckle is larger so should hopefully spread the load better than a smaller buckle. I am keen to try it.

I totally get the weight considerations of a heavier pack, I am not an ultralighter, but 'lightish'. I do try and keep my packweight as low as I can on anything longer than 2 days.
I think though for me sometimes, the extra weight in a pack that suits me enhances the carrying experience and isn't noticed unlike other items that may be heavier? Sounds counter intuitive, I know. Even my main daypack is over- engineered, but I find I reach for it the majority of the time over anything else lighter or less structured.

Hmm now reading back over my apparently unrelated coffee reply to Lamont, I can see why I may favour a heavier daypack :P
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 17 Apr, 2020 11:46 am

Good to hear you got what you wanted.
A :shock: coffee :shock: grinder -Hooley :shock: dooley :shock:
I think you not only lost the plot but the book it came in. :lol:
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 17 Apr, 2020 11:57 am

https://www.josiecoffee.com.au/products ... ee-grinder

This is my set up for decadent day walks or car camping. I got the aeropress last mother's day and then bought myself the grinder shortly thereafter. Smelling the beans as I grind them is all part of my addiction.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Equipment