One Planet customer service again

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

One Planet customer service again

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 12:20 pm

I just dropped off my Ultra for a rejuvenation. As we were discussing how much overfill I wanted Vs what they factory thought I needed the person I was talking to noticed I no longer had the original J&H stuff sack. I said I was happy to pay for a new one as with overfill the old one would be too small and that is assuming I can find it.
I didn't know that OP are now embroidering your name on the stuff sack for you.
This is only the third Ultra bag the factory has rejuvenated and one of the others was mine, I think this bag may be the last one around. I'm hoping I manage to get another decade from it before the nylon disintegrates :D
Perhaps a 3 week turn-around as the person who does the best washing and refilling is away on leave
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: One Planet customer service again

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 06 Aug, 2019 12:30 pm

Problem
Normally I have been exceedingly happy with the customer service from the OP factory
Not this time.
I just got my Ultra bag back and they have made what I consider to be a major mistake.
They have topped up the bag but instead of the 150 grams of the highest fill power down they had in stock as discussed and paid for they have added 100 grams of 700FP down.
This isn't very good considering that the bag used 900FP down when first made. I have emailed noting my concern but so far I have not had a reply but I am hoping we can work it out amicably.
I do feel rather let down tho, as I was hoping to get a few more winters from this bag.
Adding to my concerns is that they seem to have added the down to the top half of the bag and seem to have not added any to the foot and leg area and that is where I tend to lose more heat
I haven't yet asked to speak to Andrew King as I am hoping that it can be sorted out without involving the boss but at this point I feel like asking for a refund of my $150-
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby trekker76 » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 2:02 am

Old thread Moondog but what was the outcome? I have 2 OP sleeping bags, synthetics which I am relatively happy with. The only issue was the compression sacks disintergrated fairly quickly.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 9:10 am

They have offered to do another top-up. I still haven't decided really. I could ask them to remove all the down and replace with all 800+ but against that is the fact that the bag is 29 years old, has been well used and won't be used in Alaska.
My contact admitted that a mistake had been made and was probably at a bit of to loss to explain it as the email trail only ever discussed using the highest possible fill power down.
I will probably accept the offer of rectification and have the other 100 grams added to the leg section where it appears no extra was added the first time. 100 grams divided by the 12 sections; might be a little hard to measure out 8.5 grams each tho
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby trekker76 » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 11:11 am

Do you have to mail it to them or are they in your region? 29 years is amazing. One of my bags, the Sac -5 I think is already getting a bit of material rot on one patch near the bottom, after 4.5 years, which is not abnormal for up here. Possibly lower grade materials than the down bags as well, not sure.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 11:49 am

Although the factory is only 50klicks away I will probably take up their offer of a return satchel. I take good care of my essential gear and this bag has always been used with the addition of the Mountain Designs Foxhole bivvy bag purchased at the same time. Humidity and jungle rot can ruin a bag in a season. My UL PaddyMade down bag was pretty much useless after I spent a couple of years in Nuigini
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby trekker76 » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 2:39 pm

yes its why I stuck to synthetics. A return satchel sounds like decent customer service, good one.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 9:43 am

OP emailed me a returns voucher for the post and I sent the bag back.
I'm sure this time around there will be no problem.
While I think my snow camping days might be coming to a close perhaps it's time I started saving for a new sleeping bag.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment