Towels

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Towels

Postby FNM » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 3:49 pm

Hi guys,

Just a query to begin with.

Do you guys carry towels? If so, what determines when you take a towel and when you go without? What type of towel do you take? Also, do you take them as multi-purpose items?

Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Towels

Postby Zapruda » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 4:50 pm

I don’t bring one no matter the length of the walk.

If it’s cold I’m not doing more than freshening the private areas.

If it’s hot, I’ll let myself dry in the sun after a dip.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 5:00 pm

My towel is a bandanna so a multi purpose item although when I got it for free I used army cotton scrim as a sweat rag and towel.
We have several of the S2S microfibre towels in the house but I don't remember ever taking one although the face washer size are good for wiping condensation from tents I am told
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 5:11 pm

Chux super wipe or similar.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 5:40 pm

Depends. Normally I'll just use my shirt or buff. If it's a day trip to swim somewhere cold (snow) then I'll bring a towel.
Huntsman247

Postby Tortoise » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 6:16 pm

Half a chux for washing (with one drop of biodegradable cleaner, which mainly stays on the chuxes), and one chux for drying. I used to take another one to wipe off the tent (cleaner-free), but I've gone to a small bit of Wettex that does a better job.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 6:43 pm

Depends on length of walk.

Overnight I dont bother. Multiday or i will be having a swim I bring coles version of chux. Weighs nothing, very absorbant and dries fast after a good wring.

coleschux.png
coleschux.png (208.04 KiB) Viewed 20782 times
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 8:30 pm

Generally get away with using a buff, though I also have the hand size sealine towels. Depends a lot on the overall goals. I've got a part of an old pack-towel that I also use as a tent mop, because I have this thing about using the same towel for me, my dishes and cleaning bird crap off my tent. Call me weird.
I do have the bigger packtowels for any time I'm staying somewhere or when the car is handy, I find them really good for that sort of thing, I find drying cotton towels to be a pain.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 9:03 pm

I take a small hand towel irrespective of the length of walk. Useful for drying stuff after rain or after a wash or a creek crossing. If its hot it's used to wipe off sweat. It weighs 100g but I prefer it to a chux. I bring the chux as well but only for a tea towel.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 04 Sep, 2019 4:04 pm

If you are going to carry a towel I can highly recommend the Aldi Microfibre ones-chopped down, it is my international towel of choice. Those MF suckers will move the water off you quick. Better than a chamois. One piece of about 50cms by 25cms so you can dry your back (packs down to nothing at about 5mm by 4 cms by 4 cms and 50 grams), does the trick when you are in accommodation that doesn't provide towels, which is all I use.
Don't use anything here, just sun/air/wind. Just don't get caught airing your nether regions to dry. :shock: :shock:
Yes, I got sprung once.

Have a Vileda wettex piece for my tent/ would not want to use that on my fine and delicate skin. :lol:
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 04 Sep, 2019 4:22 pm

I carry a small face washer - about 10cm by 10cm.

Does a “good enough” job as a towel on the one or two occasions I’ve needed to use it. I can also use it as a face washer!
ChrisJHC

Postby trekker76 » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 4:44 pm

I carry a cheapo microfibre towel. Getting feet, armpits etc dry important here. Also to get the sweat off before climbing into my tent.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby FNM » Wed 11 Sep, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks guys. I started importing Turkish textiles a while back and some of the products I import I thought could make good travel towels (instead of the microfibre type) and others that were lighter again could potentially be hiking towels, but I wasn't sure whether people actually bother with them. Anyway, I thought that if there were a handful of people here who were interested, I could send out a hiking type to receive some feedback on whether they were any good or not. Feel free to let me know if you'd like to try one.

A little info about the towels - they're flat-woven (don't expect fluffy type), made in a tiny rural village in Turkey that I have personally visited with a translator (to make sure work conditions were healthy). The village has been producing textiles for centuries. The Turkish cotton is top grade and Turkish cotton is considered a good balance between having good absorption, while also being quick drying. Anyway, I'm not trying to 'sell' the product - just want to provide some info. The ones I consider good for the hiking crew are 50 x 100cm and weigh in at about 90g. They are on the small side - almost like an XL tea towel. A 'normal' size towel is usually 70 x 140 and a bath sheet usually 100 x 180. You wouldn't want it to be your everyday towel but I've used them to dry the entire body. Outside, they tend to dry in less than hour from my experimenting, in average temp (northern NSW - ~18-20 degrees) and conditions (slight breeze, some shade, some sun).

If anyone is keen and willing to provide me with some feedback, I'm willing to part with a handful for the knowledge. Just shoot me a PM. Cheers
Attachments
turkishtowelhiking.jpg
6D260CA0-D8F0-43F4-ABFF-E247AAE3C3B9.jpeg
B8E3D441-EF09-4E44-BFD0-7C4706F10DE8.jpeg
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Thu 12 Sep, 2019 4:11 pm

Towels? In the proper sense (tea~, bath~ hand~). No, not at all. The add bulk, and serious weight when wet when not intended. My choice is just 2 super-sized CHUX wipes for walks, overnight or day. They weigh next to nothing, are very tiny to pack, super-super absorbent and very, very fast to dry, especially in the warmer months. You do not need fancy-name, uber-expensive microfibre towels. A large square of chamois from an auto accessory shop is also excellent.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Thu 12 Sep, 2019 5:14 pm

Biggles wrote:Towels? In the proper sense (tea~, bath~ hand~). No, not at all. The add bulk, and serious weight when wet when not intended. My choice is just 2 super-sized CHUX wipes for walks, overnight or day. They weigh next to nothing, are very tiny to pack, super-super absorbent and very, very fast to dry, especially in the warmer months. You do not need fancy-name, uber-expensive microfibre towels. A large square of chamois from an auto accessory shop is also excellent.

Yeah, I can understand that for day and overnight. What about when you do multi-day hikes? I guess it's heavily dependent on having somewhere available to actually wash as well - be it man made or natural. If doing a hike for a few days at least, where you know there is somewhere to wash up, do you carry a towel of some sort then or do you still stick with the chux/chamois? Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 12 Sep, 2019 5:41 pm

I rely on a Vileda All Purpose Cloth - yellow with green printing - about 400 x 290 - 17 grams - $5 for a packet of 6 - washable, they last quite a few trips. I found I can shower and dry off adequately with one wrung out a couple of times, great for cooking duties, wiping up condensation etc. One cloth lasted 50 days in the Pyrenees and another 30 days on the AAWT (Tharwa to Hotham).
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Tortoise » Thu 12 Sep, 2019 6:54 pm

FNM wrote:
Biggles wrote:Towels? In the proper sense (tea~, bath~ hand~). No, not at all. The add bulk, and serious weight when wet when not intended. My choice is just 2 super-sized CHUX wipes for walks, overnight or day. They weigh next to nothing, are very tiny to pack, super-super absorbent and very, very fast to dry, especially in the warmer months. You do not need fancy-name, uber-expensive microfibre towels. A large square of chamois from an auto accessory shop is also excellent.

Yeah, I can understand that for day and overnight. What about when you do multi-day hikes? I guess it's heavily dependent on having somewhere available to actually wash as well - be it man made or natural. If doing a hike for a few days at least, where you know there is somewhere to wash up, do you carry a towel of some sort then or do you still stick with the chux/chamois? Cheers

Yep, 1.5 chuxes for washing/drying for 10 day walks. I wash them away from waterways if needed. Anything that isn't that thin will be a drag on damp trips, and not dry out. Of course, we tend to get a lot more damp trips in Tassie...

But nothing beats a full immersion dip, weather permitting for increasingly woosy (wussy?) aging tortoises.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 2:16 pm

FNM wrote:

I usually have enough water left over from the day, or am camped close to water or a creek/river that I can scrub down, standing in my Sea to Summit kitchen sink (large) taking water back to camp where I can scrub down there. I'm fond of a skinny dip if I'm all hot and sweaty — nothing quite beats that for its renewing qualities. No towel of any type added to the kit, the Chux or chamois does it all cheap, cheerfully and efficiently. I also wrap my camera in chamois, and pad down my HSV hot chilli Commodore after the rub-a-dub-dub wash...
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Snooze » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 9:01 pm

I'm not a very experienced multi-day hiker, but did do the Overland Track with my partner this year in February. We each packed a skinny microfibre towel that had been bought cheaply from the dog accessories shelf at Daiso. (The towels actually had been bought for our dog originally.) Those towels were super light and very absorbent. They have a kind of mitten on each end. Ended up washing with one end and drying with the other. I would definitely take one again on a multi-day hike.
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby FNM » Tue 17 Sep, 2019 2:40 pm

I’ve had a few takers, willing to part with a couple more if anyone wants to try them. I prefer these to the micro fibre towels partly for feel, partly for environmental reasons - basically plastic v natural. Anyway, hit me up if keen and willing to provide feedback for me. Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BirchallOutdoors » Tue 22 Oct, 2019 10:04 am

41CF5EEC-F785-45D6-8DB0-28EF815437BB.png

I use these cheap multi-purpose micro fibre cloths. I take a couple of them out with me since they’re so small and light weight. One can easily dry me off after a swim or towel down my tent. They dry quicker than any other material I’ve used and even when they’re wet if you wring them out they still absorb water really well. I bought one of those expensive pack-towel nano micro fibre towels and it’s performs poorly in comparison. One con is they do seem to get small sticks and leaves stuck in the material if set on messy ground.
BirchallOutdoors
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby matagi » Tue 22 Oct, 2019 11:18 am

Some of us are trying to get away from synthetic towels and the environmental issues associated with microfibres, so a pack of 15 microfibre cloths isn't going to cut it I'm afraid.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 22 Oct, 2019 12:28 pm

I'm a fan of cooling towels. They dry super quick especially when you 'snap' them a few times.
Huntsman247

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 25 Oct, 2019 5:37 pm

Another vote for chux.
I write this as I lay smelling clean and fresh in my tent after walking into a town (wasn't orig plan) and nabbing a hot shower with my camp fee. First shower since the start of the week. Magnificent. One teeny chopped down bit of chux did the job. Even washed my hair. I may have used the hand dryer for that though ;-)
I did dunk myself in a river on Wed. No chux needed, just airdryed.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rosscodj » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 8:08 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Another vote for chux.
I write this as I lay smelling clean and fresh in my tent after walking into a town (wasn't orig plan) and nabbing a hot shower with my camp fee. First shower since the start of the week. Magnificent. One teeny chopped down bit of chux did the job. Even washed my hair. I may have used the hand dryer for that though ;-)
I did dunk myself in a river on Wed. No chux needed, just airdryed.

Holy moly, did you melt yesterday?!
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 12:56 pm

Thurs was the hot day here. Just finished GOW in Vic, 30+c and walked close to 30km that day. Was ratpoo tired at the end but ok, was super careful with my hydration/electrolyte balance. Day before hot as well but only 20km and dunked myself in all my clothes in the river at camp.
Apparently its been hot all week up at home?
For everyones amusement here is my hairdrying effort yesterday in Princetown. Its really cold and didnt want my wet hair making me colder. Chux sufficient for body.
Attachments
20191025_130915.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 7:35 am

Just from interest how do they compare in weave to the Shemaghs from Pakistan
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby FNM » Wed 18 Dec, 2019 2:53 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Just from interest how do they compare in weave to the Shemaghs from Pakistan

Hey MD, that is beyond my area of knowledge. The Shemagh is definitely an interesting product as well. One thing that probably is relevant is that the cotton from Pakistan is not at the same quality as Turkish cotton. In addition, Turkish cotton is pretty much agreed as being the best cotton for travel towels as it is faster drying that Egyptian cotton and a little more durable.

Sorry for the slow response - I'm living in Canada now! I'm situated in the Purcell Mountains, right next door to the Rockies of Banff Nat Park.... loving the winter season (skiing) and super excited for the summer hiking!
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 18 Dec, 2019 3:27 pm

I am Oh So Jealous. If you need a new Deep winter bag for that area don't forget I have one for sale, rated -55C too and all that.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment