Carrying full frame cameras

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Carrying full frame cameras

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 23 Dec, 2019 11:03 am

Hi All,

Surely there has to be a few of us on this forum that enjoy photography.
I've just upgraded my old but indestructable Nikon d5200 after much debate, research & weighing up pros & cons to a Panasonic S1.
I realise that Sony & Sigma have lighter weight offerings but pros & cons weighted up, this is my best option for my needs.
Cons is that it's damn heavy and bigger.
I could barely fit my d5200 in my pack let alone the S1 now. Going to have to downsize my tripod to offset some weight. Lol.
I'm looking for a easy access way to carry my camera that's scramble friendly (i.e fully secure) and can support the weight and size of the S1.
Spoke to a couple of people at different camera shops in the syd cbd that didn't recommend the peak design's bag strap clip due to the size of the camera.
What do you guys use? Or have you seen any thing that you could recommend?

Thanks in advance. :-)
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Carrying full frame cameras

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 23 Dec, 2019 1:04 pm

That’s a bit of rubbish from the camera store. I’ve been using Peak Design belt clips on my backpacks and messenger bag with good results on bushwalks, international tourist travels as well as just around the city, that’s paired with a Nikon D7200 or Sony A7. Yes, it’s an extra load but the improved IQ is well worth it. Accompanying, be selective of the lens one takes and compromise a bit using alternate camera support solutions. For a bit of weather protection, I use PD’s weather cover as matched to each camera and lens. Best solution for quick draw shooting.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 23 Dec, 2019 1:55 pm

Mountain goat.jpg
An Ibex in the French Alps

Hi Hunstman - ironically I've just moved out of full-frame (Canon EOS 6D) to a Fujifilm X-T3 (that's another whole story!) But for many years I carried my full-frame in a home-made carry system around my neck and virtually NEVER in my pack.

The link below will give you some idea of how the system works. Earlier this year I used it for 11 days on the Tour du Mont Blanc, and it worked brilliantly. Having your camera there ALWAYS ready for the shot (eg the attached pic of an ibex in the Alps) makes a big difference to your photography. Details here: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=24488

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby deadwood » Thu 26 Dec, 2019 10:16 am

I recently walked 28 days straight with a Canon 5d on a Peak design capture clip. I have the pro version that I think has more padding and longer screws although I do make a point of re-tightening the thumb screws every morning especially if I've recently had the clip off of the shoulder strap. I also trimmed off a bit I wasn't using to make it a little less bulky. I use a Peak design shell now as a camera cover while it is on the clip.
deadwood
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 29 Dec, 2019 7:55 am

When you said a "Full-Frame" camera I was thinking Hasselblad and Ansel Adams and large format film.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 29 Dec, 2019 10:31 am

Moondog55 wrote:When you said a "Full-Frame" camera I was thinking Hasselblad and Ansel Adams and large format film.

Move forward at least half a century! [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 29 Dec, 2019 11:35 am

GPSGuided wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:When you said a "Full-Frame" camera I was thinking Hasselblad and Ansel Adams and large format film.

Move forward at least half a century! [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Not so
My neighbor is professional photographer and he has several full frame cameras, Large format 6" * 9" film plates from memory Also some smaller units
BUT
He doesn't bushwalk with them, studio portrait work
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 07 Jun, 2020 10:41 pm

Thanks GPS Guided and Deadwood for your recommendations.
The capture clip works well with the soft-shell. In addition an elastic cord around the lens I find provides heaps more stability than just the clip on its own. I repurposed the walking pole strap on my osprey pack to do the job. Although given how will it worked, I'll be making up something similar for my other packs that don't have that built in. ImageImage
Huntsman247

Postby crollsurf » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 2:45 pm

As much as I wanted to convince myself I needed a Full Frame Camera, unless you're planning to print big, there is no need for one. Sure they let in more light which is great but the extra weight and cost made it impossible for me to justify. I upgraded to a Sony a6400 and video or photo, way way better detail than an PC or 4K TV.
Like they say, the best Camera is the one that's with you. I still leave the crop sensor a6400 at home unless the walk is specifically to get a photo.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 3:21 pm

crollsurf wrote:As much as I wanted to convince myself I needed a Full Frame Camera, unless you're planning to print big, there is no need for one. Sure they let in more light which is great but the extra weight and cost made it impossible for me to justify. I upgraded to a Sony a6400 and video or photo, way way better detail than an PC or 4K TV.
Like they say, the best Camera is the one that's with you. I still leave the crop sensor a6400 at home unless the walk is specifically to get a photo.
Hahaha yes they weigh a bit more. I guess it's a means to an end. If your only getting photos for memories than a aps-c is plenty good.
I do photography and need to go big.
I've taken plenty good pics with my old crop sensor though. Just you couldn't go too big. Too me capturing a good dynamic range and being able to take up to 1 sec tac sharp images without a tripod is important so i guess it's the weight I have to carry.
But hey if your looking to be convinced, I was comparing raw images shot at the same time with my 8yr old nikon aps-c with the latest olympus & panasonic mft's and the latest fuji aps-c which I borrowed. Only the fuji produced very marginally sharper images. The mfts where not even close to as sharp of an image. Sensor technology hasn't really improved that much. If you want to improve image quality and colours you got to go full frame.
Code: Select all
;-)
Huntsman247

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 7:53 pm

One thing I've noticed and very well known with bigger sensors is their ability to handle dim lighting as well as contrast. These are such common challenges for the bush that one really needs to be very thoughtful of how the scenes are framed and exposed. Bigger sensors just make this aspect so much easier. Then the question is, how important is it to an individual, a personal choice.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 11:40 pm

GPSGuided wrote:One thing I've noticed and very well known with bigger sensors is their ability to handle dim lighting as well as contrast. These are such common challenges for the bush that one really needs to be very thoughtful of how the scenes are framed and exposed. Bigger sensors just make this aspect so much easier. Then the question is, how important is it to an individual, a personal choice.
For sure. The extra dynamic range is awesome! Maybe medium format is the way to go? Lol
Huntsman247

Return to Equipment