Will you close a thread on request?

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Will you close a thread on request?

Postby Stroller » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 1:42 pm

The advice in my thread is getting very repetitive and new people are no longer even reading it before just saying what everyone else has already said. I'm tired of reading new posts only to find this. How does one go about getting a thread closed for further discussion.

Ie what's the easiet way to find a moderate?
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Will you close a thread on request?

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 2:17 pm

Turn off notification in your own settings.

User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit posting defaults -> Notify me upon replies by default : No
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 5:07 pm

As GPS-G said, the first option would be to turn off notifications (assuming that's the annoying part).

If thats not enough and you really want the topic locked, the best way to get a moderator's attention (for any reason) is to click on the report button (! icon) at the top-right of the post in question (or the first post of the topic in question). Then fill in and submit the form.

I reckon if you have some good reason(s), the moderators will at least consider it.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby ribuck » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 5:15 pm

Don't make more work for the moderators.

Just edit your first post to start with a bold type request for people to read the whole thread before posting, and if they still want to post then to open a new thread.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby MickyB » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 9:05 pm

Stroller wrote:The advice in my thread is getting very repetitive and new people are no longer even reading it before just saying what everyone else has already said. I'm tired of reading new posts only to find this. How does one go about getting a thread closed for further discussion.

Stroller - Your topic was very useful and some great advice given. It could be a good reference for members now and in the future so therefore we won't lock this topic. If you have got what you've needed from the thread you could, as others have suggested, either unsubscribe from the thread or just not follow it any longer.

Stroller wrote:Ie what's the easiet way to find a moderate?

As per Son of a Beach's advice
Son of a Beach wrote: the best way to get a moderator's attention (for any reason) is to click on the report button (! icon) at the top-right of the post in question (or the first post of the topic in question). Then fill in and submit the form.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 9:56 am

The other concept users of forums should recognise is, it is not your thread. It's a communal space and participants respond not just to help the OP but to leave the knowledge and opinion for all present and future passerbys. It's a resource for all.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Forum & Site