Rain Options - Help me choose?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Rain Options - Help me choose?

Postby coryjohnrist » Fri 02 Aug, 2019 10:31 pm

Doing 700km of Bibbulmun Track in WA starting September 1 (should be 4ish weeks on the track), i have acquired the following pieces of gear but can't decide. I lean towards the lighter side of the base weight fence so weight and space is a factor.

1) Marmot Precip Jacket (380g) - https://www.marmot.com/precip-jacket-889169839412.html
2) Rab Vital Windshell (125g) - https://rab.equipment/eu/mens/vital-windshell-jacket
3) Helinox Umbrella One (220g) - https://www.helinox.com.au/umbrellas
4) Silnylon Rain Skirt/Kilt (65g) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285194 ... 4c4dMap77O

The two options I'm leaning towards are 1) Marmot Precip Jacket + Umbrella (600g) or 2) Rab Windshell + Umbrella (345g), both options complimented by the rain kilt of 65g.

Edit - ....or, just Precip jacket + Packcover? (i do use a garbage bag liner FYI)

The benefit of the windshell+umbrella is that i wouldn't have to worry about a pack cover in heavier rain and can stay relatively well ventilated under the umbrella, the advantage of the Marmot jacket is that i wouldn't have to hold and umbrella in light rain.

Any advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Edit - added links :)
Cheers, Cory
Last edited by coryjohnrist on Sat 03 Aug, 2019 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
coryjohnrist
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Re: Rain Options - Help me choose?

Postby Al M » Fri 02 Aug, 2019 11:08 pm

You should have weblinks to the products to help people and make it easier for others see the product and give comment.

Any decent raincoat will do even a cheap low tech waterproof nylon.

Hiking umbrella latches under the pack sternum strap so no need to hold on with hands all the time unless very windy. Unless very wide the umbrella may not cover the bottom half of pack so a pack cover is still recommended or plastic pack liner.

You definitely need the raincoat as it protects lower body when rains sideways and is the outer wind shell, part of the layering system for outdoor clothing. The umbrella alone is not enough but very useful most of the time when raining so take that as well.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Mon 05 Aug, 2019 7:45 am

umbrellas are useless if theres wind and rain...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby onward » Mon 05 Aug, 2019 4:41 pm

Did the whole Bib last year and used all of those categories of gear!
1) Marmot Precip Jacket (380g) - have one I use on the occasional day hike, wets out quickly, and is heavy, but cheap. You will need a good rain jacket, but most of the walking does not involve pushing through scrub so it doesn't have to be tough.
2) Rab Vital Windshell (125g) - I run hot, so my favourite piece of gear is a lightweight wind shell, with a base layer and active good to about 6C with a 100 weight fleece to to zero. If it's hot (above 15C) I'll often just hike in a base layer and windshell and get wet. I just have a few cheap Chinese versions, usually I take the one with the most breathability and it packs up to nothing
3) Helinox Umbrella One (220g) - https://www.helinox.com.au/umbrellas Used one lots on the Bib, where much of the first 700km (from Perth) is in forest, so it worked well, useless along the coastal section, not convinced I would take one if I walked the Bib again. I did make up some shock cord straps to hold it to my shoulder straps so I could still use two poles
4) Silnylon Rain Skirt/Kilt (65g) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285194 ... 4c4dMap77O Yep used one, (just upgraded to the newer version) basically worked great, just turn the split to the leeward side when the wind is strong. Could have lived without rain bottoms, but given the weight and how small it packs down, it adds a layer of luxury
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby norts » Mon 05 Aug, 2019 10:46 pm

I have hiked with an umbrella, Precip and a windshirt.
Love my umbrella, I attach it to my shoulder strap with two pieces of shock cord. If there is no wind it is great in the rain, also hail and snow. It is even better in hot weather, I reckon I am about 2 deg cooler with my umbrella up than with just a hat. I have used it on the Larapinta, the PCT and CDT.
Precip was my rain jacket on the AT, where you get alot of rain, "no rain, no pain no Maine. It was adequate.
I always carry a windshirt.
Windshirt and umbrella are a great combination if it is wet and no wind.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby coryjohnrist » Thu 08 Aug, 2019 10:12 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, good for for thought :)
coryjohnrist
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Rileyr » Thu 15 Aug, 2019 4:47 am

Theres the option of using a plastic pack liner to keep things dry. A bin bag works well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment