Desktop version
Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.

Forum rules

TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.
Post a reply

Re: Women and men of Australia-show me your undies! Please

Sat 21 Sep, 2019 1:21 pm

I am a cyclo/tourist/camper, and don't wear underwear. When cycling, I wear padded shorts, to avoid pain on the saddle during a daily repetitive 8 hour ride. But sometimes don't wear underpants at all riding. Normally, I don't wear underwear, having not done since 1985, during my time in the army, when carrying a backpack, weapons and other associated heavy equipment, I was getting hot and sweaty down, there, with no airflow, so ended up with rashes. It is not a problem anymore. It just means I wash, my padded shorts daily if touring, or change clothes daily if at home, that is after washing.

Tue 24 Sep, 2019 7:22 am

Reporting back on the Icebreaker Anatomica brief.

I used them for 3 days over the weekend in a mix of dry and wet weather covering around 65km. I didn't love them. They rode up on me quite a bit and I was constantly readjusting them. My lower half was soaked on Saturday and they dried quite quickly under the verandah of the hut I stayed in that night. they were a size M - I'm 77kg, 188cm and lean for reference.

The search continues.

Tue 24 Sep, 2019 7:43 am

Curses. Didn't get them in the end postage was too high for a single pair to try.
Owe you a Melbourne Bitter for taking the plunge. Cheers S.
PS I have been wearing the Decathlon brief boxery undies and they do not pucker in the seam and I have never chafed with them over about 500k. Heavier fabric (slightly) than the standard airism fabric, good structure to them but poly again.

Wed 25 Sep, 2019 5:56 pm

For longer trips my go to is the Exofficio give'n'go sports mesh boxers with 3" inseam. These were perfect for both of my thru hikes (Te Araroa and PCT).
Two pair for 4 months - wear one (for a day or two), wash and have the other pair drying on outside of pack.
Comfortable, particularly with the inseam whih is great to prevent chaff and fast drying. Much faster drying than merino and the smell factor is about the same.
Merino starts out more comfortable but is not great when saturated and wears out much quicker on long trips.
https://www.amazon.com/ExOfficio-Give-N-Go-Sport-Phantom-Medium/dp/B00TB0ILM4?ref_=ast_bbp_dp
For shorter trips and colder weather I still pull out the Icebreaker boxers.

Wed 25 Sep, 2019 6:45 pm

That's a shame the icebreakers didn't work Zapurda but I'm a merino convert. They don't get clammy like synthetic. Which is very noticeable at night when your travelling light.
Why not give a Merino boxer a go. I prefer boxers, they're a bit like free-balling but they stop you getting that rash on the inside of the leg a few inches down from your crotch and they do a good job wicking away the sweat.

I imagine runners suffer from rash around the crotch and that's why they prefer briefs but as a walker I never have.

Those give'n'go sound alright though.

And the problem with all of this, is the top end undies cost $$ and you can't try then on. You have to pay your dollars and take your chances. Same with socks but other than shoes and socks, undies are probably the next most important investment you can make as a bushwalker.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Wed 25 Sep, 2019 7:44 pm

Hey Crollsurf. I am coming from merino boxers already. Been using a few pairs of Macpac ones for years and in retrospect they aren’t so bad after trying the Icebreakers. I definitely don’t want to go back to synthetic undies.

I’ll keep searching.

Thanks!

Wed 25 Sep, 2019 9:24 pm

+1 Merino boxers. Before, always chafed like a champ, much vaseline needlessly wasted.
I still sleep in cotton though. Breathes better.
Just like feet, crotch can have a bad rub day, just use the down time to clean, let air and recover at night.

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 9:22 am

Well went into Macpac and fondled some womens and mens undies. Was sorely tempted by the womens 'jockette' shaped ones but my daughter convinced me due to the lack of one feature that I would be uncomfy. If however they throw them out at a low price I would certainly try them.
Not really tempted by the mens, too heavy 180 gm/m and 'boxery', no jockette style. I have a 150gm/m Icebreaker beanie and when I wear that pulled down close to my head it is very warm. Under shorts I might cook up a storm.
Don't forget (Ta) Zapruda I owe you a beer (or two) for taking a hit to the nether region on the Icebreakers. They are 150gm/m so I was interested, but no more.
Looked at the ladies ones Matagi linked and sorely tempted but no stock. Ta anyway Matagi. Was hoping for some more options from the female perspective, oh well. I could be wrong but I think that was the only offering?
Leaves me looking at the mesh Aerodaks, Ta Turfa (60 day warranty) , the mesh ones from Hong Kong, Ta Camm (very long though) and the mesh Ex Officio Ta Gippsmick (Nylon mesh-is my preference) which all look very good.
I hope I thanked all of you that answered my question.
Given the cost and I would need two pairs not sure. If someone was to fund me I would buy a pair of the Aeros, The Honkers and the EX Os.
Might have to start up a 'go fund me some jocks' page, to put up with the 'go fund me an Uberlite' page.
Oh well, Jocks wahey.

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 7:54 pm

Hi there
I've been happy with my wundies https://www.merinocountry.com/collections/wundies, expensive but comfortable
Cheers
Lach

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 1:32 pm

My partner and I were unhappy with the 'Exoficio' undies on the Bibbulmun track and posted them home!

I (male) wear shorts that have mesh undies in them. I just washed the shorts, often by a swim, to keep them clean.

My partner (female) opted for simple cotton undies (2 pairs) and used liners for hygiene. She washed her undies periodically and rotated between them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thu 03 Oct, 2019 12:08 pm

Sounds like you are the adventurous sort Lamont and willing to try new things. This topic got me looking around and I came across Decathlon. Have you had a look at Kalenji brand from Decathlon? Interestingly there some reviews from men for the womens range. Try both the mens and womens - they are cheap. What have you got to lose.
https://decathlon.com.au/products/121847
https://decathlon.com.au/products/121488
https://decathlon.com.au/products/100152

Thu 03 Oct, 2019 12:32 pm

Good on you Mick. :D
However, have been using them since January. A shorter boxer than the one shown. Must have several hundred ks on each pair by now, bought a couple to try when they were $4.
Like the Uniqlo are best worn inside out-the seams on mine are smoother against the skin that way.
No chafe at all, the best fitting but too heavy (well heavier than the Airism mesh ones I like anyway) and sweating and smell is greater due to that.
Very well made- still look like new. More robust material and elastic waist than the Uniqlos.
The Uniqlo ones have broken down around the inner leg seam as I mentioned.
Which is fair enough as they are not made for exercising.
I wonder if the women's Decathlon ones are a lighter material? If there was a shop nearby I would check them out.
Might have to go back to Macpac and check the sheepies again.
I like the ones you linked but for that price I would want to at least see them up close.
Ta anyway
ps and yes I will try pretty much anything to see if it works. My favourite bottoms sleepwear in the tent in the milder months are the women's light airism pants. Got them on special.
Now I use them as PJs at home as well.
Cheers

Fri 04 Oct, 2019 7:10 pm

I tried a bunch and have settled on Merino Wonderpants by a lady just up the road from me in Central Vic. They are awesome. I wear them in really hot conditions for multiple days and they don't chafe or smell. They use a much lighter merino than others and are a design that doesn't have long legs to ride up. More like overseas Y front. They stay put really well.

I tried the MacPac, Icebreaker and a few other merino brands. None of them go close to Wonderpants.

https://www.wonderpants.com.au/shopmasc ... erino-masc

Tue 08 Oct, 2019 1:19 pm

Zapruda wrote:Reporting back on the Icebreaker Anatomica brief.

I used them for 3 days over the weekend in a mix of dry and wet weather covering around 65km. I didn't love them...

I wonder if the sale of Icebreaker to VF Corp back in late 2017 has anything to do with it. No longer a family Kiwi run business, all made in China now.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/343017/icebreaker-clothing-company-bought-by-us-retail-giant

Wed 09 Oct, 2019 1:28 pm

crollsurf wrote:
Zapruda wrote:Reporting back on the Icebreaker Anatomica brief.

I used them for 3 days over the weekend in a mix of dry and wet weather covering around 65km. I didn't love them...

I wonder if the sale of Icebreaker to VF Corp back in late 2017 has anything to do with it. No longer a family Kiwi run business, all made in China now.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/343017/icebreaker-clothing-company-bought-by-us-retail-giant

Haven’t seen the prices come down!

Wed 09 Oct, 2019 1:31 pm

I used the “Step One” undies recently on the Larapinta and the Great Ocean Walk.
They have Lycra panels that seem to stop chafing.
Also low odour (to me at least).
Very happy and a significant step up from my old cotton Bonds!

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 5:17 am

Serious question....is there a benefit wearing undies when hiking

I don’t own undies, not a single pair, I’ve only done two over nighters, 1 three nighter and one 7 night hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 8:03 am

@Weeds

Enculturation, most likely, or not wanting skidmarks directly on your trousers or (for men) urine dribble marks , post wee.

If your trousers/shorts fit well undies are unlikely to add any benefit unless you have serious chafe issues.

When I was in the army many of my colleagues would 'free-ball', as they called it, especially in wet tropical areas.

Underdaks are just another layer to get wet and stay damp. All this effort to find undies that 'wick' sweat to an already damp trouser layer - why not just forego the undies altogether?

Food for thought.

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 2:53 pm

weeds wrote:Serious question....is there a benefit wearing undies when hiking

I don’t own undies, not a single pair, I’ve only done two over nighters, 1 three nighter and one 7 night hike.

?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (482.5 KiB) Viewed 31054 times

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 3:04 pm

Or something from the K-man.
"I'm out there Jerry and lovin' every minute of it"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRVUe2Ha6dg

Mon 25 Nov, 2019 9:14 am

lachmac wrote:Hi there
I've been happy with my wundies https://www.merinocountry.com/collections/wundies, expensive but comfortable
Cheers
Lach

We have a winner! I've used the briefs a couple of times now and they feel as comfy as my everyday Bonds briefs. Thanks for the suggestion Lach.

I also tried a pair of 2xu compression shorts and didn't like them for bushwalking but I'm loving them for longer runs, sans modesty shorts of course.

Mon 25 Nov, 2019 2:58 pm

They looked nice- good to know Zap.
Given how much some spend on some DT socks and the region that we are discussing, I suppose it's not too outrageous.
Christmas present to self?
The chafing has not been an issue since getting the Patagonia baggies. So far they are brilliant. More air 'in there' than with my running shorts.

Sat 14 Dec, 2019 9:33 am

Got a a pair on sale. Would not pay full price. Non referral link
https://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/cloth ... ef-v2.html
Don't ride up after four trips between 15kms and 25 walking along pretty (sweaty and) quickish. No chafing and comfy.
Was going to get another pair of the Uniqlo Mesh but these -drum roll-could be tried on first!-over your undies obviously-Don't leave the shop and try them-NO returns.
By the time I paid for delivery on the Uniqlo these were the same price-far better structure and hold their shape really well, that shape is far better than any short boxery Uniqlo things I own.
They are a bit smaller in real life. Also they are mainly Nylon and I believe the smelliness from sweat is a bit less.
So fit very well and took a punt-dry as quick as Airism MESH undies. No quicker. Still quick tho'.
Worth a look.
Merino jocks to try..... next.
Attachments
Capture.PNG

Sun 15 Dec, 2019 9:31 am

weeds wrote:Serious question....is there a benefit wearing undies when hiking

Can’t beat the air flow!
Last edited by Joynz on Sun 15 Dec, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun 15 Dec, 2019 9:52 am

Just saws this pair of undies. The seams are supposed to be worn on the outside. No inseam.

https://lightheartgear.com/collections/ ... ndershorts

Fri 20 Dec, 2019 2:09 pm

There is a decade + old topic that had some good discussion of these issues - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98
Back in 2008 I bemoaned the lack of really comfortable and practical men’s underwear for the sweaty conditions of bushwalking. In 2018 when preparing to walk the Portuguese Camino, I came across the Obviously Men’s underwear range and tried the long leg boxer style, and was blown away by the total freedom from chaffing and great support. Never had any chafing or comfort issues on the entire Camino. Took two pairs and washed every night on arrival at lodgings and they are still going for daily use, supplemented now by several more pairs.
Attachments
79080862-8CE8-4DCC-90F4-7B4691D37EA9.png

Fri 20 Dec, 2019 9:11 pm

Just to extend this a bit, are there any thoughts about lycra leggings...

My specific use is for flyfishing in NZ. The purpose is to keep sandflies from biting me - they can bite through thermal leggings, but Lycra seems to provide a reasonable barrier. I have been using NRS hydroskin pants, which are 0.5mm neoprene, and offer some comfort when wet wading cooler waters, but the design causes much unhappy chaffing (sans undies), so I’m thinking that Lycra might be better for my purpose, and I’ll just cop the water temperature.

A
Post a reply