2019 Lanshan 1

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: 2019 Lanshan 1

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Wed 10 Jul, 2019 9:34 am

rumblepants wrote:Tossing up whether to buy this tent or an x-mid I saw someone selling on Gumtree. They want 380 for it. Is that right?

Anyway. How has it been holding up? Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance.
Rumble

I'm 185 cm and the Lanshan 1 is just big enough. My feet brush the inner tent, but there is a reasonable gap to the outer so I had no issues the one time I have actually camped in it. Plenty of storage area. Too early to say on longevity. Definitely sleeps cold, so not the best choice for winter. Love the small packed size and light weight though.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby rumblepants » Wed 10 Jul, 2019 11:38 am

Thanks @Rosscodj I thought 380 seemed excessive.

Thanks @JohnnoMcJohnno I really cant decide between the Lanshan 1 and 2. I might need to go out to a store and see if i can get in a couple of 1P tents to get a feel. I like the light weight but the Lanshan 2 is only 200 grams heavier or there abouts. Argghh decisions!

At the moment I have a Big Agnes Blacktail 2P tent hich weighs in at around 2kg. I bought this because my partner at the time was going to be hiking with me and we wanted something kind of roomy for us both. Since then we'd split up so I'll most likely be hiking solo. :(
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby Franco » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 11:31 am

"I might need to go out to a store and see if i can get in a couple of 1P tents to get a feel".
If those tents are not virtualy identical to the one you are after, I don't see how that helps.
To wit , the brand I'm connected with has 9 solo shelters. Except for one type (the Notch) that is made with two different fabrics, getting into one does not tell you how another one will feel to you.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby rumblepants » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 2:09 pm

I pulled the pin and got a Lanshan 1 off Aliexpress for 53 AUD. They got me a crazy special.

Lets see how it goes :)

Rumble
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby _Lauren_ » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 10:04 am

Hi just wondering what pole height you ended up finding to be best? I saw someone else said 120cm works well with this tent?

I am just trying to work out if I can use a normal tent pole (120cm) as opposed to an adjustable hiking pole for this tent. I don’t use hiking poles and the tent pole is cheaper/lighter/packs smaller.

Planning my first long hike :)

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:
Franco wrote:The pole height looks wrong or maybe it's just not perpendicular to the ground. The corners appear to have too much tension.
But most often these type of tents (trekking pole supported) need several trys before getting it right.
To fix I would try to release the corner tension, increase the pole height and then pull the corners in tension again.

Thanks Franco, all good tips. I did as you suggested, backed off the corners, raised the pole 5 cm and it's now looking a bit more like the tent in the advertisements. Will play around with it a bit more before I post another photo. My last 20 years of bushwalks have been with freestanding dome tents, never had a trekking pole tent before, but I'm enjoying the challenge.
_Lauren_
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Fri 06 Sep, 2019 6:04 pm

125 works for me although I note Ms Mudd reckoned 120 was better. In any case 120 should work. If it doesnt look quite right maybe you could put a rock under the pole.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Equipment